A Rose, My Rose

Monster

I laughed as I ran though the lush green forest. Everything was so… alive. My feet were bare and running so quickly that I was pretty sure that my hair was permanently vertical on my head. The ground's hardness was useless against my hard skin. Any doubts I had about me being a vampire were erased. Not a lot of people… - humans can run this speed.

I saw a large thick tree up ahead and jumped up onto one of the large branches and looked down and smiled, I was about 20 feet above the ground. I looked ahead and saw Edward zigzagging through the trees.

"Marjorie." I heard a voice call under me. I looked down and smiled at Carlisle who was looking up at me.

"Yes?" I called down.

"Come; let's see how good you do at hunting." He called up. That sounded almost like a challenge. I raised my eyebrow and smirked. I swung my torso back and then jumped and flew in the air and landed 60 feet away from where I last was.

The wind picked up and a slightly bitter smell flew through my nostrils, even though it smelts revolting it still made my mouth water and the burn in my throat soar. Unbeknownst to me my eyes also darkened considerably. I immediately took off.

My mind was in a haze, nothing mattered except the smell, the blood. I needed it. It was mine. I heard a whirling sound to the left of me, almost like footsteps. But I didn't care, I wanted that blood. Up ahead I see a flash of fur and a heartbeat. I lunge.

Something wraps around my waist. A growl rumbles into my left ear, then a snarl. I growl back instinctively. I turn and see Edward with pitch black pools for eyes. Normally I would of never done what I was about to do but I did anyways, I was a newborn.

I bare my teeth at him and put my hands on him and shove him off. He shoots back about 30 feet and rams into a tree and breaking it apart into tiny shreds. I crouch low and growl, keeping my teeth bare. He stands up and crouches also and snarls at me. This wasn't my nephew just like I was not his aunt. We were both monsters.

The animal was already gone, scared by our fighting. But this wasn't about the animal anymore, this was just fighting with no reason anymore. Both of us were feral. He springs at me and he wraps his hand around my neck and starts to pull, trying to take it off. I claw at his face but it seems to do nothing. I take my legs and kick them up under him and he trips but drags me down under him. Growls, shrieks, grunts all passed through my ears, some were mine some were Edward's. I heard someone keep call Edward and I's names but we ignored them. We were entirely focused on killing each other. Footsteps traveled away from up and seconds later the same bitter smell wafted through our noses. Our frantic and forceful fighting movements ceased. Both of our heads turned to were the scent was originated. We released and started running towards it. The scent combined into to one but then forked into different directions. We immediately split up and I head left and continue to follow it.

I hear the trickling of water close by and see a deer on the ground with its neck tore open. I immediately latch onto its neck and start to suck. The red fluid ran down my throat and cooled the burn in my throat and I nearly moaned. I dug my fingers into its neck and it broke under my fingernails but I didn't care.

The blood started to lessen and I started to whine. It became dry and I raised my head and licked my lips. I raise my head and the haze that had previously filled my mind and sense disappeared and I realized that what I had done, what I just did to this poor animal.

I looked to my right and say a little river a few feet away. I crawled to it and looked at myself and gasped.

My bronze colored hair darkened two shades and lengthened around 2 inches, now it was in the middle of my back. My skin was deathly pale; it was even paler than when I was sick. It was flawless though, the scar above my right eyebrow was gone. Not to be conceited nor vain but I was beautiful. I was pretty before but now… All of my features were enhanced and made them attractive and unique. My eyes widened though when I realized that my blue-green eyes were no more and now there was red, red like Edwards. Blood red, they were scary and hideous. I gasped even louder at what was around my mouth.

Blood.

My mouth was covered in it all around it; I had taken that poor deer's life. How could I? Oh God, I am a monster. I clutch my hand together and it felt sticky. I looked at my hand and saw the blood on them. I looked then down at my dress and noticed it was covered in blood too. I was covered in it. I started to rub my hands on my dress, trying to get the blood off of it.

"Maggie," Carlisle said behind me. I kept rubbing my hands on the dress, trying to get it off but it was just smearing it. Get it off, GET IT OFF! He puts his hand on my shoulder; I hissed and backed away from him.

"What did you do?" I whispered at him. I stared at him with distaste.

"Marjorie," He tries again but I ignore it.

"What have you done to me?" I screamed at him. He takes a step forward to me, a look of compassion and worry washes over him. I growl lowly at him.

"What I just did to Edward and the deer… I am a monster; you have turned me into a monster!" I yelled at him. I take a few steps backwards, Carlisle doesn't try to move forward anymore.

"Pleas-" He tries, I wanted nothing of it.

"Get away from me! I hate you! You did this to me!" I cried, sobs rake my body. I realized that no tears fall, "I can't even cry." I say softly in a pitiful voice. "Leave me be." I say and fall to my knees. I look down at the ground and continue to sob.

I hear footsteps back away from me and disappear. I continue to cry for a few minutes before anger consumes me again. I stand up and stare at the ground for a while.

I look up suddenly and head into the town miles away.