Reduced To Tears.

Shatter Me

Wednesday Night.
“NO! He can’t be! No!” Caris shrieked to her parents, who were standing out on the balcony, the view of East Ravenswood beach stretching out behind them, and the glittery night lights shining down below them. Caris felt tears spring to her eyes. But she wouldn’t let anyone witness them fall. She ran inside and down the hall to her bedroom. Sam was one. Gone forever. She just needed to get through the night. And that was her only aim.
The next morning, when she got up, she put her mascara, lipstick and blush on as usual, and got ready to walk to school with Charity. Shoving her books and lunch into her bag, she opened the door, the salty breeze blowing into her face, she stepped onto the footpath, getting ready for the day ahead.
“I don’t believe you, Caris. Stop lying!” Charity cried out.
“It’s not a lie. It’s the truth.” Caris said, flatly. The girls walked into the main quad, and found almost the entire school congregated around the entrance to B Block. Sam’s picture had been put up, with candles lit and hundreds of bunches of flowers underneath it. She saw a big group of her friends, including Jeremy Garson, and the person she needed most, Hayden Prince. The grief for Sam got the better of her. Tears began to well up in her eyes, and her body shuddered. She couldn’t stop herself, and the tears fell over the edge, and rolled down the flawless pale expanse of skin. Hayden turned around and saw Caris crying. The girl who was so strong; the girl who was made of steel.
“L-Library...” Caris choked out to Charity. Caris ran off towards the stairs that lead to the library.
When she got there, they found a secret spot, and collapsed down. The tears poured down her face relentlessly.
“Char... I knew him for ten years.” Her voice shook with pain. Alexis ran down the stairs and fell down next to Caris and Charity.
“Come on Caris. Don’t cry baby...” And before they knew it, they were crying too.
Alexis, Caris and Charity got up, and walked out of the library, and down the hall, to upstairs B Block. They looked out the window and Caris spotted Hayden, Nicholas, Luke, Lacey, William, Madison, Francesca, Abby and Germy all standing next to each other. The sight of all of her friends was heart crushing for Caris. She slid down the wall, sobs racking her body. The pain of everything was drowning her. Charity and Alexis slid down next to her, and there they were. Sitting in the hall, hugging and crying.
“F-fresh a-air...” Caris mumbled, and they made their way to the tree, the spot they used to spend their lunches.
When everything was simple, easy and painless. Caris fell to the ground and Alexis picked up a stick and started to carve a cross into the tree.
“It might not be as great... As the other memorial, but I think Sam would have liked it all the same.”
The girls sat in silence for ten minutes when Charity got up and said softly, "I think the others will be looking for us. We should go find them.”
The other two girls nodded in agreement, and stood up. They walked away from the basketball courts, and towards the main quad. As the girls passed by the gym, Abby ran towards them, and Caris erupted into yet another fit of tears. Abby hugged Caris, not wanting to let go. Francesca wrapped her arms around the girls, steering them towards the memorial crowd. Someone was playing guitar, to the song of ‘True Colours’. So many had tears dripping of their faces, tears falling. The principal instructed the students to go to rollcall, and then to come back. Caris detached herself from her little group of friends and walked to rollcall, avoiding Blair for her life. Her efforts seemed wasted, because Blair hadn’t bothered to show up to school today. Once she got her name marked off, she set off back to the quad at a brisk pace. Nicholas and Hayden were standing together, both staring at the unbreakable, strong figure, with the mascara tears running the length of her pretty face. The wind was strong, it was cold, and the rain had started to fall. It was going to be a long, miserable day.