Reduced To Tears.

Masquarade

The next day, when the rollcall bell rang, Caris walked off silently, the sick feeling pulsing around her stomach. True, she didn’t have first period with Hayden, but she did have third, fourth and fifth. She stepped into the little room that she called her rollcall room, feeling the quick warmth of the heater pressing down onto her skin. Then, as she took her position for the seven minutes in Hell, Blair Bonsen walked into the room, bringing a gush of icy air with her, completing Caris’s Hellish begin to the day. Blair Bonsen was slightly shorter than Caris, and had dark tanned skin. Her hair was thin, black and went down to her shoulders. Freckles littered her face, and her huge electric green eyes would glare at you, never revealing the poisonous thoughts in her head. Blair was slim and athletic looking, but she was bony, and on the whole, apart from her pretty face, she was truly bad. But this morning, Blair didn’t seem to have anything to say. She just turned around and began to terrorize Stacey Sorenson. Not in a mean way. Her tone and question were completely friendly. But there was something intimidating about her.
“What do you have first, Stacy?” Blair asked, smiling sweetly. Faking sweet, of course. It was so Blair.
“I...I have art. Um. What about you?” Stacy replied quietly.
Stacy was about the same height as Blair, if not, shorter. She had short brown hair, and soft, big, brown eyes. She was quiet, and had few friends. She was shy, and that meant Blair didn’t have to work hard to get her to stay in her place. Unlike Caris.
“Me? Oh, I have history.” Blair smiled sickly at Stacy and turned away.
‘Oh please, biggest faker ever.’ Caris thought to herself.
The bell for first period rang, and the students marched out of the room, and away to their classes. Caris walked slowly down the hall, to her design and technology room. Nobody was there, and she stood alone, contemplating the day ahead of her. Hayden would be there, she had seen him before school. He had been laughing and joking around with his friends, as usual. But then he walked over to his new girlfriend... Caris blinked open her eyes, not wanting to have to relive the happiness on both Hayden and Daisy’s faces. Daisy Deelin. Daisy was taller than Hayden. She had lightly tanned skin, large freckles dotted all over her arms, and hands. Her thin light brown hair hung limply over her shoulders. Her hazel eyes would search your gaze. But she was nice, and that was the deal breaker. She was a lovely person, and most people adored her. But she was no Caris, and although she didn’t know it, many people would have preferred her to Daisy. Caris was free, with the ability to be whoever she wanted to that morning,to be loud and clumsy. She could laugh at herself. Daisy followed the crowd and kept herself in line, she always had to be in with people, or she wasn’t happy.
Caris’s head snapped around when she heard Madison chattering on about something. That was the thing about Madison. You always heard her before you saw her. Alicia Atterly, was walking with her friends, that were twittering away about random gossip, something interesting of the moment. Alicia looked slightly bored, but she threw in the odd comment every now and then. Alicia smiled at Caris, and Caris weakly pulled up her lips, in an attempt to return the smile. The rest of the class soon followed into the hall, and then the woodwork teacher appeared, and let the class into the familiar little room. Mr. Smith marked the roll, then the class began to shift, and start to get to work on the half finished rings they had started. Caris sat a bench after retrieving her ring, sitting in the middle of Charity and Madison, facing Alicia.
“Hey girls! How’s it going?” Caris asked, with an attempt to sound peppy.
“Well, yeah... I’m fine.” Alicia replied, polishing her ring.
“Yeah, I’m great. What about you, Caris?” Charity asked, lifting her chin, and eyeing Caris.
“Oh, I’m good, thanks” Caris stated, firmly.
Madison shook her head, showing her lack of interest in the same lack of gossip with this group, and went to find someone else to irritate. Caris grabbed a rag, poured a bit of Brasso onto it, and said quietly to herself,
"I'm always fine, remember?” Charity bit her lip, looking away, and Alicia looked up at Caris, smiling slightly.

The next period and Caris uneasily got to her feet, and got ready to head to science. Caris walked, looking directly forward, not saying a word, her schoolbag bumping heavily against her hip, Charity at her side. The two girls arrived at the Lab, not saying anything after Caris’s little remark in woodwork. Francesca Felling walked past Caris and Charity, poking her tongue out in a friendly way as she went past. Caris leant back against the wall, her breathing uneven, trying to settle it, she closed her eyes. Hayden arrived at the Lab, his friends unsettled and rowdy, Hayden laughing along with them. When he saw the sight of Caris, a frown creased his brow. The teacher came, and the lesson started.