And Then He Kissed Me On MTV

Fallen Grace

****
Bend me, break me
Anyway you need me
All I want is you...
Bend me break me
Anyway you need me
All I want is you...
-Paranoid "Garbage"
****

"You know the only reason I came here was because you need to practice these five songs!" Dallas moaned tugging at my ankles.

It was eight in the morning. I really don't know why I answered the door that early. I don't even know how Dallas KNEW where I lived. It pratically scared the living ghost out of me when I saw him at my door with this shiny morning gleam glowing off his face. It made me gag.

"It's still too early..." I groaned miserably. "Can't you at least let me freshen up?"

Dallas sat there, his fingers trembling in pure anxiety as his gaze went back and forth from the clock that hung on the far side of the living room. He gave a small sigh and nodded quickly. "Just hurry."

I rolled my eyes. "You can't rush these things, a shower is something I enjoy, the warm steaming-"

"Go!"

"Fine! Jesus!" What a crank.
****
"Issac's a guy right?" I asked him as I stared at the lyrics with a long glare.

"Of course, I don't know a girl that would have that name, why?" Dallas answered as he held his acoustic guitar in his hands. His finger entertwined with the small nobs at the end of hte neck, turning the guitar so the notes wouldn't come out like a bleugh!

"These lyrics are... feminine..." I muttered.

"So I tweaked it up alittle, I can't have you sing about loving girls, that'd be weird." He said finished up as he grabbed a guitar pick. "Now you ready?"

"Not that I have a choice." I sighed, "Alright, let's begin."

As he plucked the guitar strums, I opened my mouth and began to sing for the first time since I was a kid.

"Tell me, tell me why..."
****
"Welcome to the October Rock Festival of 2008!" A man stood over a stage in the under bright pink lights. "This is our very first time coming here to New York and we'd all like to wish a wicked fest this year!"

In the crowds, they began screaming, jumping, and waving their arms with joy. Most of them were goths, scene, and a handfull where just people stopping by to see what's going on. I stood with Dallas getting to know his band. Turns out it's three guitarists, and a drummer. Ever weirder, they were all family related. Two of the guitarists where Dallas' cousins Eddy and John, the last one was his younger brother William. All of them had jet black hair, grey or green eyes, William was the only one who stood out with lime green, blonde, and hot pink died into his hair.

"So your the filler?" William spat in a venomous tone.

I was just about to chew his head off when Dallas jumped in with his guitar neck pointed at William. "Shove it up your buttcrack William, this is no time to start acting like a baby."

"Dallas!" Keli grinned walking over to us with a large put together grin, "What! A coincidence!" His voice was full of fake surprise as he gave me a quick hug and bone crushing one to Dallas.

I rolled my eyes giving him a small shove and pointed at Dallas. "Keli! You got me into this whole band thing didn't you!"

"I don't know what you're talking about Rachael, did you get a good night's sleep?" He winked, most likely referring to Alex coming over.

My face fell, and Keli immediately changed the subject. "So did you get enough practice?"

I shrugged. "Barely."

"Not enough." Dallas added. "But it'll have to do since it's so last minute, after tonight we've got another show in three days, that'll be plenty practice then."

William coughed and walked off to the drink stand. Dallas gave a tired sigh and beckoned his cousins to go after his rotton brother. "We need him, he's such a spoiled diva, but don't call him that or you'll really be in for it."

"Hey Keli! Stage time!" Robin's voice rang, shattering everything, as soon as he walked over I jumped to him with a large hug. It felt like I hadn't seen him in years, to me, he was the only peice of home I had in New York. Everybody gawked of course, even Robin, but I didn't care, I really needed this hug.

"Wow, is it my hair?" Robin grinned as he gave me a quick hug back. "So Lil Keli got you a spot in the spotlight... excuse the pun." He chuckled.

Keli waved his hands and then smacked his forehead as I turned around to face him with an ugly glare. "So it WAS you!"

"I was trying to help!" Keli whined.

"Ugh..." I growled. Not that I wasn't glad about this, but if my suspicions are correct he used me to help Dallas' band out, not me, I was just a silver lining in his cloudy moments.

"Well gotta go, our band is up, and then you guys will go up in about twenty so either watch our show or have a walk around." Robin said, though he sounded like he WANTED us to watch his show.

I watched Dallas shrug. "I'm gonna just walk around and take a smoke," he walked off by himself leaving me to stay and watch the show. "I guess I'll watch, it's been a while since I've heard your music." I smiled as Robin led me towards his stage.

"Cool, well do I have a surprise for you!" He grinned.

Robin's show was just about perfect. He played beautiful music, but I couldn't help but feel horrible when he played them. He played that same song he sang at TSP back in Jersey. I nearly cried again but when I saw Robin smile I blinked them away and gave my loudest cheer.

"That's all for now! Emily Lies has a stand near the back, we're giving out free CD's and buttons so get em' now before their-"

And the crowd rushed off to the merchandise tent and Robin laughed into the mic before helping his band clean up. Behind them Keli was helping Dallas with their equipment and I climbed over helping them set up. It didn't take long, It was fast work with both Robin's band helping Dallas'.

"All set," Dallas said as he got to his mic and guitar, I stood in the middle of the stage with a mic in front of me. William was on the otherside with his guitar, behind was John on the drums and Eddy on his bass guitar. "Sup New York City!" Dallas shouted into the mic, "How's everyone's evening?"

The crowd screamed, waved, I didn't realize how popular their band must be! "Fall Of Grace here and we hope you enjoy our new songs sung by our sub vocal Rachael Everstein!"

The crowd wasn't as excited but they cheered despite the fact that Issac was missing. The music started to play.

I took a deep breath,

and began to sing...

"This is the last song, written a while back for my sister... who died a few years back from cancer..." He pulled away from the mic and whispered the song into my ear and I nodded taking the mic.

"Tell me, tell me why
The snow is white
But I can't wash it all away

You left last spring
You went to find something
You could see but could never speak

West winds will wash you away
Love will lift you off the ground, don't be afraid

Grace will fly you home again
My heart's crying for change
For the road to bend, to be home again
And grace is where I end and you begin
My love, my friend

It's a beautiful night
My eyes have seen no light
The sunset was the last thing on my mind

I feel your hands
You shake my face
And tell me it's okay to believe

West winds will wash you away
Love will lift you off the ground, don't be afraid

Grace will fly you home again
My heart's crying for change
For the road to bend, to be home again
And grace is where I end and you begin
My love, my friend

Grace, it's all around you
The sky is white
I'm ready to be baptized

You're all around me, yeah
All around me

Yeah (yeah)
Yeah

Grace will fly you home again
Where you're standing in the doorway
Singing songs to my old poetry

Grace will fly you home again
My heart's crying for a change
For this pain to end, to be home again
And grace is where I end and you begin

That's why I feel your heart and I know
That you can be my way
And I'll say my love"
[Grace "1997"]

Though the song was over, everybody still chanted the chorus and Dallas smiled and when the voices died down he thanked them and announced the merchandise tent nearby. The crowd slowly dissipated as we cleaned up the equipment. We finished in no time and Dallas left for another smoke.

I was surprised to find Robin standing there with a smile.

"You didn't tell me you were a singer." He grinned jumping onto the stage. "I heard the first song you sang before I went off to check with my manager."

"Oh?" I laughed, "Well I am Ben's daughter."

"Yea, I guess it's genes. " He teased. "Anyway, what else did you guys sing?"

"My Heart, Let The Flames Begin, and... Grace." The last song sent Robin sputtering.

"G-grace?" He asked He paused pondering and then sighed. "Well it is about that time he muttered. "I just wanted to say congratulations on your show, I'm sorry I can't spend more time with you but we've got hit the road, there's an emergency in the studios." He gave me a quick hug before leaving.

As he left I turned around to see Alex leaning against the curtains. I don't know how long he was there but he looked eerily dark in the shadows the way he stood. I swallowed hard approaching him slowly. "Hey..."

"So it's that band." He muttered. His eyebrows furrowed, this expression was so familiar I couldn't quite remember where I've seen it though. "Grace huh..."

"Yea, did you like that song?" I asked wondering how everyone new that song. Robin yes, Alex, no. I don't know how he could know that song, I don't think he know's Dallas...

"I want you to quit the band." Alex said, his voice was harsh as he stepped out from the curtains. "Quit the band now."

"Why?" I asked him with peircing tone. "You can't just tell me to quit like you own me." I snapped. "I didn't know you were THAT conceited."

"That's not what it is, just trust me Rachael, quit the band."

"No." I muttered. "I'm not quiting, I need this job and I need the money, unless you've got a good reason for me to quit, I'm not leaving them."

"Just quit the damn band Rachael or we're OVER!" He barked, breathing hard, his face was flushed with anger as he stood in a stiff position as if he was going to hurt me.

I was scared. I took a step back from him, towards the edge of the stage and stood there shaking my head, "You changed." I managed in a shaky voice. "If you're going to break up with me for a stupid thing like this then I'll end it now." I said in a forceful voice, feeling tears swell up. "I don't know you anymore..."

Alex's face fell. He stood there, shaking viloently and the next few even that's happened were all a blur to me. I heard a familiar voice screaming a then a shove at my chest. My foot tumbled over the ground lights as I fell off the five foot stage, I tried to grab a hold of something but seeing as there was only Alex I withdrew my hand and then darkness.

"RACHAEL!"

Grace will fly you home again. My heart's crying for a change for this pain to end, to be home again, and grace is where I end and you begin...