Making It.

The News.

Dead. Killed instantly. Just like that.

I just sat there in the principal's office at his high school, shocked, speechless, and not able to process any of the information the principal Mr. Savie, my guidance counselor Mrs. Wonden, and police officer Officer Joe Crocker just gave me.

So, let me get this straight. I get pulled out of 8th period to go to the principal's office to hear to crappiest news of my life?

My parents.

65 mph.

Highway.

Black ice.

18 Wheeler.

Boom.

Gone.

...Forever.

What the heck am I supposed to think? What am I supposed to do? Jesus, please help me. Why me? Why them?! Why now?! I'm only 16! Where am I supposed to go?

I didn't know.

"Would you like sometime to yourself? You know, to... think things over?" my guidance counselor asks me. But I don't hear her at first. I just stare blankly at the floor. Everything's racing through my mind yet I'm barely able to process any of it. "...Derek?"

I snap back and look up at her. "Huh? Wha- oh... Um, yeah."

And without saying another word I head across the hall to the boys' bathroom. Luckily, no one else was in there. I lean against the wall and pull my hand down against my face. I swish my black hair to the side out of my face. I face started to burn. I walk over to the sink and turn the cold water and splash some on my face.

I look up in the mirror. What the hell just happened? Everything was normal 20 minutes ago and all of a sudden I'm an orphan. Well, as far as normal goes, people called me emo, and demonic. Stereotypes-psh. What do kids know? I wear what I want and listen to what I want and that all of a sudden makes me different and freakish.

But I was no demonic in the least. Me? I won't deny it. I am a proud Christian. But at this moment, I am seriously questioning God why all of this was happening. How could I just have no parents all of a sudden? What am I going to do?

I stare at myself square in the eye of my reflection. My eyes were the same as my dad's. Hazel, and always taking the opportunity to change with the surrounding environment. I run my fingers through my shaggy black hair. My mom had the black hair.

We lived in a decent sized house, my parents having good jobs, and supporting no matter what. Paying for all those music lessons and instruments. They called me their prodigy. I was proud that they were proud of me. I know for a fact that they brought me up right. I have never insulted a girl or back-talked a teacher. I may look like a rebel, but I'm sure not.

But where am I supposed to go? All of my grandparents are deceased and I only have an aunt and uncle who live in France. I can't just leave this lifestyle behind just like that. I actually like it here. Things were nearly perfect.

Oh, no.

What if they stick me in an orphanage?

I can't go there.

I won't go there.

Never.

And before where I knew where my feet were carrying me, I'm running out the front door of my school as fast as I can.

Home.

I have to see home one last time...