A Rose, My Rose

Get OUT

Days turned into months, months turned into years. I had really no sense in time or what was happening in the world I walked in. Most things past in a blur to me; all I did was hunt in the forest, talk with Edward, and wait for Carlisle to get home from his job and spend time with him. Watching him going to work every day and seeing the sun rise and set were the only things telling me the day was starting or ending. Time passed quickly for me and before I knew it two years passed before my eyes.

When I was about a year Carlisle decided to bring home a jar of human blood to test Edward and I's resistance to it. When I smelt the sweet aroma I hissed at Carlisle and ran up into my room, sat on my bead and closed my eyes – not breathing, and kept my mind occupied so I wouldn't think that someone's blood was in my living room. I had promised myself I was never to harm any humans and I was prepared to stay the rest of my life in seclusion from the world.

While Carlisle explained to me that I would able to be around humans without ripping their throats out I still didn't believe him. I didn't think I ever would. But when Carlisle brought home the blood it got Edward curious about hunting humans more than ever.

So now I was cleaning the never used kitchen while Carlisle and Edward were speaking in Carlisle office about Edward leaving. I really wanted to eavesdrop but I was too scared, scared that Edward will leave me and go out into the world and kill.

I heard the door open and two sets of feet walking out of it and into the direction of the kitchen. I still kept scrubbing the counter with soap. When they started getting closer to me I scrubbed harder. So hard that the paint on the counter started rubbing off, oops…

"Maggie," I heard Carlisle speak behind me. I hummed in response and kept scrubbing.

"Can you turn around dear and look at us." He said. I sighed and turned around. When I looked at Carlisle I could see pity and disappointment in his eyes, when I looked at Edward I saw a bit of excitement. My stomach lurched and I felt dread spread over me. No, no, no, NO!

"Aunt Maggie, I am sorry!" Edward apologized quickly. Liar!

"No! You are not going! You are not leaving!" I snapped. "You are staying here with me!" I turned around and continued scrubbing the counter, harder than ever.

"It's my choice and I want to do it." Edward said stubbornly. I slammed my fist onto the counter and my fist broke through it and left a large dent in the top.

"No Edward." Was all I said.

"I am leaving within the next week; I want you to come with me." He said.

"You know what my answer will be Edward."

"So what you killed two children? Life goes on! Get over it and stop depressing everyone with all you self-loathing. You were a newborn and had no control. Get over it and get over yourself, your just pushing everyone away." Edward yelled. I turned to face him with a murderous look on my face.

"Get out Edward! I want you to leave, and when you do, don't come crying back to me and expect me to pity you when you hate yourself." I yelled back.

"Alright everyone! Let's calm down." Carlisle said coming in between us. I stared at Edward.

"I changed my mind Carlisle; I am not leaving next week." Edward said, "I am leaving now."

"Don't come back." I hissed and ran up to my room.

I sat on my bed for what felt like hours. I replayed what he said to me over and over in my head. Was I really depressing everyone around me? I do admit that I had been distant with Edward with the past few years. At first it was because of the fight we had during our first hunt, I still hadn't apologized. Then it was when Edward talked about leaving and hunting humans.

He just got mad at me for not wanting to go with him. He know what I was like after I came back.

"He's left." Carlisle said, bringing me from my thought.

"Good." Was all I said.

He came over and sat next to me on the bed. "You don't mean that Maggie."

"I know." I said. My defensive shield falling. I lowered my head, "I shouldn't have said any of that."

"We all make mistakes." He whispered. He put his hand on my back and rubbed it softly.

"You don't." I said quietly. He laughed softly.

"Me especially."

"Why did we let him go?" I whimpered.

"We had no choice. He is no longer a boy; he's a man now and has to make his own decisions. We cannot make him do something." I said gently. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed again just thinking over all that has happened in the past years. I just didn't know what to do.

"Will he come back?" I mumbled.

"Yes he loves you too much to say behind. I bet he will be back soon, less than a month." Carlisle said. I didn't believe him. Edward was too proud to come back.

"What should I do Carlisle? He's right I am being selfish and hating myself. Making life miserable for everyone!" I cried.

"No, no!" He shushed me, "you know that isn't true. You have made my life much better than it was before you. What we need to do is get you more confident in yourself again. You are no longer a newborn and you need to start living again." I opened my mouth to protest. He silenced me with a raised eyebrow. We were quiet for a bit.

"You'll help me?" I questioned meekly. He put his hand on my jaw and raised my head. He smiled and kissed my cheek, warmth spread across my whole body. I smiled at him; if I was human I would be blushing crazily.

"You know I will."