And Then He Kissed Me On MTV

Illusion Hides The Truth

After two weeks of being in the hospital and many hours of pschiatric help I guess I'm like a new born kid now. My name is Rachael Everstein, born and raised in New Jersey by my mom and dad. They both were divorced when I was seven and until recent events I move in with my dad at seventeen. I moved out at eighteen and went to live in New York near Robin.

Which I didn't really get. I sat there pondering. I still couldn't remember it. I tried but it didn't work. I didn't think any would work anymore. I wondered if this was going to last forever but the doctors assured me a few more days of thearapy and I'd have my memory back. I wish I had it back now but hypnosis is something my mind and body rejects to. So they said I'd have to wait it out. Remember my own way.

The best thing that triggers your memory was smell, a special or precious object you cherish, pictures, and just things you do. Practically anything can bring you memory back. So they said I should go on living my life as normal as possible. But how can you live normal without any memories to back anything up?
****
Three more weeks passed by and I was free to go. I was pretty sure of who I was and now it was just the matter of getting back into my life. I was thrilled to see Robin standing by the exit doors with a small smile. It was uncomfortable at first but I realized I missed him too much to resist hugging him.

"Hey Robin." I sighed in a relief as I threw my arms around him.

"Hey Rach, you feeling better?" He chuckled with a hint of nervousness in his voice.

With a small nod I said, "Yea, I'm feeling pretty good, better than I was four weeks ago." I laughed, "The docter said it's only a manner of a few days before my memory should be jogging it up. So I decided the first thing I want to do is go see Keli and then Dallas, I heard that Dallas wasn't able to find another singer because of me."

Robin shrugged. "I helped him out but he still needs you, he can't find a replacement for Issac and he really wants you to join the band."

I struggled trying to remember the night at the show. I saw a bunch of blurry faces but I couldn't remember much. Then there was William. Dallas' rotton little brother who hated my guts for joining the band. I gagged.

"What about William?" I asked in a small voice. "He hates me."

"So? William's sixteen, he's just being a child." Robin laughed as he led me inside his blue convy. "Plus, you really think a guy like that could stop you from doing what you want?"

I thought about it, maybe the old Rachael might've been the pushover but I knew I wasn't. "Yea, who am I trying to kid, I'll join the band."

If I remember quite right, I didn't have much of a job. My dad, Ben, told the coffe shop man that I was sick and he said it's alright as long as I work on Saturdays. Today was Sunday so it'd be another week till I had to report there. This week is the time to relax in my apartment. Relax and remember. Hopefullly.
****

"Rachael!" Keli gasped as he ran to me from the doorsteps of the apartment complex. His long skinny, but strong, arms wrapped around me as I heaved, trying to catch my breath from his death gripping squeeze. "Oh Rachael! I can't believe how much I missedy you! I was so lonely because Robin kept leaving for work and I had nothing to do! I hope you don't mind that I slept in your room a couple of times and stuff, but don't worry! All your stuffs-"

Before he even got to finish I raced to the elevaters with Robin and Keli running after me quickly. "You little rat! You slept in my room! Ugh! I have to wash everything now! My clothes, probably, since your wearing my pink shirt! Why my pink shirt?! Ugh! Never mind!"

Robin gave a small snicker as he pressed the floor button while Keli pouted. "I thought half her mind was cracked." He mumbled to himself.

I smacked his head, hearing soft but clear of what he said and then he gave out a small cry, rubbing the spot I had smacked him at. "Well jeez, you wen't from funny to b*tchy all in a two second time range. Therapy getting to you-" He stopped as the elevater door opened and we all stepped out. He knew better than to finish the sentence.

I sighed in relief seeing my room perfectly intact. With a greatful sigh I lounged into my leather seat with the boys following by. Keli hesitated before sitting next to me but Robin pushed him down to his seat before he sat by me.

That night we took the time to watch some DVD's lying around, "Joan of Arcadia". It was pretty funny but sad all the same. I love these series and it helped me remember a few things, like when I first had watched it, I used to always eat coffee icecream and cry into my mother's shirt. It wasn't a very good memory since it included that lunatic mother but it was progress all the same.

We had to pause the DVD because my dad had came by to surprise me with something special. Or rather, somone special.

Behind the door was a girl, her once dark hair now hazel brown with her usual green eyes and her smiling but concerned face. She ran over to me with her arms already being thrown around me for a tight hug.

"Rachael! You're alright!" She squealed.

"Jenine!" I gawked as she let me go, oh how much she's changed since she left with Neil to the ouskirts of New York! She was much taller than I remembered her, her hair was cropped short now! Good god! Her beautiful long hair... gone!

"I'm so glad you're okay!" She sighed with a warm smile.

"I know! It was lucky Neil's friend, Alex called the hospital or else I don't know what would've happened to me."

Jenine laughed as kicked off her shoes. Robin and Keli came over. Robin smiling at Jenine giveing her a hug while Keli introduced himself quickly, "Keli, not Kelly." he chuckled.

Jenine blushed but composed herself by giving him a nod. Avoiding Keli's obvious flirt. "So how's life treating you?" She asked as we all returned to my living room again.

I shrugged. "It's been all right." I answered simply.

Robern snorted. "Psh, falling off the stage, losing your memories, and coming home only realize there was a rat who occupied your home for the past month, doesn't seem "all right" to me." Robin snickered.

Keli scowled.

Rolling my eyes I ignored his comment and turned to Jenine. "So how's life with Neil?"

Jenine blushed. She leaned into my ear whispering softly about something that made my eyes dialate to the size of golf balls. My mouth gaped wide open as she leaned back blushing madly.

"Is it going to be a girl or a boy?" I gasped.

"Girl." She mumbled.

A smile trickled onto my face as I squealed in excitement. Robin who just got the jist of it gave a small out of blace breath. "Jenine? Are you saying you're..."

"Yup, I'm going to be a mommy." She smiled softly.

Keli's face fell for a little while, a little distressed that no matter what he'd do, she'd never leave her lover. Soon he let it go and smiled. "Cool! I can be the uncle!"

"Certainly not!" Jenine snapped,

"No way! You'd end up molesting her a few given years!" I agreed.

Robin remained quiet but his smug smile said it all.

Kelie continued to scowl. "Always have to crush my dreams."

"Dreams? Ha! What a nightmare!" We all cired.
****

That night, we had a cause for a celebration. We grabbed the beer from Keli's fridge, who had been reluctant earlier but soon gave up his booze for the sake of his wonderful, yet threatening, friends.

It was a fun night, I drank as much as four bottles and I knew I was drunk when I saw my room spinning slightly. Jenine, who was the only one close to sober but not quite there, sat next to me while Robin and Keli were arguing who was more cuter, Robin, or Keli.

"So..." Jenine giggled.

"So..." I was giddy myself giving her a cute smile.

"How's the mister." A laugh escaped her lips, though she may be close to sober, she was still tipsy, feeling light and high as a bird. She leaned her head against my shoulder right after I shrugged. I stared at Robin and sighed. "He's being the usual, drunk and stupid." I snickered.

Jenine laughed but paused when she saw my gaze turning torwards Robin. That's when she lifted her head up from my shoulder. I turned to look at her to see a flash of confusion then suspicion come and go on her expression.

"I meant Alex, you're boyfriend." She said, emphasizing on the word "Boyfriend" with thickness in her voice.

"Who's Alex?" I asked in a confused voice. I could only laugh at her confusion. What on earth was she talking about?

"Alex! Alex LaFrenchie?? You're boyfriend! The one at the music fest!" Jenine's voice was in hysterics as she shook me with concern.

My head was still spinning. Alex... Alex... Didn't ring a bell.

"Alex?" I asked.

"Yes! Rachael! Alex! You're boyfriend!" She cried out, her face red with tears, "Oh god! Rachael! You can't tell me you've forgotton him! That means-Oh no!"

Both Robin and Keli ran over, their faces were dazed but urgent as they pulled Jenine off me, I was breathing hard, wow... I think Jenine drank more than she meant to. I watched as Robin pulled Jenine into my bathroom while Keli sat with me asking if I was alright.

"You alright?"

"Who's Alex?" I asked him, "I can't.... I don't know, she sounded like she was telling the truth... Do I know him?"

Keli looked at me with a long hard stare. He shook his head, though it seemed reluctant. "No." He said softly. "You don't."

I sighed in relief. "Then she's really drunk." I sighed in concern. "Maybe I should go see her and-"

"NO! Stay here!" Keli suddenly cried.

"Keli, I've hardly the time to-"

Before I could finish I felt warm lips crashing on to mine. I was slow to react. Half the time I was confused, sitting there in his arms, that were pretty strong for a skinny dude. My mind was frozen, the wheel stopped, and then it slowly lurched foward and I saw a flash of a shadow in my head and then I shoved him away.

"What was that???" I gasped furiously with a narrowed glare,

"I don't know, let's do it again and find out." He said in a abnormally serious voice.

"Let's not." I pushed his drunk arms away and got up. "I'm going to go to bed."

"Suit yourself." He laughed.

I quickly retreated, opening and closing my bedroom door. I heard muffled voices in the bathroom nearby, the walls were pretty thick so all I heard was Jenine's distressed cries. I picked my way through my closet undressing and redressing in my pajamas. When I pulled my shirt off I heard a soft tingle after I swung it off my head.

My head jerked to a shining gold glint and there was a small bracelet decorated with music charms and guitars across.

There was a girl who was blurred along with a boy. They both stood in what was my dad's house, in one of many of his empty rooms back in Jersey. Once I recognized that I saw the girl more clearly realizing it was me.

"I got you something." A soft slightly familiar voice echoed. "I'd like you to accept it."

I saw the shadowy figure, he was blurred all sorts of ways so he barely looked human as he handed me a black box.

"Wow..." I watched myself mutter.

"Here." He gently grabbed my wrist and placed the bracelet securely on it. "It's a charm bracelet with music notes and hearts. I'd thought it'd kind of remind you of me while I'm gone."

I watched as the I smiled happily. "Thanks ****" A loud buzz left the shadows name as I watched myself give him a kiss.

He smiled leaning in to kiss me back."Remember me and I'll never leave you."

I shook the bracelet I had in my hands now as I pulled my white tank top over my head. The bracelet jingled like Christmas bells and I smiled. Another past memory but it was so blurry I barely can remember what it's about. All I know is that someone gave me this as a special gift. And at the moment my number one suspect was Robin.

It's quite weird, years from now I sat in this very same room, regretting my haste suspicions but I guess I was too young... and impatient against the illusion that hid the truth.

During that time I clutched the bracelet tightly before going to bed, smiling to myself feeling the warmth of the mystery man's love.