Status: Completed.

Falls

Zoey

Lying awake on the roof of the cottage, I stared up at the stars. I could hear the very quiet push and pull of the lake's water. I sighed. I guess you could say life was like the moon and the water. The moon, being the Universe, pushing and pulling us all in one direction without us knowing why. Shaking my head, I exhaled and watched the smoky billow up from my lips. The Olympic peninsula had its perks. It rarely got too hot here and, in the summer, it rarely got over sixty at night.

"You're a tad antisocial, do you know that?"

I didn't have to turn my head to know that it was Jasper. Even if he hadn't spoken, I would have known. "I know," I mumble quietly, closing my eyes as a soft mist began. People always over exaggerated about the rainfall here. It wasn't a torrential downpour twenty-four-seven.

"Why is it you don't talk much?" Jasper asked quietly. I felt his hand reach to touch my face but he must have thought better of it.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Why don't you?"

"There isn't anything to say," he mumbles.

I relaxed my muscles and started to push my way into Jasper's thoughts. If I could do that to Fatima, then I should be able to do it to Jasper. After a moment of blurred lines, I saw the sky. There's something big about to go down and all he can think about is how pretty the stars look, I thought sarcastically.

"Actually, Zoey, its a way to block telepaths. Edward is one as well," Jasper whispered.

I blushed furiously, "You, ah, you heard that?" I asked as I opened my eyes.

Jasper chuckled, "Yes, I did."

"Oh..." I attempted to push myself into a sitting position, but one of the shingles on the roof caught the fleshy part of my palm. My eyes widened when the fact that Fatima and I were alone with two vampires dawned on me. I turned back to Jasper slowly, only to find him tense and his jaw clenched, "Jasper?" I asked.

"Yes?" he asked, eyes fixated on my palm. His hands wrapped gently around my wrist and he opened my closed fist.

"What are y-" I was cut off by the feeling of his lips on my palm. He pulled back and smiled, his eyes bright. I laughed and shook my head, "I thought you were going to kill me," I said. My laugh sounded hysterical.

Jasper shook his head and tilted my chin up, "I'd never hurt you, Zoey."

Something told me we weren't talking about my blood anymore.

Jasper chuckled, "Besides, I just wanted a taste."

I laughed falsely and pushed my way into his head again. This time, I pushed harder- past the sky - to see what he really thought. I saw him with his arms around me. It looked like a very intimate scene. My head was tilted back and, though it was obvious he was feeding, it looked like I liked it. Liked it a little too much. I concentrated a little harder, ignoring the headache that was coming on, and decided to try something out.

I thought of Jasper moving his hand and tucking my hair behind my ears. Much to my surprise, his icy hands brushed my face as he tucked my dark locks behind my ears. I pulled back with a gasp, and scrambled down the roof. I jumped to the ground and landed as gracefully as a human could. I rushed inside, ignoring the fact that Emmett and Fatima were practically going at it on the couch. "'Tima! You'll never guess what I did!" I exclaimed.

Fatima shot up, attempting to smooth down her hair, fix her shirt, and wipe her mouth at the same time. "What? What is it?!" she asked frantically. Her eyes blanked before she gasp. "You- but...That isn't possible! Is it? Of course it isn't!"

I shook my head, "It makes sense. What, only your powers can grow?" I asked, slightly insulted.

"That isn't what I-"

"Save it, 'Tima. I figured you would at least be happy for me, but it looks like I'm still second best, huh?"