And Then He Kissed Me On MTV

Sympathy

****
Swing, Swing from the tangles of
My heart is crushed by a former love
Can you help me find a way
To carry on again.

-The All American Rejects "Swing Swing"
****
Robin shifted in his place. He tugged his collar as he began to give a nervous smile. "Haha, Nel, Keli and his stupid nickname crap."

I nodded with a suspicious "Uh-huh..."

We stood like that for alittle while enjoying the wonder's of "awkward silences". Robin was doing a pretty good job of being a jerk by walking back towards his room. After a year of no contact, no nothing, he doesn't do a damn thing when he finally get's the chance to say something. The least he could've done was ask me how I'm doing!

"Hey!" I yelled.

Robin stopped just as he was about to turn the doorknob. "That's it? No talk? Are you avoiding me Robin?" My voice shook with pain as he struggled to get his key inside the doorknob. "That's it huh, you're just not going to talk to me anymore?"

Robin growled as he kicked the door. "Open up Keli! I know you're locking me out!"

My eyes widened. He still not listening! I reached over grabbing him by the shoulder twirling him to face me. I bit my bottom lip when I saw his agonized face. He didn't look at me. his eyes diverted to the floor staring at it with concentration. The rim of his eyes began to redden as if he held back tears.

"Robin... speak to me." I said softly. "I'm still you're friend. I thought you knew that."

Robin still didn't look. He shuddered. His breath came out shallow as he continued to stare at the ground. Moments later he looked up at me with watery eyes. I bit my lip harder feeling the droplets of blood tainting my tongue.

"We can't be friends." He said finally. "No matter how hard we try and it's not you. Really. It's just... I love you in a way you'll never love me. And with this one sided relationship, we just can't be friends."

My jaws nearly fell to the floor. We CAN'T be friends? What the hell is he talking about? Of course we still can be friends! "I, I don't get it Robin, what are you saying? That you'll never speak to me again?"

He shook his head. "No... I don't want to see you again. That's why I left in the first place." He sighed, a small smile appearing on his face. He looked awful... and it was my fault.

"I can't stand seeing you Rachael... you're hurting me." Robin croaked. His hands fell to his sides. "You're with Alex... if I start talking to you, I can't garuntee what'll happen..." He muttered something to himself that he obviously didn't want me to hear. I looked down on the carpet floors of the hallway.

"But Robin... we're friends... this is stupid." I swallowed hard. "Don't be like this."

Robin chuckled nervously. "Rachael, you have Alex to talk to and see now that you're in New York with him."

That flared me up. "You know what? Fine! Be like that!" I growled. "You don't know anything do you? Alex barely has time for me right now! I don't have anyone I know that lives here! So far I've got this prick in the a*ss named Keli-"

"Hey!" A voice banged through the door but I ignored it as I continued to yell at Robin.

"He's famous now! What did you think? He'd have more time to spare with me? He's got shows to be at and songs to write!" I nearly sobbed thinking about how I missed the old Alex. The Alex who at least had the time to talk to me fore an hour. Now he only has time to say "Hi, bye, I love you."

"Rachael..." Robin sighed. "I-"

"I don't need your sympathy Robin, I need your friendship." I growled through welling tears.

"But Rachael-"

"Robin..." The tears finally welled over. I started to silently cry. I missed Robin so much! For the past year, I was hurt not even hearing one "hello" from him. and now that I see him, he doesn't want to speak to me anymore. How can he do that? I get that our relationship was totally bombed but... does he have to be so stupid?

Robin stood there swallowing hard and then, I felt two warm arms wrapping around me. I wanted to tell him to let go but the words were just stuck there in my throat unwilling to get out.

"I'm sorry if I shouldn't be doing this... but... I you gotta cut me some slack, it's been a year after all." Robin finally said softly.

And then I lifted my arms up to give him a soft embrace, wishing this meant he was willing to at least be my friend.

Rachael:
Image