‹ Prequel: Accidents Happen

Tragic Romance

'I hate myself'

"What's up, Rockstar?" I questioned Zack later that night as he stood outside smoking a cigarette. He just shook his head and took another drag, "Not a thing," I took his smoke from his mouth and put it to mine, breathing in the smoke that would kill me someday.
"Is that a good thing?" I asked, handing it back to him.
He bit his lip, "No,"
I leaned against the wall as I studied his face, he was looking straight ahead, nibbling on his lip rings. I raked my eyes from his head to his toes, taking in his black 'wife-beater' and his tattered old black sweatshirt, his old black jeans and his nikes before my eyes traveled back up to his hood, which cover his face. His eyes were staring right back at me. Slowly he dropped the cigarette to the ground as he licked over his lips. He took an unsure step towards me, then another and another until he was standing right in front of me, his green eyes showing every emotion running through his mind. I raised my hand up slowly and traced his jaw line before I moved my fingers over the tattoo behind his ear, "You and your baseball," I whispered, my eyes going to his as his hands trailed up my sides and rested on my neck lightly. "And?" He questioned just as quietly. I just shook my head as his hands cupped my cheeks. Very slowly I moved my hands to rest on his hips. My breathing became labored as he leaned in gradually. "Zack," I stuttered when his lips where merely a half an inch from mine, "I have a boy friend,"
He shook his head just a little bit, barely enough for me to notice, "You don't love him," He said under his breath, "Not like you love me,"
I glimpsed to his lips then back to his eyes and before I could utter a single word his lips were on mine. His warm lips moved with the contrast of his lip rings, the cool air resting on them, sending a shock through my body at the familiar yet breathtaking feeling of Zack's lips on mine. After a few moments his tongue outlined my bottom lip and I unhurriedly parted them. His tongue seemed to dance inside my mouth, exploring over every forgotten corner. Zack's hands moved to the wall on either side of my head as the kiss became more urgent. My hand slipped under neath his sweatshirt and then under his tank. I gasped quietly as he painstakingly pulled away, leaning his forehead against mine, not ready for the contact to end. This time we were both breathing heavy as we opened our eyes. I was speechless but he wasn't he had one more thing to say to me, "I can't help it if I still love you, baby," Zack pulled away from me completely and pulled open the glass door that led to the stairs, which he took two at a time, disappearing from my sight.
I let myself slid down the wall, bringing my knee's up and wrapping my arms around them. I laid my head on my knee's still breathing deeply.
What had I just done? I couldn't gather my thoughts as I sat there in the dark under the stars. And even the headlights pulling into the parking lot couldn't snap me from the memories and the shock of having Zack's snakebitten lips on mine.
"Maxx?"
My head shot up and standing not three feet from my was Carter, his dark hair ruffled and his clothing wrinkled.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to keep my voice from shaking.
"Zack called me... He said you might be freaking out about something, that I should come over?" He stated as more of a question, "What's wrong?"
"Nothing," I said, jumping up quickly, "Nothing,"
"Are you sure? I've never seen you sitting on the ground before, you seem a little shaken?"
I shook my head, "Yeah Carter, I'm fine. Zacky just got in a fight at school today," I shrugged, pulling my hair up on my head then letting it fall back down again, "I'm totally fine,"
Carter tilted his head, confused, "You sure? I could come up for a little while,"
My eyes widened and luckily he couldn't tell in the dark, I took a deep breath, "Thank you anyways, hon. But I'm just going to go to bed,"
He walked forward and pulled my head to him, placing a a kiss on my forehead. "Alright, honey. I'll talk to you tomorrow, then?"
I nodded and he turned around walking away. I watched as his car pulled out from the parking lot, I waved as his car left into the street, driving away. Then I walked slowly back inside, going over to the guys who were watching a movie in the living room. I kissed each of them on the cheek, "I love you guys,"
I wondered up stairs leaving them sitting there flabbergasted. I peaked in on Little Zacky, smiling as I sat on the edge of his bed, gently pulling the hair from his face. "I don't know to do, baby boy." I whispered so I wouldn't wake him up, "It's always been just you and me, and I don't know what to do with that father of yours. I don't know how I feel. I'm confused and it's hard," I kissed his forehead. "But one thing I do know, is that you're the best thing that's ever happened to me, baby, and I'm starting to think that your jackass of a father is the second. Jimmy doesn't count," I added on. "Because he'll always mean everything to me, I wouldn't have either one of you without him, baby. I love you," I stood up, shutting the door quietly behind me, and when I turned to go to my bedroom, I gasped in surprise as Zack stood there.
"He's the best thing that ever happened to me as well. And your second too."
I looked to the floor, my lip clamped between my teeth, "Why did you call Carter?"
He took my hand and pulled me into my room, "Because he's better for you," He mumbled as we sat down on the bed, our hands still clasped in his lap.
I couldn't help it but automatically I disagreed, "No one is better for me than you,"
He sighed, quietly, "That's not true, I walked out,"
"You were scared," I mumbled rubbing my thumb over the back of his hand.
"That's no excuse. I hate myself for it,"
I used my other hand to turn his face so he was looking at me and not the floor, I placed a kiss on his cheek. "Don't. But I'm going to bed and I know you're worn out so you should probably go crash as well,"
He smiled letting go of my hand, "Don't tell me what to do! I'm going to watch a horror film with my boys," He walked out of my room and I laughed, falling back on my bed as the door shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
it looks short...

but it's 1,170 words,
and emotion filled.

Comments?
It wasn't too predictable was it?
I'm not usually a cliche writer but I couldn't help but think this was just a little.