Status: Vote For Favortie Chapter to decide which becomes the story;

Story Contest

Dream (Choice Two)

I watched over her as I did every night as she slept so peacefully, lost in a world of dreams. A world that was strange and powerful one that could make all of ones desires come true or be ravaged by every fear. Dreams are an uncontrolled assortment of random thoughts, images, sounds, and feelings from the brain all mashed up into one and then put together by your mind into a sort of story. Its your way of making sense of the chaos. After endless years of wandering through the dreams of others I finally found one whose dreams I wanted to reside in. I had appeared to them as a phantom, just another face, as a demon who sees fear and controls time, and as an angel making their wishes come true for only a night. But this girl, she made me want to be with her, make everything she wished for a reality. I watched as she fell asleep, her soft brown eyes coming to a close for the day, her flowing brown hair framing her face, beautiful.
The dream world that she found herself at was always the same even since I began entering her dreams. The ruins of an ancient city overgrown by nature but still tall and magnificent gray stones that towered over the trees. The worn rock that lined the prehistoric streets lining its way through the shattered and fallen buildings with trees and other plants and wildlife scattered through cracks. Off in the distance the sky shone in an ever lasting twilight, a mix of purples, reds, blues, and yellow. Everything about this world came from me, she had always wanted to visit an ancient city and she always loved to watch the sky. I gave her what she wished for as the controller of dreams, while here I controlled all time and space. I stood high on a pillar watching her wander through the city far below me. I smiled to myself knowing she was searching for me, I leaned forward and fell. The wind passing me as I fell hundreds of feet landing silently in front of her, she smiled and ran into my arms when she saw me. I held her close as she started laughing.

“You have too much fun with this don’t you?” She looked up to me a wide smile on her face, a perfect smile.

“Well I can do anything here so I might as well enjoy it.” She held me close as she spoke again,

“Its too bad that your only in my dreams…” She was right. As powerful as I was inside of dreams during the day I was nothing. I was just an observer, able to watch the world as it lives for all eternity. Watching as people live and they die. Cursed to forever wander as an unseen ghost of a once living person. I was nothing to the world during the day but when they sleep I became something that controlled everything. I may not be able to affect reality in anyway but dreams were more powerful than people think. They inspire fear, happiness, and sometimes predict future events. The power to control dreams allows one to control what they think, people believe that dreams mean something more and it was true as long as I wasn’t interfering with them.

“I know Marico but as long as your asleep we can spend time together every single night” I gave her a reassuring smile and it seemed to work because she started asking me questions as she did every night.

“Have you always looked the same as you do now?”

“Yes, I could change what I appear like in the dreams but this is what I really look like.”

“So your not some scary while ghost thingie?” I shook my head and laughed to myself,

“No no, even during the day if you had the power to see me then this is what I would look like.”

“How old are you Markus?”

“I was seventeen when I died.”

“How old are you?”

“I was born in 159 AD and I died 176 AD.”

“So you’ve been watching the world everyday and visiting peoples‘ dreams for almost two thousand years?” I nodded “Wow.” She thought for a moment before saying anything else. “Have you ever… stayed with someone before me?” I nodded again. “Oh…” I lifted her deep brown eyes up to my icy blue ones.

“I stayed with this nice old man a little over a thousand years ago and we became very close friends. I would give him the best of dreams every night and he would tell me all about his life and I would tell him about my hundreds of years of wandering. I promised that I would watch over his family for him and I have ever since he died.”

“How are you doing that if your with me now?” I didn’t need to answer for her to figure it out. “Are you saying you’ve been watching over my family for a thousand years?” I nodded. “All because of a promise?” I nodded again. “And you‘ll continue to watch over me?” I nodded again.

“Forever I will watch over you and make sure that no matter what happens that while you sleep happiness will be yours.” She smiled and held me close to her whispering softly,

“I love you Markus…” I lifted her face up to mine getting within inches of her face,

“I love you too Marico…” And I pressed my lips to hers in a kiss that could only happen in ones dreams.