Reduced To Tears.

The Light Surrounding You

Andrew and Hayden walked quickly down the sterilized hallway, their footsteps echoing on the hard tiled floor.
“How could you not have noticed, Hayden? Seriously, even Ella noticed.” Andrew asked, not looking at hit, but looking at the room at the end of the hall, the room that held a fallen angel. One of which, that had hit the earth the hardest.
“I just didn’t, okay? I know this is my fault, would just stop rubbing it in? Please!” Hayden hissed back at Caris’s best friend.
Finally they reached the door that held Caris.
Both of them just stood and stared at it for a moment, before Hayden asked, ”Well... Are you going to open it?”
“No, I think you could do the honours, seeing as you put her in there.” Andrew spat back at him.
Hayden closed his eyes, trying to ignore the comment. He put his hand to the icy doorknob, and twisted it.
The doorknob flung open, and to they’re surprise, they were standing in a surprisingly bright little room. The boys looked around, and the first thing they saw was Caris’s family sitting together in the corner. Her parents were both good-looking. Caris was a perfect mix of both, maybe with a bit more of her father. Hayden looked at her father, nothing that both he and Caris had the same, slight, fine nose. Her father had his arms around his wife, and younger daughter. Her mother had tear marks etched into her cheeks, and her sister looked small and scared. Like she didn’t know what was happening, or why. Then finally, as if in sync, they looked over to the corner nearest to the window. There she lay, peaceful and deeply asleep. Her face was porcelain-esque. The light was shining onto her face, making her look completely stunning. For the first time in weeks, Caris looked at peace. Hayden let out a soft moan, one a person in pain would make. Then Andrew turned to her parents.
“Hi Brendan, Clarissa. Hey Miss Melanie. Is there anything I can do for you?” He asked politely.
“Bring Car back?” Melanie asked softly, her innocent face sad, her big blue eyes, so much like her sisters staring up at Andrew. Clarissa began to weep again, and if possible, Brendan pulled her closer.
"I would, Mel. But, Caris hasn't gone anywhere yet." Andrew replied to her softly.
At that moment, a nurse walked in with a bucket, a long tube, and a measuring cylinder of black bubbling liquid.
“It’s time we pumped her stomach. It’s quite unpleasant. You should probably leave, but your always welcome to stay.” The nurse announced.
“Melanie, I don’t want you to see this.” Clarissa got up ,taking the little girls hand, she escorted her out of the room.
“I had best go with her. Are you boys coming? Or would you prefer to stay in here. With...um...” He coughed and nodded to his daughter sadly.
“No, we’ll be fine. Somebody needs to stay with her. She always needed someone to hold her hand while she was being attended to.” Andrew replied, thinking of all the times she had gotten a needle, and insisted on clutching his hand, or the time she had gotten the pins taken out of her arm after breaking and dislocating it. Brendan nodded solemnly, and with one last look at Caris, he too, exited the room.
The nurse fed the tube down Caris’s throat, and placed the other end into the bucket.
“The tube is for when the vomit comes up. Because she can’t gag, the vomit would get into her lungs, and kill her. She would basically choke and drown on her own vomit.” The nurse explained knowledgably.
Hayden felt dizzy, and a bit sick. So he grabbed Caris’s hand. It was cold, icy, and unfeeling in his own, but he took comfort in in. The nurse tipped the black liquid down the tube, and then vomit came up. It came up fast at first, then slowly, after a while, thinned out completely. The stench was terrible. Hayden knew he could have walked out ,but he also knew he owed it to her to stay.