The Price of Glass Slippers

Chapter 6

Seven sets of eyes locked were locked on me. Not once did their gaze shift, and actually, I never saw one of them even so much as blink. Just stare. Blankly. At me. I think you get the point. I'd never been through such an awkward moment in my life, and at this point, and haven't had one so awkward since. Hopefully saying that didn't jinx it.

"You... Can't marry me?" Darien didn't seem upset. He seemed confused. Had no one ever told this boy 'no' before?

"I can't just this yet, your majesty. We hardly know each other. What if we marry and you end up not lovin' me? What if you can't stand me?" I asked. My argument didn't hold much weight, everyone in that era married strangers, it was just something that was accepted.

He shook his head and stared at me pleadingly. "But Lady Eleanor..."

Demetri once again tried to interrupt a moment between myself and his lovely brother. This time though, I was rather glad he did. "Have her live in the castle for a few weeks, get to know one another. See if it will work out."

Darien scrunched his perfect face, "Demetri that's--" He softened up and smiled. "An absolutely brilliant idea. Of course, only if Lady Eleanor is interested.

I stopped to think, but not of if I wanted to go or not. There was no doubt in my mind that I didn't want to go. Any opportunity away from Camille and Gertrude was a wonderful opportunity. I actually stopped to think of how wonderful it would be, living in a palace, having someone else to clean, someone else to cook, someone else to fix hair and mend dresses. Oh, it'd be paradise! Darien being around at my beckoning call was also a major benefit. "I'd love to!"

"Excellent! I'll make the arrangements and send for you the moment the sun sets!" Darien announced.

As he slipped out of the house, Demetri muttered something along the lines of "Meaning I'll make the arrangements and send for her."

One by one, the four men left. Once they were gone, Gertrude and Camille both turned their attention back to me. "How did you get to the ball last night?" Gertrude hissed. "You weren't to leave the house. It was Mother's rule!"

Kira-Lynn rushed into the room and defensively took me by the arm."It's her home, she can do as she pleases. Jenning's left it to her, and you all know it." She began to pull me towards the stairs. "Come on, Ellie darling, we should go pack your favourite belongings, all the treasured things you'll need during your stay at the palace." She put extra emphasis on the word 'palace' to further torment Camille and Gertrude. Millie slipped away into the other room, no longer wanting to deal with the foolish display being made by her sister and Kira-Lynn.

"Yes'm." I replied, then turned to run up the stairs. I didn't want to leave my home with bitterness, and figured it was best to just leave the room. Besides, I needed time to say goodbye to my things.

Despite being so excited to leave, I was a bit depressed. I'd grown up in this room, everything I had ever loved had resided in there at one point or another. My old dolls, my bed and my books, and most importantly, my old paintings and photographs of my father. Carefully, I took a few of my favourite books and photographs, and carefully tucked them into a box. With one final look around my childhood room, I sighed and turned away. My old life was over and my new one was just beginning. My new life as a prince's lover and a wish granter... Maybe I was in over my head.