18 AND LIFE

Chapter 3

"You What?!", Brandon yelled.
"I stole it," Ricky replied casually.
Brandon nodded at Joe the bartender, as he sat at the bar. Joe knew what to get Brandon as he was a regular and therefore a friend. Brandon wasn't a heavy drinker like Ricky, but spent most of his free time at a place called "Lakeview Tavern" because that's where Brandon's band had regular gigs.
"Here are the keys,” Ricky said, tossing them in front of his friend.
“Are you fucking crazy? I’m not touching those!” Brandon replied, grabbing his beer and dragging Ricky to the parking lot out back.
They were met with the privacy of silence, apart from the echo of cars in the streets and the thumping bass heard from the music played inside the pub.
“Please don’t tell me you have the damn thing parked out front.”
“No. That’d be stupid. It’s in your garage,” Ricky replied.
“My? ..... Wha....”, Brandon screeched with frustration and fear. “My garage?”, he finally managed to ask. Ricky nodded. “Well, I’m glad that wasn’t stupid,” Brandon said sarcastically.
“What the fuck was I supposed to do?” Ricky snapped.
“Not steal it maybe,” Brandon hissed.
“He had it coming, alright?” Ricky justified.
“What the hell are you going to do with it? Hold it for ransom?”
“Yeah right,” Ricky chuckled. “I dunno. I’ll try and sell it I guess.”
“No one is gonna buy it now. It’ll be all over town that you stole it, even if the cops can’t prove that you did it.”
“That’s why we gotta sell it tonight! Pete will buy it I’m sure. He can have it outstate to sell by tomorrow, no worries.”
“We? Ricky, man. You know I’ll always have your back, but this is some heavy shit dude! You stole a fucking Porsche! Not a couple of Zeppelin Cassettes. I don’t wanna get involved,” Brandon explained.
“Right. Yeah, man. I’m sorry. I’m still selling it to Pete though. Fuck. This isn’t about the cops, or even the money. I’m screwed man, we both know it. Revenge is the only thing I have to live for.”
“Look man, I have to go. My set’s about to start. Just don’t fuck this up, ok? You can crash at my place for as long as you want.”
“Yeah, thanks. Later,” Ricky said as he began to walk away.