Road To Acceptance

Change of Residence

Kali showed up on the Pritchards' doorstep with a dufflebag, wiping the tears from her cheeks. Mrs. Pritchard opened the door and smiled sadly.

"Hello Kali. Come on in, we have your room set up." She lead Kali inside and showed her to the room across from Mike's. She smiled sadly again and left Kali to set up.

The room was nice. It was a little bigger than the one she'd had at home. She sighed and sat on the bed. Well... this is how it would be...

She couldn't believe Ali just decided she didn't want her anymore, and after so long... It seemed so strange.

"Hey kid," Mike said from the doorway, startling her. He had the phone receiver in his hand.

"Billie's on the phone for you. I told him what happened." She nodded, and he gave the phone to her, leaving her to talk with Billie alone.

"Hey," she said softly, her voice raw with choked sobs.

"Are you alright? You just kind of ran off-"

"Yeah, I'm fine... Just a bit... shocked, I guess."

"Yeah, I understand. Do you want me to come over there? I did promise you a day of relaxation..." She smiled faintly.

"Thanks, Billie..."

"Do you want me to come over?" She nodded.

"That would be great. I'm sorry for running off, it's been a hard day..."

"I know, babe... It's okay." His voice was soothing, almost like a lullaby.

A few minutes later, Billie appeared at her door, a concerned look on his face.

"Hey," he said softly, making his way to her bed and sitting next to her.

"Hey... Did Mike tell you what happened?" He held her close to him.

"He didn't know all the details. He told me that you were siblings and that you were going to live here."

"Yeah... Apparently my dad... Jordan, the one who... died... He was our father, and he was with my mom for a while, but now Ali doesn't want me. She and Josh don't want kids."

"That's bullshit. She's had you for sixteen years, and now she doesn't want you?" He sighed. "She didn't deserve you in the first place." Kali sighed and rested her head on Billie's shoulder.

"Do you love me, Billie?" He looked at her, a confused look on his face.

"Yeah. More than anything."

"And you're not going to leave me?"

"No."

"You'll still want me later?" He pushed a stray strand of hair out of her face.

"Look, Ali is fucked up. Of course I'll want you later. I'll love you all my life." She frowned as he wrapped his arms around her.

"How can you be sure?" He lifted her face so she was looking at him.

"Because of how I love you now. I will never love anyone as much as I love you."

"Not even Shanna?" He sighed.

"I got over that a long time ago. It's over now." She nodded and smiled faintly.

"I love you, Billie." He pressed his lips against hers, making her stomach flip.

"I love you too."