A Rose, My Rose

Trust Me?

"Your – your eyes! They're red, Edward! This is so abnormal, almost supernatural." I cried, putting my hand across my mouth in horror. What is this? I am so confused! A laugh broke through the thickness of the room; I jumped in fright looking over to my left and saw Carlisle looking bashfully down at me.

"I apologize," he said softly, almost sincerely sounding, but the small smile tugging on the side of his mouth made me digress from that thought. My eyes squinted slightly at him.

"Please tell me what is going on, I am so confused. All I remember is being at the hospital, and that is a tad hazy. I close my eyes and I am here! I see everything! Cracks and dents in the wood panels that are 15 feet away that could only be seen a foot away. I hear things that are miles away and my smell, I smell so much!" I said easily. Too easily; with my frantic emotions I should be hyperventilating and I said that easily in one breath. In fact I didn't need to breathe at all. Though it felt very awkward.

"Dear Maggie," Carlisle sighed, and sat down on the side of the bed I was laying on. "I know that this is very upsetting, Edward woke up days ago and has yet to adjust." Adjust to what?

I frown, and Edward sighed and told Carlisle to continued, "Maggie, Edward and you are going to be adjusting to being vampires. I bit you three days ago, and now you have awoken."

My head turned slightly as I pondered his words. The side of my mouth turned up into a crooked smile that all of the Mason family inherited. He had to of been joking.

"She doesn't believe us, Carlisle." Edward said smirking; my eyes squinted at how he knew that. But the explanation that Carlisle gave would give anyone that thought.

"Thank you Edward. Marjorie I know this explanation sounds unbelievable and stupid but think about everything that has happened in the last 5 minutes. Your sight, smell, and hearing advancements. It's abnormal, almost supernatural as you would say." Carlisle joked. But this is no joking matter!

"This is no joking manner." Edward reciprocated, smirking. I felt as if I was intruding on an inside joke. Vampires, bah!

"Edward, please." Carlisle said, looking up at him almost pleadingly. Edward sighed and motioned for Carlisle to stand which he did. Edward then walked over and sat down, he put his hand on top of my own.

"Aunt Maggie," he started, I sighed. "He is unfortunately telling the truth. We are indeed vampires. Please listen to what he has to say, he is not joking." My face softens with each word he says. My poor little Edward…

"Alright," I say, giving in. Edward beams happily and looks up to Carlisle.

"We are vampires, but not the way the folklore put us. We can go into sunlight and we will not burn and garlic and holy water do nothing. Stakes couldn't pass though out tough skin so they are useless. We are almost invincible. We are fast, faster than you have ever seen, are hearing is impeccable, hearing things from miles away. And our beauty makes us different. "

"Beauty?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Yes," Carlisle answered. "I will show you in a few minutes, I need to explain to you about our diet."

I looked at him horrified. Diet. Oh god, I couldn't take someone's life from them its inhumane, yet again I am no longer human. But that doesn't change anything; I neither want nor will drink from any humans. It's despicable. Carlisle noticed my negative reaction and put on a sympathetic smile and patted my shoulder.

"It is normal for us to drink from humans," Carlisle spoke. Edward shifted uncomfortably, and I wrapped my hand around my burning neck. "But unlike normality suggests I have found a different solution, more humane." He went on.

"And it is?" I questioned, leaning forward in my bed in anticipation.

"Animals." He said simply, I stared willing him to explain a bit more. "Animals are the solution; they satisfy the thirst but it doesn't relieve it like human blood could. It also changes your eye color as well, normally it is blood red but when you drink from animals you have eyes like mine." And he gestured up to his glimmering amber eyes.

Oh. This way seemed better of the two obviously. Even though I didn't want to take an animal's life, I'd rather take it than a human.

"We call this way vegetarian." Edward concluded. "I think now would be best if we went hunting now."

Carlisle rose from the bed and stepped backward and lowered his hand to me, offering to help me up. I raised my hand and touched his, sparks going off as our hands meet, I look up to him and he just smiles and adds more pressure to mines, asking silently if I was ready to get up. I swing my legs over and my bare feet touch the hardwood floors. The feeling was abnormal; the floor was actually warm to the touch.

I stand up, expecting it to be a bit shaking since I haven't walked in a while since my illness, but surprisingly I stood up gracefully and tall, with no kinks in my body. I no longer felt sickly but strong and agile like a youngster would feel.

I looked down at my body and realized I no longer wore what I had previously when I was in the hospital but young men's trousers and shirt. I blushed, well as much as would be expected, and looked questionably at the two men around me. Neither met my eyes.

"Aunt Maggie, it would be more difficult to hunt with a dress on. Don't worry, no one will see nor judge you." Edward explained, still not meeting my eyes. I was still bothered on who changed me. I felt naked since I didn't have my correct clothing on, but I had to agree with Edward.

"Come," Carlisle said, finally letting go of my hand. He walked to the side of the room I was staying in and opened the large window door. What – were we supposed to jump? Edward smiled and slid through the window and disappeared.

Edward!

"Come on Aunt Maggie!" I heard him call out, I sighed in relief.

Carlisle held out his hand again, "Do you trust me?" He asked. I looked at him wearily but grabbed his hand because I did.