The Price of Glass Slippers

Chapter 2

Kira-Lynn stood Up next to me, and pulled me to my feet. She looked up at my messy curls, and then seemed to feel great pity when she looked at the dress I had been wearing.

"Come here Sweetheart. Let me fix up your hair and make up. Then we can do something about your..." She looked at the rags I called clothes, and said nothing else. "I should warn you about the rule though."

"Whats the rule?" I asked. I swore to myself that if she said be back before midnight, I would scream. 

"There are two, actually. One, the magic wears off at midnight." I struggled to hold in the scream. "Two, to get a dream come true and a happily ever after, you must cause seven others." She said, preparing to preform her magic. 

"Seven? I'm just a human, how can I create seven happy ever afters! Ta be completely honest, I don't even believe in them myself."

"You'd best find a way." She said, as my torn old dress turned into a baby blue ball gown, a fitted bodice and a full skirt, covered with layers of flowing, thin tulle, draping down from a butterfly on my hip. My hair was held in a pony tail, near the back of the top of my head, falling down my back in loose curls, and a tiara perched on the top. The shoes were strange. They were glass. Polished and gleaming, polished and perfect. "Because if you don't, in two weeks, you'll be in for a disaster."

"Disaster? Of what sort?" I asked. She didn't answer, pushing me towards the latter, which I noticed had become stairs. A carriage was waiting outside, two handsome men, and two dashing horses waiting for me. She'd thought of everything!"

Remember Eleanor! Midnight!" She called after me, as I was escorted to the white carriage. 
"Midnight! No problem!" I yelled back. Midnight? Yes, no problem. Seven happily ever afters riding on my weak shoulders? Yes, that could be a bit of a problem. 

*************************************************************************************************

I would have loved to lie, to say that I was going to find someone who loved me no matter what. That I'd lay my eyes on him for the first time that night. To be honest, I only cared for one man. Prince Darien Chance Chesswood. He was what the world based the stereotypical 'prince charming' off of. Dark, thick, perfect black hair, blue eyes the colour of the night sky, and an adorably sweet personality. So I'd been told. He'd never look twice at me as a maid, a servant in my own home, but I knew that night, that night we'd meet.  I was sure of it!

Unfortunately, I was greeted at the palace entrance by his brother, Demetri. Demetri was no doubt around my age, probably about 17, four or five years Darien's junior. His hair was light brown, a similar colour to mine, actually, and his skin solid white, even though he spent much of his time outdoors. Don't get me wrong, Demetri was a sweet boy, but not a dashing man like his brother. 

"My, such a beautiful maiden, I haven't seen such an angel before. Are you new in this fair land?" He asked, but I had no doubt in my mind his parents made him say that to every new girl, in attempts to find him a wife. 

"I am, actually. So kind of you to greet me in such a manner." I said. I sounded like a snob, but at this sort of event, everyone did. 

"My fair princess, may I have this dance?" The young prince asked, bowing down and holding a white gloved hand out for me. 

"That would be--"

"Demi, my foolish brother, Lady Prudace is awaiting your next waltz." I heard a mans voice behind me. Darien. My perfect prince. He was even more wonderful than I had ever imagined him.

I saw Demetri mouth 'Curses!' at his brother before apologizing and running off. 

"He's a scatterbrain, that Demetri. You must be the fair, beautifully graceful maiden that everyone is speaking of." "Everyone? I just arrived!" I was confused. How did everyone know about me?

"Word of beauty travels faster than even light, my dearest maiden. Now, to make up for my brother's rather rude disappearance, shall we dance?" He bowed and held out his hand, the same way his brother had. To be honest, I expected the dance with the prince of my dreams to be more, well, special. I expected to feel warm all over, when he held my hand and placed a strong hand on my waist. I expected our heart to be in sync, and our eyes to lock, and we'd realize we were in love, we were made for one another. I didn't ever feel that way, not for a single second. He actually even almost stepped on my delicate glass slipper. 

The song ended, and I could tell Darien was reluctant to let me go. Everything I wanted to feel, he seemed to feel. His cheeks were rosy, blushing, and his eyes sparkled. To him, I was perfect, but that could have to do with the spell.

"Your an excellent dancer. Perhaps you will save just one more dance for a prince like me?" He asked, flashing his perfect smile. 

"Id enjoy that." I said, hoping I sounded sincere. I saw in the corner of my eye, a jealous Gertrude and a sad, heartbroken Millie, watching as the eldest prince kissed my hand, then my cheek. Just as he was inches away from kissing my lips, our true loves first kiss, I had once called it, some tapped him on the shoulder.

"I hope you don't mind, but I do believe I promised this young lady a dance." Demetri said, as his brother pulled away, leaving me unkissed and annoyed. Though dancing with Darien was not what I expected, I had convinced myself that I didn't feel anything because of excitement and shock! I'd know if he was my love if he'd just kiss me. But who was I kidding? Not myself, that was for sure. One little kiss wouldn't determine love unless you were my best friend Fee, but I won't get into that story.

Dancing with Demetri was what I expected with Darien. The graceful steps, the warm touch, everything down to the synchronized heart beats. I had figured out why. Demetri was an amazing dancer, whereas Darien was awkward. Still, Darien was the one I wanted to be with. He was perfect. He was even searching for a bride. His eyes danced for him, and his smile showed me that I loved him. Who cares if he was clumsy and heavy on his feet?

"Miss?" Demetri asked, noticing that I was dazing off into my own little fantasy. In the fantasy where I was beautiful all the time, and that Darien danced as well as his brother.

"Yes?" I asked, tilting my head innocently and looking him straight in the eyes. 

"Are you-- are you attached to anyone person." He asked. His cheeks turned red, and he seemed overly embarrassed to ask. 

"If you mean am I married, or having any potential suitors, the answer would be no, not at the moment."

"Really? I'd have never have guessed. I'd have suspected that men would fall over themselves for you." He said, obviously still feeling so awkward and embarrassed that he couldn't find the words to speak.

"I wouldn't have agreed to dance with you were I romantically involved with another man, now would I?" I asked, flashing him a half sweet, half teasing smile, he blushed more, and forced a grin. "Your adorable when your flustered, has anyone ever told you that?"
He shook his head. "'Adorable' isn't a word used often to describe a prince you know. But, if it is a complement like I hope, thank you."

"Strange, it seems quite fitting. Well, I thank you for the dance, and, not to rush off, I just promised another dance to your brother." I curtsied, about to turn away.

"Wait!" He reached for my hand, but I turned myself around before he could grab it. "Who are--" 

"Demetri! Do not start interrogating this poor women." Darien cut him off, holding his arm out for me. "Now, miss, would you care for a tour of the garden?" 

"I'd like that." I said smiling. 

"Shouldn't you be entertaining your guest, Darien?" Demetri asked, sounding very jealous. 

"You can do that." Darien said bluntly, leading me towards the dark garden.

"The ball is in your honour!" Demetri retorted. "I'm coming too."

"What?! Why?" Darien looked very offended. "Do you not trust myself or this young maiden to behave ourselves and not sneak away from the most important ball of the decade?"
Demetri shook his head. "I trust her, but you? I'm sorry dear brother, but it's hard to keep faith in you." Demetri taunted. 

"Oh, let him come." I said, half actually wanting him to come, and the other, somewhat evil, half knew that it was driving that brat Gertrude insane to see both princes with some other girl. She didn't seem to recognize me, so I wasn't going to spoil this one chance to mess with her simple mind. 

"Very well. He can carry the lantern." Prince Darien moaned, annoyed with his baby brother.

"Well, this way, m'lady." I had a feeling that it would be a long night, of endless stories about the garden, the second the boys opened they're mouths.