Unfaithfully Yours

Family Ties

“So how’s Mr. Cockblocker?” My brother smirked a teasing edge to his voice. My love life was always a joke to him and it was starting to piss me off. I almost wish he would be that overly protective annoying brother not the brother that could care less and would rather make fun of my boyfriends.

“Shut up, Matthew.” I growled. I was in the middle of tossing the salad while Matt made cheeseburgers on the George Forman grill behind me. My mother was a fury of tasteful clothes and carefully done up hair as she raced around the house trying to find enough tableware for the family plus the band and their immediate families/girlfriends—my mother was out of her mind.

Matt chuckled to himself in amusement. “I’m sorry,” He said with a grin, showing just how sorry he actually was. “How is the guy?”

“He lost the game yesterday.”

“I guess he didn’t ball block, huh?”

That’s it. I whirled around, wooden spoon poised threateningly in hand. “Make one more comment about him, Matt. I dare you.” I seethed. I had enough on my mind; I didn’t need my juvenile older brother to add to the mix.

A shocked look crossed his face before Val burst into the kitchen. Matt’s not used to me snapping at him but maybe I should start from the look on his face.

“The Haners and Bakers are he-“ She paused as she took in the sight of her boyfriend’s shocked face and my confrontational stance as I held the spoon in front of Matt’s face. Her gaze became accusatory as she stared at her fiancée. “What did you do?”

“What makes you think I did anything?!” He cried upset that his own fiancée was taking his sister’s side.

“I know you,” She said, a smile working its way across her lips while her as flickered between us.

“He won’t stop with the Sam jokes.”

“What are you ten? Tattle tale.” He accused, throwing me an annoyed look.

“What are you twelve for calling her a tattle tale?” Val shot back amused.

“Whose side are you on?” Matt demanded.

“I’m out of here,” Val announced, throwing her hands up before turning on her heels. “If you kill each other don’t get blood on the food.” And then she disappeared through the swinging door the led into the dining room; leaving my brother and I to have a stare down between the walnut salad and the cheeseburgers.

“What the hell is your problem?” Matt demanded in confusion. “You’ve never cared before.”

The engagement ring weighed heavily on my finger, the diamond turned into my palm, shielding the truth and it from my family. I wish I could say that my family’s opinion of Sam didn’t bother me but it did—especially Matt’s unfortunately. Matt and I had always been close growing up and as his younger sister I always looked up to him; which unfortunately included valuing his opinion.

Then my mind flew to Zack—My brother loved Zacky. Matt wouldn’t poke fun if I were with him. But I quickly pushed the thought from my mind of what would never be.

“You’re starting to get on my nerves.” I snapped in annoyance, not to mention the more Matt made fun of Sam the more I began to question my 12-month relationship with him.

“Hey what’s going on here? Val said something about Gabby getting ready to beat you with a spoon.” My younger sister appeared through the door and stepped into the room, surveying the scene she was witnessing. “What did you say to her Matt?”

“Seriously?!” He complained. “Why is it always me?”

Syn and Zacky stepped into the room on either side of Amy.

“Just don’t wreck the food,” Zacky announced stepping deeper into the kitchen and eyeing my salad. He plucked a walnut from it, “I’m hungry.” He stated looking me in the eye before popping the nut into his mouth.

“Here,” I grumble, thrusting the salad at him. “Take this outside.” I needed to get out of here. This kitchen was getting crowded fast when my mother joined the mix.

“Hunny, Sam is here.” She announced.

“Oh Mr. Cockblocker!” Syn grinned.

He was no better than my brother.

“I’ll beat you with this spoon next Brian.” I threatened waving the utensil in front of his face before pushing past him and storming out into the main hall in search of myboyfriend fiancée.

“Hey babe what’s up?” Sam grinned as soon as he saw me. He pecked me lightly on the lips and his arm instantly went around my waist. “What’s wrong?” He murmurs lowly so only I can hear. Of course he would immediately pick up on my mood.

“Nothing,” I force myself to smile. The lies were just piling up around me these days. “Just my brother, you know how we get.”

Sam nodded, “Want me to say something to my future brother-in-law?” He grins.

“No!” I yell in alarm and his shocked face made me flinch. “I, uh, I mean I haven’t told anyone yet and you know the mouth Matt has. He’ll cause a scene.”

“Tell them after dinner?” He wondered reaching for my left hand, his thumb fingering the rock that’s concealed in my closed hand. I nod mutely,

“Come on,” I nod toward the dining room. “Dinner is ready.”

I take Sam’s cool hand in mine and lead the way. The first person I notice is my brother, his eyes are begging me to forgive him but he’s also got that shit-eating smile plastered to his face when he sees Sam. I spot Zack next and his hard emerald eyes switch between Sam and I, unsure of who to glare at harder. At that point I quit looking at our guests altogether.

I look for Switzerland’s neutral territory at the table. As much as I’d like to plant myself smack in the middle of the guys and their girlfriends I avoid them at all costs. Instead I sit beside Syn’s father, which forces Sam to sit beside my sister.

“How are you dear?” Brian questioned pulling me into a hug and I instantly calm. Brian sr. is like a second father to everyone and I know that even if this all blows up and everyone hates me I can still turn toward the middle aged man at my side. “You look scared.” He whispers in my ear so only I can hear.

I just throw him a ‘you-have-no-idea’ look and he can’t decide whether to chuckle or be concerned.

My mother bursts into the room then, her energy lights up the room as she greets all her guests and swats away Matt’s hand when he reaches for a cheeseburger prematurely.

“I’m so glad you all could make it,” She gushes before she turns to the parents at the table. “I know I can speak for all of you when I say how proud we are of you boys, yet how happy we are to finally have you all home again.” Then she pauses as though remembering something. “Well, I wont say anymore I know all you guys want to do is eat.” She gives Matt a knowing look. “Dig in.”

The food, of course, is delicious but it seems only the women at the table can appreciate a good walnut salad around here. Matt’s cheeseburgers are a hit naturally and the batches of fries are gone in minutes as people break off into conversations amongst themselves. I glance across the table at Val whose looking sympathetic yet confused at my silence. Normally at this table the only person who talks more than me is Jimmy.

‘Stop’ she mouths.

‘What?’ I mouth back. I glance at Sam who is suddenly in a deep conversation with Amy about Basketball and Volleyball.

‘You look scared’ I shrug. ‘Your announcing your engagement, not a death sentence’ she gestures to make a smile across her face. ‘Smile’ she orders.

“Hunny you’ve hardly touched your food,” My mother noted and I internally groan. Of course her mothering instincts would kick in now in the middle of dinner. “Are you feeling alright?” Suddenly multiple pairs of eyes are on me. Matt is looking at me curiously, Sam looks concerned, and unfortunately if looks could kill Zacky would be a murderer and I’d be dead.

“I’m fine Mom,” I try to brush her off but my mother is nothing if not persistent.

“Are you sure?” She questions unconvinced. “It’s not like you not to eat.” She’s lucky I don’t take that as an insult.

“I’m fine Mom,” I state wishing desperately that she would just let it go. I don’t want all this attention; I don’t want everyone looking at me; least of all Zacky. “I’m terrific.”

“Actually,” Oh no…my stomach rolls as Sam takes my hand and I suddenly feel like I’m going to be sick. Sam gets to his feet pulling me with him, suddenly having gained the attention of everyone in the room. “We have an announcement to make.”

This was a bad idea. A very, very bad idea! My stomach rolled again and I made a conscious effort not to look at Zacky as my heart went into overdrive. Instead I look to Val who was giving me a look of encouragement. I avoided looking at everyone else completely and instead I just stare at the empty platter in the middle of the table that had once held the cheeseburgers.

“I, uh,” My brain wasn’t cooperating and suddenly I had no idea what to say to the people who mean the most to me. I looked to Val for help because I suddenly could not form a coherent thought.

‘Engaged’ she mouthed but before I can form the word Matt is on his feet looking furious. He knocks back his chair causing Val to jump as the attention quickly shifts to my brother, Val and I wearing identical looks of shock.

“Bro I swear to god if you knocked up my sister I’ll kill you.” It’s flattering to know that somewhere inside Matt there is an overprotective fool but unfortunately he’s got it all wrong and as several people gasp assuming that I am, in deed, pregnant my father is suddenly on his feet as well.

I turn red as everyone looks to me for conformation and my eyes, like a magnetic pull, are drawn to Zacky. He’s not quick enough to wipe the look of hurt from his face before its replaced with a piercing glare that holds no sympathy or compassion for me.

“Hunny?” My mother’s voice is higher than normal as she urges me to speak, her body rigid. “are you-“

“No,” I manage, my eyes meeting my brothers. Suddenly I’m the one whose angry, furious even, so what if I was pregnant? I’m 26 would that be such a heinous crime? “I’m not pregnant.” I spat, glaring at my brother. “Sit down Matt.” I order but he’s still standing, still convinced that there is a reason for big older brother to be pissed off. In fact my father is still standing as well and my mother is starting to look pale. “I’m engaged.”

My father fell back into his chair, a look of relief crossing his face before surprise hit him almost as hard as Val’s hand does when she yanks Matt back into his seat--now he looks pale. She mutters something to him furiously, a look of annoyance on her face but I’m not sure Matt even hears his wife-to-be as his eyes lock with Sam. My mother is still frozen, blinking, and a look of indecision on her face.

“Congratulations dear,” Brian Sr. is the first to recover from the scene that has just unfolded as he pats my hand and nods to me encouragingly. The remaining room is silent and I wonder if should just shoot myself and get it over with. Obviously I can do nothing right. I’m with Zacky (obviously that’s a no no), I’m with child (suddenly everyone wants to kill poor Sam), I’m engaged and suddenly everyone looks like they’ve either gone into shock or they’re disappointed; I can’t win!

“To Gabby and Sam,” Syn takes the cue from his father as he rises to his feet, his corona hovering in the air.

The shock seems to wear off slightly as everyone raise their glasses with Syn, some of them blinking rapidly as they look to me. My mother is suddenly crying and gushing about weddings, my sister, Leana, Michelle, and Val are chiming in about bookings and a church. But I’m not listening to any of it, hell I don’t even feel Sam’s hand interlocked with mine anymore as he turns my ring over, revealing the diamond to the world.

Zack is gone, he’s disappeared, and no one seems to have noticed besides me. Val suddenly glances to me and she realizes the vacant seat beside her where Zacky had once been. She looks to me before politely excusing herself from the room. I’m not sure whether or not to be relieved in knowing that my best friend will find him.

The room is suddenly bursting with the news of my engagement, my mother has gone on to splutter about babies as though suddenly the idea is a good one while Michelle, Leana, and my sister are calling dibs as brides maids.

Johnny is shaking Sam’s hand and slaps him on the back in congrats, but I can tell he isn’t really feeling it. I look to my brother wondering what he has to say now when I find he’s gone, along with Syn. Jimmy is trying to rein in Leana who is suddenly giddy with the idea of another wedding. There hasn’t been a wedding in our own little intimate world since well…Leana and Jimmy.

I’m overwhelmed, I’m surrounded, and I’m guilty. I think my friends are more excited than I am and that’s not a good thing.

“Hey Gab,” I search for my brother’s voice and suddenly he’s behind me. He grabs my hand and leads me away.

Several voices protest my departure from the table and even my mother is chiding her eldest born—not that he’s phased. I don’t think my mother yelling at Matt has been effective since he was 9.

“I have to show her something!” He explained, his voice booming over all the others as he fought to be heard. “Jesus Christ,” He grumbled under his breath as he leads me away.

He leads me right out the back door and right up to our old tree house. We haven’t used it in years but suddenly Matt’s climbing it and I can’t help but wonder if it will still hold our weight after all this time. But then I’m climbing too, no one will look for us in the tree house and I don’t want to be found. But the moment I’m sitting cross-legged on the old weathered wood beneath us, I look to my brother and by the look on his face, I’m not at all sure if this is any better than the scene I just left.
♠ ♠ ♠
So the writing style in which I wrote this chapter in is all kinds of screwed up but after going back and forth and back and forth i've decided to just leave it be.

Sooo what is your favorite song off Nightmare? Which do you like the least?
btw did anyone else's Readers Counter stop working?