Status: Slowly active.

The Kissing Thief.

ii

It was a Monday, and I had woken up from a marvellous dream. Aaron Johnson had posed for a picture with Valerie and I, when he touched my back, and- Oh wait. That was last night. I shook my head as I made my way to Illiterates, a book store I worked at with Val. We had known one another for a very long time, but only recently I had gotten the balls to go on television with her.

I opened up shop, and sat behind the register with a new copy of Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green. The book let out a small crackling sound as I opened it. The sound sent shivers down my spine, and the smell of fresh paper wafted toward me. I wonder what Aaron smells like. I thought.

The bell attached to the front door rang as Valerie strolled in, garbed in the latest sweat-pants and tank top, looking as if she had just woken up. Her brown eyes glittered happily, while her pants were rolled up, revealing her ankle-tattoo and freshly shaven legs.

“Good morning, dear.” I said enthusiastically.

“Hello. I have some juicy gossip for you.” Val countered. I raised an eyebrow as she swung her self over the counter and placed her hands on my knees. I laughed heartily. For Valerie, this meant she was in an impeccable mood.

“Okay, go on then.” I encouraged her.

“Well, amidst my band practice last night, Mum-”

“Wait, was this band practice at two o’clock in the morning?”

“Of course! Anyway, Mum and Aaron were having a small disagreement.” Val smiled a very cheeky smile. “Aaron was saying how nobody in the house was sleeping yet, and that I needed more practice.”

“Don’t tell me- Aaron has a crush on you?” I asked. Val laughed in my face, and shook her head of dark hair.

“No, doofus! Mum was going on and on about how he needs to show her more affection and whatnot. I think she’s doing it because of you!” I let my mouth drop open. I snorted a laugh and pushed her away from me. A customer walked in silently and was browsing the rows of books. Valerie stalked off toward the back room where we usually spent our breaks, and retrieved a cup of coffee for herself, and tea for me.

I thanked her with a nod of my head, and eyed the man in the leather jacket. He picked up a few books, but placed them back down on different shelves. I began tapping my foot lightly, waiting for him to buy something, or leave. The man had an average build, and a head of greying hair. He was tall, and held a motorcycle helmet under one arm. He walked up to the counter, and slid a book on Lesbian Sex across to my teacup.

“Will this be all Sir?” I asked, punching the price in to the old keys of the register.

“Yes.” He answered in a gruff voice. I trapped a laugh deep in my throat when I gave him change for his twenty-dollar bill.

“Have a great day!” Val chuckled as the man went through the door. I let myself laugh for a second, before I went to re-arrange the books he had moved.

“You know I like him, right?” I asked quietly. Valerie walked up behind me and watched as I put the B’s in the B section, not the F section.

“O.C.D. much? And who, grandpa who likes lesbian sex?”

“Shut up. No, not him. Aaron.

“I know who you meant. I also knew that you liked him for at least three years now. But why do you bother? He likes robbing graves. Impregnating the old and being practically the same age as his fiancé’s children. It creeps me out so much.” Valerie let a shudder engulf her entire body, making me shudder in turn.

I closed up at seven, and relieved Val of her daily chores. I was tired from my long day of doing nothing, and merely wished to go home to bed. Valerie walked me toward my Vespa, promising me classy wine and cake if I gave in and went to her house for the night. The proposition was tempting, not to mention Aaron would be there, but so would Charlie, and Val loved to kiss him in front of her mother in order to piss her off. It also annoyed me a bit, but only because I had no significant other. I slumped my shoulders, and pulled out an extra helmet from the compartment under the seat.

“I love you!” Val squealed as she hopped on, grabbed my bag for me, and let me get in front of her.

“I know you do.” I sighed, starting the small engine and speeding off in to the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter which is really short and semi-lame, but the next chapter is going to have a tad bit more excitement.