Sequel: Halfway There

Almost Gone

Chapter Eleven

Kate had nearly died last week. I had screamed at the top of my lungs, surprising myself. But nobody had seemed to notice. That was the only thing I could do, scream, sigh, laugh. But words could never form whenever I did.

“Alright, get back to work!!”, Carl growls at me, I roll my eyes, just staring at the boring machine. We had to change our clothes, which meant I hadn’t been able to “talk” to Ella and Kate. Which was irritating, because I always had something to say. I could listen for hours, I heard things most didn’t, and I could tell them so much about Sam, Carl, and Max! But, sadly, Carl would probably do worse than last time if I messed up.

“You okay, Emma?”, Kate asks, limping over to her station. I didn’t have to look up to see Sam stiffen, to know he felt guilty, to know he wanted her back in bed. I shrug, looking sadly at the ground. Nobody understood how it felt, to have only one way of talking, and not to be able to use it.

“I’m sure Ella could ‘woo’ Max into getting you a notebook or something.”, Kate says, smiling. Ella’s head snaps up in a glare, as we all knew her hatred and fear of Max.

“Nah-uh! I’m not letting that pervert come anywhere near me!”

Little did Ella know, that he had played guard outside of our room. I knew my eyes had black bags under them, as I got little sleep anymore. I was tired beyond belief, shocked that I could even stand.

“No offense Emma, I love you like a sister, but you know how scared I am for rape.”

And I did. But I knew Max had no intentions, from what I knew of, of raping Ella. I just wanted to get a good nights sleep, where those yahoos that watched us would stop yelling, and just shut the heck up! Yeah, I’m annoyed. They never stop talking.

“Get back to work!!”, Carl yells. He was always so angry. From what I heard, he just wanted us to work. And wanted Sam and Max to get their heads on straight. He had kept his eye on me for the past two weeks, mainly a suspiciously. It was annoying, and made me want to say, “What the heck is your problem?!”

I yawn, feeling my eyelids get a little heavy. The numbers on the computer were spinning around me, and I could scarcely hear Kate and Ella’s voices through the haze of darkness blurring my vision. I shake my head, knowing something was wrong. I heard ringing in my ears, and tried desperately to get it to stop as it stopped all thoughts.

“Emma?!”, Ella says, shaking me.

“Hey, get back to work!!!”, Carl yells.

“Go drown yourself!”, Kate yells.

“Get back to work!!!!!”

“I think she’s gonna faint!!!”, Ella says, grabbing my shoulders as the darkness blinded me. I try making motions with my hands, feeling something in my hands. “Here, write on this!”

And I wrote, blindly, but I managed. I’m sure my already sloppy handwriting was almost unbearable to try and read now.

“’I can’t see.’”

I continue writing, trying to go as fast as I could, before the pen out of my hand, and I passed out right there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry in advance for any spelling errors.