18 AND LIFE

Chapter 2

1987...
Ricky was a young boy, he had a heart of stone.
Lived 9 to 5 and worked his fingers to the bone.
Just barely got out of school, came from the edge of town.
Fought like a switchblade so no one could take him down.
He had no money, oooh no good at home.
He walked the streets a soldier and he fought the world alone.
- From the song "18 And Life" by Skid Row

“Look at this place! It’s a damn pig sty," Ricky’s father Alf said with disgust. “You think you could’ve picked up after yourself you worthless piece of crap," Alf growled as he kicked over the television.
“You fucking arsehole! I paid for that!” Ricky yelled.
“And you’ll pay for another one too. I shouldn’t have to come home to this mess," Alf snapped.
“I’ve been working my fingers to the fucking bone! How the hell can I clean up when I’m not here?”
“Ha! Work? You call bagging groceries work? When are you going to be a man and get a real job?"
"Hey! A job is a job alright? I'm working..."
"You're pathetic," Alf slurred. "You're no son of mine."
It had been obvious to Ricky that his father had wasted another day at a pub. It had been that way for the previous eight years, since Ricky's mother died. He always turned to alcohol. Unfortunately, like father, like son.

The engine of a stolen Porsche roared as Ricky sped along the highway that led to the "other side of town". Fuelled by rage and Judas Priest's Ram It Down blaring from the stereo, Ricky knew there was no turning back.
Ricky had always been the kid in trouble, but this time he had taken it one step further. Grand theft auto wasn't a concern for Ricky, and the local police were nothing new either. This time Ricky stole the prized possession of Anthony Broughton, Ricky's enemy of five years. Not many people knew the reasoning behind their feud, but everyone knew that the two of them were trouble.
Anthony's father was a wealthy businessman. He was also the employer of Ricky's father. By so proudly swiping the car, Ricky successfully pissed off Anthony and got his Dad fired. Ricky would call that "multitasking."
Ricky so smoothly dropped the lights as he hit the road that led to Brandon's cabin by the lake.
Brandon and Ricky were like brothers, and no matter the mess Ricky was in, Brandon would always pick up the pieces.
Ricky hid the Porsche in the garage, then briskly walked to the town's centre.