Against the Rules

1/1

“She’s the only heir to Fontaine’s fortune. The legal paperwork hasn’t been finalized yet, but once it is she’ll get everything. Abby just informed me that the fingerprints of her wonderful boyfriend match with the ones we found at the scene.”

“But they’re going out for dinner tonight in a huge place. He couldn’t possibly make a scene there.” Tony said, looking up at Gibbs.

“He doesn’t need to make a scene. They get a private booth, he slips something into her drink, she’ll pass out and it’s all quiet.” Ziva said, glancing up at the both of them from her desk.

“This is why you two are going to be there in case something happens.” Gibbs said, pointing to the both of them.

“What? Do we just hide in the plants and watch?” Tony asked, raising an eyebrow. Gibbs smirked.

“Don’t be ridiculous, DiNozzo.”

~*~

“He thinks I was being ridiculous? This is ridiculous.” Tony whined, adjusting the tux jacket over the bullet proof vest he was wearing. Ziva rolled her eyes, her fingers playing with the pearls strung around her neck.

“Stop fidgeting, Tony. You’re going to give us away.” She hissed under her breath, her eyes casually glancing around the restaurant behind Tony. He grumbled but relaxed anyway, leaning back in his chair with his hands in his lap.

“Here they come.” Ziva murmured, her eyes locked onto a couple that just walked into the door. Tony turned around as casually as he could, spotting the blonde heiress and her boyfriend. They sat at a booth about ten feet away from Tony and Ziva. Tony grinned, turning back to face Ziva.

“Piece of cake.”

“Now we just have to act naturally until he kills her.” Ziva said, one eye watching the couple.

“How exactly do we act natural?”

“We are on a date are we not? Flatter me or something.” Ziva said, a smirk tugging at the ends of her lips. Tony chuckled.

“You’re enjoying this far too much.” He said, taking a drink of his water.

“Enjoying what?” Ziva asked, raising one eyebrow.

“This.” Tony said, pointing to the both of them.

“Spying?” Ziva asked, her eyebrows coming together in confusion.

“Our ‘date’.” Tony clarified. Ziva laughed, shaking her head.

“You flatter yourself, Tony. This is strictly business.” Ziva said, glancing behind him as she sipped her water. “Besides, you know it’s against Gibbs’ rules.”

“Doesn’t mean you’ve never thought about it.” Tony said, an amused smile on his lips.

“And what if I have?” Ziva said, her eyes meeting Tony’s. Her statement caught him off guard, and it was obvious in the few seconds that followed. Ziva merely raised her eyebrows and continued to watch the couple.

“Really?” Tony’s question broke the silence. Ziva paused for a few seconds, her eyes never leaving the couple.

“Maybe. Why does it matter?” She asked quietly, watching as the boyfriend ordered their drinks. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Tony grin.

“I just want to know.”

“Don’t let it go to your head, Tony.” Ziva said, still not looking at him.

“Too late, Ziva dear.” Tony said. He leaned forward, resting his chin on top of his hands, leaning on his elbow. “Besides, I’ve thought of it too.”

Ziva glanced away from the couple, her face completely calm and collected. The only thing that would have given her away was her racing pulse.

“Oh?” One syllable words were good, Ziva decided. Voices couldn’t crack with one syllable and give you away. Tony nodded, his grin turning into a soft smile.

“Plenty of times. Remember Paris?” Ziva chuckled, smiling slightly.

“Remember how during the flight Nora wouldn’t stop asking so many questions about us?” Tony laughed, shaking his head.

“She was scarily accurate.” He said, grinning again. Ziva laughed quietly, looking down.

“You look good, by the way.” Tony added. Ziva glanced up and raised her eyebrows. Tony nodded.

“Really. I mean it.” Ziva smiled slightly and then she glanced over Tony’s shoulder.

“Tony they’ve got their drinks. She’s excusing herself. He’s..not doing anything, Tony. He’s just…sitting there.” She spoke quietly, but quickly. Tony frowned.

“Nothing?”

“Nothing. He didn’t grab or touch her drink, he’s not doing anything at all. He’s looking this way. Take my hand.” Ziva said, looking back at Tony.

“What?”

“Take my hand, DiNozzo.” Ziva hissed through her teeth. Tony reached out, taking her hand into his. She smiled graciously at him, a sharp contrast from her previous statement.

“What was that for?”

“He was getting suspicious. We have to act natural.” Ziva murmured, dropping her head as if she were acting shy. Her eyes stayed up, watching the boyfriend over Tony’s shoulder.
Tony’s eyes stayed on Ziva. He studied her face, as he had done so many times before.

She was beautiful, that was obvious. But it was Ziva’s quirks that caused Tony to be attracted to her. Maybe it was the way she couldn’t say porcupine or maybe the way she always managed to screw up idioms, or possibly the way she could kill a man in ten minutes using only a credit card, but there was just something about her that intrigued Tony.

“Tony, she’s drinking.” Ziva said, squeezing his hand to get his attention.

“How will we know she’s…?”

“She will start to choke.” Ziva replied, her eyes glued to the girl.

“But he didn’t put anything in her drink.”

“Perhaps we have the wrong guy. Maybe the waiter did.” Ziva said, gripping Tony’s hand tighter as she watched the girl take the first sip. Ziva began counting under her breath and Tony reached for his gun.

It all seemed ot happen in slow motion for Ziva. The girl took the first sip and the wine glass slipped from her hand, crashing to the table and spilling as the girl began to violently choke, shaking hard.

“The waiter, Tony!” Ziva shouted, leaping out of her seat, running to the girl. Tony jumped out of his seat, running after the waiter who had just dropped his tray of food and started running for the door. Ziva quickly mixed salt into a cup of coffee, forcing the girl to drink it. Tony shouted after the waiter who had started pushing people out of the way. Ziva finally got the girl to throw up whatever poison she had drank and told her stunned boyfriend to call an ambulance. She stood up, searching frantically with her eyes for Tony.

There was a loud gunshot from the other side of the restaurant. Ziva felt her heart drop and her stomach clench. She barked at the boyfriend to hurry up and began running towards the gunshot.

“Tony!” She screamed, the worry overcoming her, another gunshot ringing out. The restaurant was in a state of chaos and Ziva couldn’t see or hear Tony. When she finally pushed past everyone, she saw the waiter on the ground, gripping his leg and groaning. Her eyes moved around quickly, but she was unable to find Tony. She felt her heart quicken and stop as she thought the worst. The waiter only had one gunshot wound, which meant that the other bullet had to go somewhere. Somewhere in Tony.

There was a tap on her shoulder and she whirled around, coming face-to-face with a grinning Tony.

“He missed.”

She exhaled in relief, throwing her arms around him and hugging him tightly for a few seconds. She pulled away, hitting the back of his head.

“What was that for?” He whined, rubbing the back of his head.

“For making me worry.” Ziva said sweetly.

“Nice to see you care.” He said, grinning. She rolled her eyes but smiled anyway, letting him know she did.
♠ ♠ ♠
what? a fanfic oneshot that isn't glee?!
tragedy!