‹ Prequel: Accidents Happen

Tragic Romance

5 Deaths.

The next two weeks few by in a daze. It was school for Zacky, work for me, and the occasional walking down to the park to toss the ball back and forth. It seemed that the kids at school had a drastic change towards Zacky. There are rare few that know who Avenged are but I guess the word has gotten around that Zacky's father is famous and little kids swarm to that kind of thing, even though Zacky doesn't necessarily want the attention.
Zack had kept his promise and was calling everyday even if it was only for a few minutes. He and the band had a lot of promotional things happening for their next tour, which isn't for a while, and Zack had barely any time that was reasonable to call that his son would be awake.
Sometimes it seemed that every day was the same, and now that the guys weren't here Carter was stopping by frequently with movies and snacks and every once in a while he would drop by with dinner and Zacky would take some and stomp upstairs, pouting.
Every day really was the same, minus a few minor differences. In the morning I would wake Zacky for school, he'd go there and I'd make a stop at work to drop off every thing I had been working on. Then after school I'd pick him up and we'd work on his home work until his father calls.
"Mom!" Zacky whined as I literally placed him at the kitchen table.
"Zacky!" I copied, placing his two worksheets in front of him. "Finish these, I'm going to finish watching the movie with Carter," I kissed his forehead and put the phone at the other end of the table. He grinned at me and started working on his work.
"Everything good?" Carter asked, linking his fingers with mine. I nodded to him and pressed play on the remote. The T.v roared to life and I rested my head on Carters shoulder. Carter rubbed circles on my palm for a while before the phone rang and I went to jump up but he pulled me back down, "Let Zack get it," He murmured his grasp on my hand tightening.
"Carter," I said, "I have to get it before it stops ringing,"
"No," He told me childishly, "Stay here with me. Two weeks ago you couldn't even stand for him to say a word and now all of a sudden you rush up to answer the phone when he calls,"
I rolled my eyes, "Carter, he's Zacky's Dad,"
"Then let Zacky answer the phone!" He sighed, throwing his head back against the couch, "Why do you care so much, now?"
I shut and then opened my eyes, holding my breath, "Because Zack and Zacky are the only family I have and I don't want to push Zack away,"
"Maxx!" He cried, "You don't get it do you? You and I are family. Why can't you talk to me? You know my family but I don't know yours,"
"My family is dead," I whispered getting up to get the phone as Zacky yelled for me from his spot at the table.
"Hey Zack," I answered, biting my lip.
"Hey baby," His raspy voice said back and I bit my lip so hard I was surprised when I didn't draw blood. I looked through the kitchen doorway as saw Carter sitting on the couch, running his fingers through his hair. "How're you?
"I'm great," I lied, closing my eyes and leaning against the marble kitchen counter. "How are you guys doing out there?"
He sighed on the other line, "The guys and I are already, everyone is really happy to be back with their girls and stuff. They miss you a lot though,"
"I miss them too. And what are you not happy to be back home with Gena?" I questioned holding up a finger to Zacky as to say 'one minute' as he quietly begged for the phone.
"Not as happy as I am with Zacky and you," He murmured and I could hear him grinning on the other line.
"Zacky," I nearly groaned his name, "Not now,"
"Yeah, Carter, I get it," He acknowledged, "But I don't care,"
"What about Gena?"
"Not about that either,"
I desperately tried to hide a smile from coming on my face, "Zacky wants to talk to you, now,"
"Put him on,"
I handed Zacky the phone with out another word and I picked up his home work from the table, checking to see if it was done and done right. I picked up his pencil and circled a couple that were wrong. I put it in front of his face and he rolled his beautiful eyes at me and shoved my hand away. I peaked over my shoulder and Carter still sat on the couch watching t.v.
I went and sat next to him again, "My brothers threw me out when I was 18, my youngest brother, closest brother, died soon after. My mother died when I four during childbirth. My best friend died when six years ago, Zack's best friend, Jimmy. My father died three years ago and a year later my best girl friend, Louisa, was killed by her bi-polar boyfriend. Is that what you wanted to hear, Carter? My sob story?" I asked calmly and quietly, "We all aren't sheltered growing up. I've been on my own my entire life. I don't like to feel like I have to explain myself, to anyone," I growled. "I'll see you tomorrow," I dismissed him and he gave me a bewildered look.
"Maxx," He stuttered, "Can't I just stay the night?"
"No,"
"Honey, I'm sorry. I just feel like I don't know anything about your past," He whispered, putting his lips to my forehead.
"That's because my past isn't worth it. I'm not mad but you need to go," I sighed and looked into his hazel eyes.
"Alright," He stammered, standing up and grabbing his jacket from the coffee table, "I'll talk to you tomorrow,"