Love This Vampire

A New Resident

"Valerie this is...."
"Alex." I interupted. "You have just turned him into a … vampire." Alex looked at me with an astonished look on his face while Dolan's lips formed into a smirk.
"Valerie has a very… impressive and strong dark gift." Dolan explained. The confused face plastered on Alex's face disappeared. "It's different for all of us." I gazed at Alex, trying to see past his big, innocent blue eyes and into his mind.
"What is she doing?" I heard Alex whisper to Dolan. Once again, he had that confused look on his face.
"Oh, you'll see." Dolan replied. He crossed his arms and smiled.
I had found it: Alex's thoughts. They showed a past full of pain and misery. A street rat. Dolan had changed a street rat into one of us. I frowned in disgust at the thought of it. That was, until I saw the rest of his past. Him being kicked by the riches on the streets and the tears that fell, there were so many. He was so sad until Dolan changed him, the one happy time in his life. I pulled back to his most recent thought.
'This girl is strange.'
"He thinks I'm strange" I said sadly. Then I smiled. "Is that true Alex? Do you really think that I'm strange?" I rushed up him and gave him what seemed like a much-needed hug for him. "You haven't seen how weird I can be." I whispered in his ear. As I pulled away I turned to Dolan. "I love him already. He's like a brother, right?" Dolan nodded. "Yes," I said, smiling. "A brother!"
While Alex was asleep that day, I talked to Dolan about our new resident.
"It's a good thing you changed him." I said, sitting on the lid of my coffin, which was slightly open. I watched my feet dangle off the edge.
"Yea?" Dolan sat down next to me. "Why's that?" I looked up into his eyes. "He was so sad, so depressed." I explained, trying my best to describe what I saw. "When you brought him in the house I could see al the hurt in him without even reading his mind. So far, the only happy time in his life was when you changed him, but I think he'll be much happier now that he's with us." I jumped up off the coffin and put my hands on my hips. "Now I have a question for you father; why did you change him?"
Dolan took a deep breath and thought for a moment. "Valerie," he said after a long pause. "Do you know why I've been teaching you everything I know?" I shook my head no. He then started to explain everything to me. "It is the way of the vampire to teach a young one like you everything then leave you out in the world alone. Vampires also age only 1/5 as fast as humans. That means that even though it's been about a year; you've only aged half of that. You're the one who has to teach Alex everything and I'm just going to stand there and watch."
I gave Dolan an astonished look. "No!" I yelled. "You're my dad. I don't want to leave you! Please?" He shook his head.
"I'm sorry Valerie." Dolan said, pulling me closely to his chest and hugging me tightly. "I don't want to do it, but I have to."
"Fine." I pulled away from him. "Besides, being on my own could be pretty cool!" Now, shoo-shoo. Offa my coffin. I wanna go to bed." Dolan laughed and stood up.
"That's the spirit!" he said, stepping into his own coffin. "You can start teaching him tomorrow."
"What?!" I said sharply, but Dolan had already shut his coffin lid.