The Price of Glass Slippers

Chapter 3

Darien had linked his arm through mine and was doing his best to keep Demetri away from me. He rattled on about how he'd saved a fair maiden, not unlike myself, he'd said, in this very garden. He then said she was unfaithful, and they had called off their engagement. I turned to Demetri, who shook his head and rolled his eyes, hinting that Darien was making up the story to impress me. That or he'd changed it to make himself the hero.

"Oh, I'm very sorry, your highness. I'm sure you loved her very much." I said meekly.
 
"Yes, he did." Demetri said, a hint a laughter in his voice, which he tried to hide. "Lady Prudace really let herself go after you broke off the engagement."

"Lady Prudace? The one who has been searching for you all night?" I asked the younger prince.
 
He shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck. "Unfortunately. Prudace is a bit clingy, but can't stay attacted to a man who pays attention to her, and, her dancing skills are in need of work." After he said that, I noticed he was slightly limping, like he'd broken his toe. Or multiple, by the looks of it.

"I taught her the best that I could." Darien said defensively.
 
I heard Demetri faintly whisper; "Theres the real problem then."

"I can hear you my childish young brother. Ignore him fair damsel, he is nothing but a nuissance."

"Its a pitiful world we live in, when the heir to the throne of Evendor is refered to as 'nothing but a nuissance.'" Demetri said, as if he were a philospher giving his latest life lesson. "Miss, it's getting rather cold out, shall I escort you back indoors before my brother loses his temper?"
 
I rubbed my arms, noticing the sudden drop in temperature. "Yes please." We turned away towards the door, and, the elder brother put his cloak around my shoulders.
 
"Poor dear, us out here bickering like children, and you must be frozen." Darien said, trying to be a bigger gentlemen then his brother.

"Yes. Thank you." I said, feeling someone, I'm not sure who, put an arm around me, and pulling me closer. Then I heard it. The clock tower bell. "Midnight!" I gasped.
 
"Actually Miss, that clock is a good five minutes ahead."

"I'm sorry, ta both of ya, but I've gotta leave. It's not like I wanna- I mean want to, but it's urgent I leave now, I had  the most wonderful evening! Thank you!" The spell was wearing off. My annoying accent was the first thing to change back. I had go force out proper grammar.
 
I turned to leave, only to be caught by the shoulder by Demetri. "Wait! This flabberlips didn't stop talking long enough to get your name." Four minutes.

"Im sorry, I can't stay any longer! I will no doubt see you again!" I said, running towards the castle gates. My glass shoes pounded against the cobblestone, and, thinking back on it now, it was a miracle that they didn't shatter.  Of course, at the time, the idea never even occured to me. 
 
"Ellie! Ellie is that you?" Miller squealed running towards me. "Wow! You look amazing! I wish I were as pretty as you!"
 
Three minutes. "Im sorry Lady Geroe, you must have me mistaken for someone else." I shouldn't have said her name, she'd ask more questions I wouldn't have time to awnser.

"Oh, I'm sorry, but Miss, who are--"
 
Two minutes. "Im really sorry, but I must be leaving. Now." I began running away again, almost to the gate.   
"Sorry slippers. You weren't made for easy getaways!" I tossed off both shoes and ducked behind a bush just outside of the garden walls.

Slowly, my ringlets began to become the messy curls that they had once been. My clothes turned back to my torn baby blue dress and white apron, paired with old brown flats, worn with wear. I sighed and heaved myself off the ground. It was fun while it lasted. Now back to work.

*************
"Heya Blondie! Where are you off to in such a rush?" A high pitched, girly voice called behind me. Adamaris Aren sat on the edge of the lake, her taunting eyes on me. Now, there is something you should know up front about the Aren family. They arnt human. Half fish, at that. At a young age, their mother amd father, Aquamarine and Dimando were cursed by a witch to live a life in the ocean. That ocean turned out to be a lake near the edge of Elendor, where they have lived for years with their 7 children. Adamaris, the bossy eldest child, Kaito, the only boy, twins Mariana and Hali, and the two youngest, Maleah and Aqua, respectively.
 
"You went to that ball, didn't you?" She asked. I forgot to mention, Adamaris is also the noisiest of the family.
 
"Why does it affect you to know?" I asked, in a saucy tone I'd had normally been scolded for.

"Addie! Leave the poor girl alone!" Hali scolded, tugging her sisters auburn hair. "She isn't doing anything to bother you!"

"My word Adamaris! You can be such a pain at times." Mariana added.

"Whats going on?" Maleah asked, rubbing her eyes. Though Aqua was technically the youngest, physically and metally, Maleah might as well been. She looked no older than 13, with her big blue eyes and auburn pigtails, and liked to carry around a stuffed animal. It's a shocker to say she and I were both 17.

"Nothing Mal, go back to bed."

"What are you doing now, Adamaris?" 16 year old Aqua asked, swimming to the surface. Aqua was different from her sisters, having a sweeter, lower, less shrill voice and a curious personailty, rather than her eldest sister nosey one.

"Ms. FitzGerald was seen running away from the ball." Adamaris said bluntly. Aqua's eyes lit up.
 
"You attended the ball? Your so lucky!" She squealed. "I wish I could have gone." Her voice trailed off as she glared at the purple scales that covered her from her hips down. "To see the world, out of these blasted waters." She swatted the water in front of her, to ripple her own reflection, after noticing her fishy eyes and tail.
 
"Its gettin' late." I muttered, looking at the clock tower. "I have to leave. Goodbye!"

"Hey wait! I'm not done!" Adamaris called after me, as I ran. 

********
"Twelve-thirty. Cutting it close princess." Kira-Lynn greeted me at the door.
 
"I--" I had to stop and breathe for a minute. I'd run home from the Aren's lake, and to be honest, becoming out of shape. "I know. But I'm here before they got back."

Kira-Lynn gestured for me to come forward, and she began brushing and plaiting my hair. "I thought you'd be a little scruffy from running, but this is truely unbelievable."

I shrugged. "Blame the Aren sisters." I muttered.
 
"I don't think I want to know. So, tell me, I'm quite curious, how did the daughter of an aristocrat become her stepmothers personal maid?" she asked.
 
"It's a long story." I sighed, not wanting to get into back stories. 

"I think we'll have time."