‹ Prequel: Reminiscing
Sequel: Deleted Scenes
Status: Active

Caged Mentality

Outside this Facade

POV: Riel Carlin

I Jumped out of my car slamming the door somewhat gently. It was a long depressing day. I had to deal with at least three clinically depressed children under the age of sixteen. Then I had to visit one of them I usually see on Tuesday to prevent them from committing suicide. Fun, right?

I walked up a few staircases reaching the fourth floor to arrive at my condo. I fumbled through my key chain to find a black key. I slid it into the lock and turned the knob to open the door. My eyes scanned the dark room. It was already eight-thirty in the evening.

My fingers found the switch flipping it to reveal my messy living room. I never had the chance to clean it up after letting my buddies come over the other night....

I sighed thinking of the mess. I didn't ever have the energy or will to clean up at times. But it would be the weekend tomorrow. I'd have all day.

Heading into the kitchen I set my bag on a chair dropping my jacket on top of it. My cell almost fell onto the floor till I caught it. Placing it on the stainless steal counter top I made my way towards to fridge. Nothing.... I had to go food shopping. Aside from some pizza there was nothing in the fridge.

Moments later I heard “Summer Shudder” blaring throughout the kitchen. A grin spread across my face. I wouldn't be bored tonight.

I answered, “Hey Greg. What's up with you shit heads tonight?” it would be great to get out of the house. Helping people was my world... But the office attire and situations were getting to me. I had to have fun at some point didn't I?

“What a greeting...cuss-deprived much?” he laughed loudly.

“Hell yes. That place doesn't let me say a damn thing I like. I get away with it occasionally by repeating clients though.” it was entertaining when I had people similar to me in my office. But it was only a few kids who used the same language as I did.

He paused a bit, “I was thinking you and me could go hang with Joel and Spence.”

Yes! I would get to be myself for a change with asses I got along with perfectly.

I felt a grin spread across my face, “Yea? And what's that entailing? I'm not gonna be waking up in some dark ass park again am I? Or seeing some chick in the morning who-”

“Nah, I promise Riel.” he choked through laughter, “I'll be with you the whole time. If anything you'll wake up next to me by morning.”

Waking up next to him...that was always a good sight...and memory. Me and the guys had a way of doing things. None of us were with anyone, but we were all kind of each others. Friends with benefits to put it bluntly. And hell, it was great.

“Doesn't that sound tempting.” I opened my fridge deciding pizza would be a good snack. I threw it into the microwave. “Where we gonna meet up?”

“Black Out.”

What a nice place that was.... It was in our top ten of clubs we went to, outside of bars that is. I may be a therapist but that doesn't mean my life has to be following a million rules. I like to actually live. I just keep this half of my life outside of the office and its jail like aura. Well...to me it was a jail type thing. Kids I dealt with all day loved it.

“I'll be there then around nine.” I had a half-hour to get dressed and get to the parking lot. I was always late though. Greg forgave me, usually.

I hung up my phone then deciding to jump in the shower. I pulled on some white skinny jeans, a black MCR t-shirt, and a pair of converse shoes. I looked in the mirror then realizing I didn't have any of my piercings in. After the pieces of metal were in each spot they belonged I ran outside to my car. A black Mitsubishi Eclipse Convertible. My baby. Yes, I loved this car.

Turning the key started Bullet For My Valentine, “Tears don't fall.” I listened to the cd till I reached Black Out. Pulling out the keys I stepped out of my car slamming the door.

“Hey, Riel!” Joel shouted running over to me. Spence was already inside I'd guessed.

“What's up?” I placed a kiss on his cheek. It was just a normal greeting me and him had.

“I think I need some counseling, I don't know where I am anymore. It's like I go somewhere...and I can't remember where I am. Like why I went there. All the time. Am I in Rome?”

I rolled my eyes. It was always fun to pick on the therapist. I guess it was good I just had a sense of humor.

“oh shut up.” I elbowed him in the gut causing him to giggle and lose some breath.

I felt an arm wrap around me tightly then lips pressed against mine. I pulled away a few moments later, smirking.

“Getting a head start on the night?” I asked staring at Greg whose expression was no different from mine.

“I can be excited to see you can't I? I look forward to our outings.”

I shook my head laughing walking into the club. I noticed Spence was sitting at the bar already sipping down some form of red alcoholic beverage. He did love strawberry flavored things.

“I'm gonna go dance some with Joel. Seeing as you and Spence never want to do anything fun...in bars anyway. Besides drink your ass off.”

“Don't you like me better drunk off my ass sometimes?” I grinned not really caring what they thought about me being boring or not. “maybe I'll just stick with Spence all night and you can go have fun with Joel.”

He laughed finding it funny, “yea, sure Riel.” he rolled his eyes then walked off. He knew I wouldn't.

I slumped into a chair next to Spence. We weren't very talkative towards each other. Honestly as a group we had our favorites. And his happened to be Joel. Unless the two of us are drinking, of course.

“Hey Bartender person!” I shouted trying to get their attention. “Can I get a beer over here?”

“Gimme a minute, damn...” The voice sounded familiar. I glanced at the bartender noticing it was Kris. I laughed a bit when he had to take a second glance to realize it was me. It was somewhat cute. He set the drink he was mixing down then stopping in front of me. “Dr. Carlin? Holy shit, I didn't even recognize you.” he laughed lightly then setting my beer in front of me.

“Oh, Kris. How are you doing?” I questioned, grinning. I gulped down some of my beer then setting it on the counter. “Oh, and by the way, anything I do tonight...it doesn't get mentioned to those stingy-ass people at work. You can call me Riel though. Outside of the office.”

My co-workers wouldn't have been all that happy if they knew this side of me. I'd be a 'bad influence' to the children I counseled. I wouldn't ever encourage them to do what I did. Children do like to copy though especially if they look up to you.

“So what if I do tell them?” a smirk crawled onto his face. I knew he wouldn't do it. Though I wasn't sure if he liked me all that much, I knew he did like me at least a bit. Enough so to not jeopardize my income. He poured it into a glass and slid it down to the lady he mixed it for. He focused his attention on me again.

“I won't have the best reputation. I'd probably get stuck with old people instead of kids and such.” i laughed, “hey, easy way to get rid of me. But between us, I think they're a bunch of stuck up pansy-ass-bitches. They just complain all day long. Anyhow, how are you feeling? Any outbursts?”

“Working outside the office?” Kris questioned, still smirking slightly. It was just habit for me. And he was a new patient of mine. I had to get to know him more. “It's not Wednesday at ten AM, I don't have to tell you anything.” Someone called for him, and he looked at them before turning to me again. “Gimme a minute.” He mumbled, walking off and exchanging a few words with one of his coworkers before returning to me. He placed his arms on the counter, lacing his fingers and leaning forward. “So how's it goin?”

“Not too bad.” I said then glancing at Spence. I chuckled, “just out with a few friends. They're dancing fags.” I pointed roughly in the direction of Joel and Greg. “Spence here is passed out, but Joel'll take care of him.” Spence was really just asleep. He wasn't dangerously passed out. Or at least that's what I thought. Mostly from past experiences that is. “Hows work so far? I hope I'm not scaring you with all these piercings and stuff.” the last sentence was nothing but thick sarcasm.

“Right.” Kris scoffed smilingly. “I've only been working for about a half-hour. It's been fine, aside from this drunk chick that kept trying to kiss me.” He laughed. “Gross. Anyway, yeah, I shouldn't be taking a break already but I am anyway.” He grinned.

He must have liked to break rules in some way. Then again he was fashioning punk. I liked seeing him here. It fit him more then my boring little office.

“I'm glad I'm worth your time.” I smiled, “poor guy, getting hit on by some chick.” I shook my head, “I feel your pain. I hate when people try and kiss you, and you don't even know who the hell they are. Of course, if they're attractive then you don't even think twice about it.” I gulped down more beer.

I guess I was being more open with him than most, which I am sure he didn't notice. But I wasn't about to openly admit I was gay to him. He'd need to figure it out, not that I wanted him to know.

“Hmm, Dr. Carlin is apparently quite the manwhore.” Kris said teasingly, grinning. He pulled out a mixer-thingy, whatever it's called, and started messing with drinks. It was fun to watch.

“Nah, I wouldn't ever cheat on someone. I just happen to be single. But I keep it to a circle of friends I've known a while. So it's not like I'm with some random person every night.”

I hadn't realized the way it sounded. I was only worrying now about what he thought of me. I didn't want him to hate me or anything. There would be issues then if he did. With his style I didn't think he'd be all that different from me with this.

“Ha, sure.” Kris joked, pouring his drink into a glass and taking a sip. “Just kidding. I can't see you being that huge of a slut.”

“Yeah, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.” I laughed. I'd been down on a road similar when I was younger. Wasn't worth my time. Spending my childhood in a library made me experimental in college.

“I would totally tell your coworkers.” Kris took a couple more swallows. “Not really. But it would be kinda funny if Mr. Therapist was a major slut.”

“Yeah I guess it would be somewhat funny.” I shook my head drinking up the rest of my beer. “I don't have that many problems though.” I glanced over at Greg and Joel then returned to Kris. They were still dancing. “I hope you won't think less of me after tonight anyway.”

“Why would I?” Kris asked, tilting his head to the side slightly and leaning over the counter again. “You're pretty much cooler this way. You want another one?” He nodded toward my beer bottle. “Or a different drink? You could try one of my special drinks.” He motioned toward his drink.

I wished I could be like this with him during the office hours. He'd probably be more open with me. Stupid rules and such.... He was still acting as cute as hell though. Not in an 'I'd date him kind of way.' I made it a point to separate work and personal. Friends, fine. But not dating.

“Give me whatever tastes good. I'm not picky.” I said blankly. “Some people would probably think less of me if they saw their child's therapist out in this place drinking away the night with a group of guys like mine.”

“Well, I'm not a parent of one of your patients. I may be one of your patients, but I still think you're cooler like this.” Kris stated, using the same mixer-thingy, hell I still don't know the name of the damn thing, for my drink that he used for his. He put in the same ingredients, poured it into a glass, and slid it across the counter to me.

It was kind of interesting to watch people mix drinks. I wasn't all that good with it myself. I had a bar in my living room to practice. I just knew basic ones. Spence was decent a bit though. He was the one generally behind the bar counter at my house.

I took a sip, “This tastes pretty good.” I grinned. “I'm happy you like me this way too, sorry I can't be like this in the office.”

“I understand.” Kris shrugged. “The drink's my own secret recipe.” He smiled proudly. “Mixing drinks is a lot of fun. Took a while to get it down, but I think I got it pretty well now.”

“I'd say so. You should totally give me the directions for it. I got a bar in my living room. It'd be nice to have something outside the everyday drinks.”

“I said it's my secret recipe. You think I'm gonna give it to you?” Kris grinned devilishly. “Definitely not without something in return.” if he wasn't my patient I could think of something...

“Well, what would you like from me?” I asked laughing. There could be a list of things. I just had to make sure it'd be nothing that lost my job.

“Hmmm...” Kris gazed at me thoughtfully, resting his chin in his palm. “Not sure. I guess I'll get back to you when I think of something.” I wondered what he was thinking. His expressions were always intriguing.

“I'd offer to let you come over and do whatever you want with the bar at my house...but you're underage.” I laughed, “I'm sure you get away with it here for some reason. But it wouldn't apply at my house.”

“Not like anyone would know. You don't want your own personal bartender that's very talented with mixing drinks?” He smirked. “Though I think I'd probably charge for that.” He said jokingly.

“Regardless, you're allowed to contact me whenever you want. You've got my address and cell number anyway. Unless your father never gave it to you. I give it to all my patients. But it doesn't mean you can raid the alcohol.” I would like to spend time to get to know him, outside the office. I wanted to see him where he was happy and angry. Analytical purposes of course.

“Not fair. It's not like I even drink that much. I've never been able to play with drinks without being rushed by someone to get them another beer. It'd be fun.”

“If I got caught with you drunk in my house my job would go to hell.” I laughed, “i need that for the hot ride in the lot and the condo I own. But you could always mess with it a bit I suppose, as long as you're not gonna get drunk.”

“I don't ever get drunk. So you don't have to worry about that.” Kris smiled, straightening and finishing his drink. “I should get back to work. Gotta make money to pay the bills.” He gave an unenthusiastic smile. “And I'm sure your friends miss you.”

“ha, maybe.” I laughed then feeling Greg behind me. I wasn't sure if Kris had walked away yet. I hoped so.

“Of course I would Riel.” he mumbled placing his arms around my waist kissing my cheek.
“Yeah, I guess you would.” I smirked turning around to take his face in my hands. I crushed his lips with mine not even noticing Joel had already slipped out with Spence...whenever that guy had woken up. “I'm not nearly drunk enough Greg.” I wasn't even tipsy.

I grinned watching his expression morph into pure lust. It was kind of funny. His blue eyes framed by brown hair reflected my playful expression.

“That's hardly fair. We don't need to stick around here.”

“Oh fine....” I rolled my eyes playfully standing up. I took his hand to leave leading him towards my car. It was a good night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, just a little taste of some boy x boy.
Don't worry there will be more to come.
We have a few chapters story lines written up.
I hope everyone enjoyed getting a perspective from Riel and who he really is! :D
Look for updates! Please comment <3

thanks;
hugs.from.holly (you get better taste of boy x boy in about 2-3 chapters :3)
oceanwalks

We read all the comments! <3