Road To Acceptance

The Lies

Kali woke up to the smell of waffles. She smiled and opened her eyes to find Billie carrying in a tray, fully loaded with breakfast food. She surveyed it carefully, wondering if Billie remembered how picky she was about breakfast food.

He smiled at her and placed it on her lap. She grinned when she saw what it was: waffles, grape juice, and coffee.

"Aww, thanks, Billie," she said as he sat beside her. He kissed her cheek.

"No problem." She began eating, still grinning. When she finished, Billie took her plate back downstairs and returned moments later. He climbed back into bed with her.

"Sleep well?" he asked, and she nodded.

"Fantastic...you?" He nodded.

"You're so cute when you sleep," Kali laughed. The phone rang, and Billie picked it up.

"Hello? Yeah, she's here...why? Okay, calm down..." he handed the phone to Kali.

"Hello?" she said.

"Get the fuck home...now," Ali said.

"What? Why? I told you I was staying here today--"

"Just get the fuck home!"

"Tell me why."

"I'll tell you when you get here!"

"No, just tell me now."

"You're fucking adopted, okay?" Kali froze.

"What?" she whispered.

"You fucking heard me. You are adopted."

Kali paused. "But Daddy--"

Ali sighed, "He was your real father...at least...Jordan was...he's not the one who adopted you."

"What?"

"Just come home and I'll explain." Kali nodded, then realized Ali couldn't see her.

"Okay. I'll be right there." she put the phone down slowly, "Billie..."

He frowned and reached for her hand. "What, babe? What's wrong?"

She looked at him, tears burning the corners of her eyes, "I'm adopted..." she put her face in her hands.

"What? What about your dad--"

"Apparently he was my real dad, but he didn't adopt me...I don't know, I don't understand...I have to go home..." She stood up and put her shoes on, leaving without another word.

***

"I'm adopted?" Kali yelled into her house as soon as she opened the door. She found Ali in the living room.

"I'm adopted?" she repeated, and Ali sighed.

"Yes. Sit down." Kali obeyed. "You were born to Jordan and Kaliana Soriano. You were named after your mother. She decided they couldn't look after you and your brother, so they offered you up for adoption. At the time, I was with a man named Sean, and we adopted you. Later, we broke up.

"Your father and mother broke up, too, and I don't know what happened to her, but your father came here, and we were together for a while. That's what you remember of him. One day, he decided he was going to leave me and take you with him. That's the day he died, and, well...you know the rest."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Because I thought...I thought Josh and I could raise you, but...Josh doesn't want children, and to be honest, neither do I."

"But you've had me for sixteen years!" Kali protested.

"Yes. Josh and I have decided we don't--"

"You don't want me anymore?"

"In a manner of speaking...no."

Kali gaped at her. "Fine. What happened to my brother?"

"He was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Pritchard--"

"Mike? He's my brother?"

"Yes and the Pritchards have offered to take you into their home, so you will be living with them from now on."

Kali shook her head in shock, "I fucking hate you."

"Good. Now pack your things. You're going over today."

Kali went up to her room, still numb from the whole experience. How could Ali not have told her? And now she just didn't want her? After sixteen years...

And Mike, her brother? She looked in the mirror. Yeah, she could see the resemblance.

She packed her things, not realizing tears were pouring down her face...