Reduced To Tears.

Breakthrough

Monday morning. It was raining. Caris felt weak, and the desire to vomit was dominating her head. She ignored the though, and let a more poisonous thought weave through her brain. One week. Caris stood up, looked in her mirror and forced down the instinct to throw a brush at the mirror, where her reflection stood, the look of repulsion echoed on the face of the girl in the mirror. The girl that was becoming so unfamiliar. She put her uniform on, and walked slowly into the upstairs bathroom across the hall. Caris picked up her wooden brush, and yanked it through her hair, smoothing out all the bed head knots. ‘Why do I bother? It’s not like it’s impressing anyone.’ She sighed and put down the brush, and opened the medicine cabinet. She flicked through it, with long banana yellow fingernails. When she had finally found the crystal earrings, she pushed them through the holes in her earlobes. Caris picked up a long skinny red tube of lipstick then smoothed it onto her pink lips. Biting the side of her cheek, she sighed and walked out of the bathroom with a natural grace. Caris walked down the winding wooden stairs, into the kitchen, whilst fixing her hair into a high ponytail at the top of her head, and seeing the look on her mothers face, she retracted her hand immediately.
“Mum! What’s wrong?” Caris asked worriedly, rushing towards the beautiful statuesque blonde standing facing towards her.
“Lily’s older brother is missing.” Her mother answered, her voice making Caris stop in her track.
Caris froze, her face masked in horror at the news. Sam Livingail. Missing. Then she thought of Lily. And her family.
“Oh my god.” Her mother frowned and shook her head sadly.
“Well, I suppose there’s nothing we can do about it. Look, we’ll talk later. I can see Charity now.” Her mother said, turning her gaze out towards the beach path where Charity was walking towards their two-story house. Caris nodded grabbed her lunch, shoved it into her bag, and ran out onto the path to meet her friend, and deliver the news.
At school, Charity and Caris were whispering like mad to each other, about Sam’s disappearance.
“Do you think he was abducted? Or he ran away...?” Charity whispered.
“Who would try and steal a seventeen year old guy? No, I think he ran away.” Caris frowned, whispering back at her.
Caris straightened up, and they began to walk away from the lockers. The girls pasted Nicholas, and he nodded at them in a sign of greeting. The girls nodded back. On meeting Alexis and Abby, then walked off around the school, discussing the current issue. Nobody could come up with a plausible answer as to where Sam could be. His disappearance seemed to spread throughout the school with an alarming speed. The Rollcall bell rang through the school, shattering out all noise being made by the students. ‘Let the day begin’ Caris thought to herself. After the usual seven minutes in Hell, Caris swept herself out of the rollcall room, and off towards first period. Maths. Standing outside the maths room, Madison was assaulting everyone’s ears with an ear-splitting volume, talking at anyone that would listen. She was talking about some new development in the school, speaking at around a million miles a minute. Then she ran up to Caris, and began to terrorize her.
“Oh My Gaaaaawd! Did you hear about Hayden and Daisy?” Caris didn’t want to hear what came next. She didn’t want to hear the news of the happy couple.
“They broke up!” Madison announced, earning a dirty look from Hayden. Or maybe not so happy couple.
Maths flew by quickly, and when the second period bell rang, Caris got up, smiling broadly. Her heart felt light again. Maths had been easy. She had laughed with Charity, and her face didn’t feel stiff like it had before. She felt happy, and free, and light again. She felt like trying. She felt like she could be herself again. No more pretending. No more crying herself to sleep. No more screaming in frustration when nobody else was around.
The only thing that was pulling down her happiness was Sam’s disappearance.