And Then He Kissed Me On MTV

$750 A Gig!? Holy-

"Well I guess you can have a job here." A man who looked like he was in his late thirties shrugged handing me information on the coffee shop hours. "Okay, well this here is my phone number, that's my name, Ricky, but you can call me Jackson, I like my last name better."

I grabbed the papers and stared at the hours. I only had to work three time a week for seven hours. Not bad I guess. At least it'll pay the rent. "Thanks Jackson."

"No, thank YOU, a girl and a guy that worked here just suddenly dissapeared, you watch the news honey?" Jackson asked as he began to dry a mug.

I shrugged. "Eh, sometimes." I replied.

"Well, you hear about the southern massacre? Last night or something? Everyone died and one girl was kidnapped and her brother was killed." Jackson sighed. "I don't know what's going on in this crazy city anymore I just hope she's alright... you watch yourself too sweetheart, I don't want to lose anymore workers..."

My eyes widened in shock as I stared at the tiled floors. I'm in the south side of Manhattan... her apartment must be nearby here. I better becareful from now on. I looked up and Jackson and smiled. "I'll be sure to watch my back."

"Right-O, now you start work tomorrow at seven in the morning, come on time but if you come late make sure I don't see you." He grinned.

I laughed nervously, god it's going to be a pain waking up that early. "No problem." I said half heartedly.
****
When I got back outside I took a deep breath and sighed. Work. I've got a job but it doesn't pay good enough for all my needs so guess what's next.

More job seeking.

The streets of Manhattan were so pack today! Saturday was so busy here! Well busier than usual. i couldn't cross a damn street without waiting at least five minutes! Ugh, my poor legs.

I saw a couple of signs at Jazz bars looking for worker. More specifically, singers. I tore my eyes away looking for something that'd be easy. So far I haven't seen a Safeway or some kind of decent convenient store.

Spotting a bench at a nearby BISTRO, I took a break on it staring at the forever-moving city. This is getting pretty hopeless. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to call my dad for some money, which I swore to myself I wouldn't do. It's like telling someone you're growing up, they give you you're freedom only to find out you're not grown up. It sucks. He's going to get more worried and ask me to come home. I have to show dad that I can live on my own.

"Fine! Fire me! See if I give a shit you fat ugly prick!"

I felt a weight set itself next to me. I took a deep breath inhaling the smell of cigarette's and spear mint. I shifted my eyes to the guy sitting next to me who seemed to be taking a smoke now. He wore a white aeropostale jacket and his hair was jet black, I could see the faintest remains of his blonde hair sticking very faintly from his bundle of hair.

Image

"What are you staring at bimbo? Turn the other f*cking way and mind your own buiness." He snapped.

My eyes flickered furiously at him as I shifted my head to back to the the crowded streets. I felt my breaths become shallow as the guy continued to smoke. A puff of smoke came my way making my eyes water and I turned to him with a menacing look and glared.

"Would you mine smoking in the other direction?" I snapped.

He looked at me funny, the cigarrete hanging slightly in his agaped mouth as his tongue held it. "Scuse me?"

"You heard me, smoke the other way, my eyes are crying murder here!" I hissed jerking my head towards the opposite direction of me.

"Look chick, I'm having a bad day, you've got a problem about how I smoke then sit your small little bum somewhere else because as far as I'm concerned," He crossed his legs leaning back against the bench inhaling the nicotine from the smoke. "This is my bench."

"Really? I don't see your name on it." I growled until he lifted himself off the seat to show his signature on the seat. "Dallas Heart" Hey, I've heard of that name before...

"My name is right there." He said smartly. I looked up at him and sighed while rolling my eyes. He stopped suddenly leaning into my face. Surprised I pushed him away, heart racing, "Hey watch it freak!" I snapped.

First Keli, then Robin, now some freak named Dallas. Ugh! What is with New York???

"Sorry, you just look strangley like... holy... you're Rachael Everstein! From MTV with that guy Alex La-something!" He almost laughed as he sat back down and I felt my face flush again.

So how many people DO watch MTV??

"He-y, I don't suppose... since you date a music artist that you... well, do you happen to know how to sing?" He asked.

"Well er-" At first I didn't know what to say. I haven't sung since I was just a kid, but Dallas cut in.

"Because I'm looking for a temporary singer until a friend of mine comes back, his name is Issac but, he kind of dissapeared, I don't know when he's coming back but my band and I can't wait, we've got gigs to be at and we need someone." He spit out his cigarrete on the concrete floor crushing it with his etnies.

"Well I don't think I should because-"

"We'll pay you!" He added quickly. "We've got five gigs to show at and we'll pay seven hundred and fifty for each one you sing for."

"-Say what?"