Status: New. Active! <3

Sensations

Dayne

My journalism class is definitely my most favorite course that I have ever had the privilege of taking, since I entered high school as a measly freshman. It’s not only my passion, but the subject that I would love more than anything to pursue a career in, and of course, Joshua is a huge bonus. He is like my secret weapon. Throughout the period, he was obviously completely oblivious to the pitying glances that our fellow students were sending me throughout class, but I chose to ignore it and continue talking to Joshua, and because of that I found out that he’s generally a really nice guy.

He’s got ways about him and habits that aren’t really easy to warm up to, but its part of what makes him unique. He doesn’t let his blindness ruin his everyday life, but he uses it as encouragement to prove everyone wrong. Sure, he can’t see, but that doesn’t mean he’s a freak. I can’t help but respect and commend him for allowing his education to further in a high school that wasn’t designed and created for people with certain limits like himself, but he doesn’t let that stop him.

All of this makes me wonder how he could have been in my class since kindergarten, but has gone completely unnoticed by me. I mean, I thought I knew everybody and I feel horrible that I know people that I only met a year ago better then I know people that have been in my class since I was a kindergartener. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t try to go noticed most of the time. It’s so obvious that he’s a wallflower, someone that would rather go unnoticed and do whatever they please without being judged, but once you get to know him, you realize his personality isn’t at all what he expected. He’s cynical and determined, hating everyone that looks down on him and determined to prove them wrong. He is intelligent and kind, things that are so rare to find in some people, especially my fellow teenagers. He probably had to grow up young though, because of his condition. Either way, his uncommon attitude and interesting ways to do things lures me since I can honestly say I’ve never met anyone like him before.

After talking to him for the period, I’ve also come to the conclusion that I’m really happy that our teacher decided to pair us up together. Everyone thinks that I’ve been set back in the class because I have the blind kid as a partner and since we are partnered up we have to do double the work. However, I completely disagree with them. It’s so apparent that since Joshua is missing one sense, his other’s our heightened, allowing him to pay such great attention to detail. Plus, I’ve heard that he’s an incredible writing as well. So, with him focusing more on the little details and feelings of things and situations, and me being able to witness an actual event, we can own that class, be virtually next to unstoppable. It’s like we can learn a bit from each other.

My head snapped up when I heard the locker that I was standing next to jerk open, the metal making an oddly unpleasant vibrating sound as Evan started to rummage through his locker, exchanging unneeded books for those that are needed. “Hey, Dayne,” He greeted me as he swapped his books, leaning against his locker. We always waited a few minutes after school ended before we go out to the parking lot and to our respected cars. We need time to catch up and we try to avoid the early traffic rush that the dismissal bell inevitably causes.

“Hey,” I said, a huge smile probably set upon my lips.

“What’s got you all happy?” Evan asked around a smile, proving my suspicions correct. He punched my shoulder lightly, playfully, as he threw his backpack over one shoulder.

“I met my journalism partner and you’ll never believe who it is!” I said excitedly, trying not to jump up and down, doing my best to mask my excitement.

“Who?” He asked deadpan, humoring me, though his infamous smile was still adorning his lips.

“Joshua Lonestar!” I told him excitedly.

“Who?” He asked again, his brows furrowing slightly as he probably mentally flipped through every name he knew in the school.

“Joshua Lonestar,” I repeated to him. “The boy that Greg shoved into the lockers this morning.”

“And you’re excited about this why?” Evan asked, completely oblivious.

“He’s so hot!” I blurted out, throwing my hands in the air. “He could kill Greg in a fight if he wanted to because he’s so tall and he’s got these really yummy muscles that don’t stick out insanely but are definitely there! But that’s beside the point because he’s really nice and cool and smart and we’re going to be unstoppable!” I said like a two year old, eyes wide and in one breath.

He looked at me, shaking his head side to side, mentally scolding me for my somewhat childish ways like he always does. “Of course the first thing you say about the person is that you find them insanely attractive,” he muttered under his breath, that smile of his working its way back onto his lips. “If he’s so tall, why doesn’t he just kill him to get Greg off of his back?” He asked me, brow raised comically.

“So, like, he’s blind,” I muttered, leaning against the locker.

“Huh,” he muttered under his breath, not knowing what else to say as he mulled that new bit of information over.

“Yeah, but he’s got the most gorgeous eyes!” I said excitedly. “They’re a shade of light blue that I’ve never seen before and his hair, which is white, so I’m guessing he dyes it, really brings them out. I just… his eyes are seriously pretty,” I whispered as I concluded my miniature speech about Joshua’s eyes.

Evan didn’t say anything, instead allowing himself to get lost in his thoughts as he gently chewed on his bottom lip, absentmindedly nodding his head as he stared off into space. “He sounds cute,” he muttered after a while, peeking at me.

“I saw him first!” I defended, elbowing him softly.

“Be realistic, Dayne. Is it worth wasting feelings on a boy that can’t see you, but may not even be gay?”

“Who said I had feelings for him?” I asked flabbergasted. “I’m just… physically attracted to him,” I said after a long pause, searching for the proper words.

“Physical attraction leads to sex,” he said bluntly, staring at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes that clearly screamed evil intent.

I opened my mouth to respond, but was quickly cut off by a short little scream, sounding like it came from a male, and a loud bang. I looked towards Evan and together we started down the hallway curiously, wanting to know what the cause of such a random noise was. We rounded the corner and I froze before quickly rushing towards the sight before me.

“That’s him,” I muttered to Evan as he advanced towards Joshua, a crawling mess on the floor as he held one hand in front of him, the other waving around searching for something. His books were scattered everywhere, his cane wedged under the row of locker’s twenty feet down the hallway. I looked up and saw Greg’s laughing retreated figure and pointed him out to Evan, watching as Evan ran after him to deal with him.

I bent down to Joshua’s level as he still continued to crawl on the floor, murmuring the simple term ‘oh, shit’ over and over again.

“Hey,” I muttered, softly putting my hand on his shoulder, jumping slightly when he jumped out of shock. “Chill, it’s Dayne,” I muttered, leaning him back into a sitting position, legs crossed. “Just wait a second,” I muttered as I went to collect his books, carelessly stuffing them into his backpack, making sure not to crush that special laptop of his that was probably insanely expensive.

I turned around to give Joshua his now fully loaded backpack, shaking my head but chuckling as I saw him standing up, waving his hands around him as he walked around the middle of the hallway in circles, just like a chicken without a head. “I thought I told you to sit down,” I said as I came up behind him, slipping the backpack over his neck, allowing him to automatically slip his arm through the loop.

He clutched his strap tightly, his knuckles turning white. “I’m not going to listen to you!” He said defiantly, his chin lifting in the air slightly. He reminded me of a little boy that was standing up to his mother because he didn’t want to spend his time out in the kitchen corner.

A laugh ripped its way out of my throat as I jogged down the hallway quickly, grabbing his cane and walking back towards him so that he wouldn’t get freaked out since that seemed to be the only way he knows how to get around school. I handed it to him softly, watching how his fingers curled instinctively around it as he unfolded it like the expert he probably is.

“Don’t worry about Greg,” I promised him as I threw my own backpack over my shoulder again. “Evan and I will take care of him.”

“Evan?” He questioned as he started to walk, cane in front of him. I took this as an invitation to walk with him, so I did just that.

“My best friend,” I explained.

He nodded his head as his cane found the corner of a hallway, telling him which way to turn. “Alright, I’ll talk to you later,” he muttered after a few moments of awkward silence.

“Yeah,” I nodded before walking away, finding Evan waiting for me outside of the main entrance of the high school.

“Greg’s going to have a black eye tomorrow!” He said excitedly as he easily fell into step next to me, just like it’s been for years.

“Sweet!” I said around a chuckle. “He deserves it.”

“Hand’s down,” Evan muttered as we reached my car, his being a few spots down from mine. “Oh, and by the way, as your best friend, I feel the need to say this. I approve of your crush on the blind kid,” he said cockily around a wink, walking away before I could respond.

I stood there, mouth agape like a guppy for a bit, before I shook my head and quickly gathered my bearings. “I do not have a crush!” I yelled to him outraged, not caring about who heard. Almost nobody was in the parking lot by this time anyway. I turned around and kicked the back tire of my car before getting in, a slight pout on my face.

Stupid best friend’s that have the power to read your mind when you really don’t want them to.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little insight into Dayne's mind! I love the dialogue and I love how Dayne acts somewhat childish when he gets a crush. Evan knows him so well. xD

What do you all think about the story so far?

Comment&Subscribe <3