Reduced To Tears.

Icy Shock Will Always Melt

Caris walked into rollcall the next morning, feeling slightly better. Last night, while lying in bed, listening to the wind howl and bang against her windows, she had overcame the shock. Now it was like a dull little thud every time it worked its way into her head. Caris returned to the chilly little woodwork room. Blair was already there, and Stacy was standing timidly beside her. As Caris walked in, Blair smiled at her in what could have appeared to be friendly, but that was nothing compared to what came next.
“Hi Caris. I’m sorry I was such a bitch before..” Blair smiled sweetly, and tipped her head innocently.
Caris was shocked. She opened her mouth, and squinted at Blair, trying to find the trapdoor. But before she could finish questioning Blair’s motives, the bell rang, and Caris felt a small smile curve onto her lips. Rollcall would be a lot more bearable from now on. She made her way up to the maths block, and ran up the stairs. She walked around the corner and towards her maths room, a grimace lacing her lips. Hayden and Madison were already standing there, not speaking. Caris joined the pair, and didn’t speak. She hated maths ,and it was first period, just to add to her already terrible week. Charity came up the opposite set of stairs, smiling peacefully. She saw the deflated look on Caris’s usually bright face and rushed forward, meeting the maths teacher. He instructed the students into the room to take their seats.
The bell rang for period two, and Caris leapt out of her seat, basically running to her next class. She walked to English, one foot in front of the other, counting her breaths. She liked English. She was good English. She slid into her desk, at the front of the room, Charity after her. The teacher went on about poetry, but Caris zoned out. She, in all truth, really didn’t care about second line rhymes or alliteration. Caris picked up her pen and started scratching words into the paper, writing something and anything. Somewhere in between writing ‘pain’ and ‘Hayden’ she heard a distant ring, signalling recess. She swept her stuff into her bag, gracefully loping out of the room. She walked to the spot where her and her friends would always be occupying. She have little voices whispering in her head, telling her things, along with ‘You Found Me’ by The Frey, blurring out most of her inhibitions. She embraced the lyrics, taking solitude in the fact that someone else, somewhere is feeling the same way she was. She didn’t feel so alone all of a sudden. The feeling melted away quickly, and with a shiver, her glimpse of hope was gone. After twenty minutes of trying to pull herself together, it was time for art. She jumped up from the ground, with a grace the would break the hearts of any ballerina across the world. Visual art. On the up, Hayden. On the down, Daisy. There would be an emergency drill later into the period. Caris took her seat, pulling out her art book. She began to draw a butterfly with long, twisting wings. About ten minutes until the end of the first art period, the emergency bell rang. The amount of noise everyone was making was surprising. And this was without the help of Caris and her surprisingly loud volume.
“EVERYBODY STOP! MOVE THE DESKS TOGETHER AND THEN CONTINUE WORK, PLEASE!” the teacher yelled over the clattering of the desks, and then noise the students were creating.
Usually Caris would jump at the chance to be loud, but today she couldn’t be bothered. The double period art took too long, and Caris was sick of watching Daisy hang herself over Hayden, like a fly hangs over a piece of rotten fruit. She was fuming, and in mental pain, and above all ,just plain out upset. Grinding her teeth, she grabbed a book and flipped open to her place. She only picked up thatches of the sentences though, her mind was elsewhere. Finally lunch came, and picked everything up, shoved it into her bag, fleeing the art room, not waiting for her friends.
Caris shoved her key into the lock, and put her art book away, and took her history and music books out, in preparation for the afternoon classes. “Helloo? Earth to Caris? Are you sure your alright?” Lacey Lonsdale said, while leaning against the wall next to Caris’s locker.
“Yeah! I’m fine.” Caris slammed her locker door shutter placing the lock, and giving Lacey a look. Lacey raised an eyebrow, nodding slowly.
Lacey and Caris hadn’t been friends in the beginning; Caris had met Lacey’s boyfriend at camp, and she had began to slowly like him. He felt the same way, and he left Lacey for her. But really, Lacey hadn’t had any reason to dislike Caris. William had left Lacey before him and Caris started going out. They went out, then they broke up, and Caris and Lacey became friends. Together, the two girls walked to the spot in silence. Charity was laughing with Luke Lonsdale, Lacey’s twin brother, William Macpherson, and Alexis Aberfont. They walked up to the group of friends, and Lacey smiled.
“Hey guys.” She said, still smiling.
After a two minute greeting fest, everyone started eating and discussing their last lessons of the day. Then all hell broke loose. Lacey accidentally elbowed Luke, and they had started going at each other. Alexis then got involved, and started telling Lacey off. William started yelling at Alexis to leave Lacey alone. Charity then got up and started screaming at William to leave Alexis alone. Caris had had enough, and reached breaking point. “EVERYBODY QUIET! WHO CARES IF LACEY ACCIDENTALLY ELBOWED LUKE? DOES IT MATTER?” she screamed out at the group. “Jesus Christ...” she added, muttering to herself.
After Caris’s little nuclear explosion, everyone quickly shut up. There was a lot of tension in the air, and the atmosphere was icy. Everyone was relieved when they could part at the ring of the bell. Fifth period was history. Caris sat next to Aaron Haisley. Aaron had gone to primary school with her, and, to be blunt, annoyed the living wits out of her. He was great at history. Actually, he was great at everything. Caris was alright at history; she always managed to pull a passing grade. Today they had a common test, and in all honestly, that did not impress Caris in the slightest. ‘At least we have music next...’ she thought to herself, rolling her eyes upward.
History finished and the class 7A traipsed up the stairs to the music class.
“My GAWD, that history test was gruelling!” Madison was squawking to anyone that would listen.
Francesca Felling was leaning against the wall, looking extremely bored. Francesca was good at both maths and English, and she enjoyed them both with passion. Mrs. Myrow was standing at the door, smiling pleasantly.
“Good afternoon seven A!” Mrs. Myrow exclaimed, beaming out at the class. “Please go in, and sit yourself at a keyboard.”
Caris walked into the room slowly, Charity following after her. Caris plonked down at the first desk, Charity next to her, and to her surprise, Hayden across from her. She must have looked surprised, because Hayden grinned and laughed. Nicholas Nightly sat down next to Hayden, his blue eyes and white blonde hair sparkling. He called Caris ‘Hitler Girl’, and in return, she called him ‘Hitler Boy.’ Nicholas smiled widely at Caris, and Hayden’s grin twitched slightly, getting almost unnoticeably smaller.
“Hey Hitler Girl. Hey Charity.” Nicholas said, poking his tongue out.
“Hey Hitler Boy! Did you know Hitler wouldn’t have killed you?” She giggled out.
Nicholas, Hayden and Charity all laughed along, and Caris grinned. Maybe things weren’t turning out as bad as she though. Then she noticed Hayden had written ‘Daisy’ on his left hand, and her smile fell, and she looked away. Her brief mood had disintegrated as soon as it had appeared.