Status: Complete.

I'd Trade Just About Anything

Chapter 09

(Tour Day 3, second show)
(Dani's POV)
"Craig?" I inquired, rubbing his shoulders gently. "What's wrong? You seem stressed."
He shrugged, "It's nothing, Dani, okay?"
I sighed, knowing he was hiding the obvious truth, "Okay...well-"
"Craig? We're on in ten minutes," Mike interrupted.
Craig responded blankness in his voice, "Thanks, Mike." He placed his lips on mine. "See ya, hun."
"Good luck," I told him. "Love you."
He replied with silence, leaving the room with Mike trailing closely behind him.
I sighed, drooping in my seat.
"Hey, Craig-" Matt came in, "Oh...did he already leave?"
I nodded.
Matt came towards me. "What's wrong?"
When Matt wasn't being sarcastic, he was really sweet. Then again, all of the guys are.
"Craig's been...acting weird...it's worrying me...," I confessed.
He hugged me lightly, setting a hand on my head, "Don't worry, Dani. I'm sure it'll be okay. You two are made for each other."
I stopped the tears from pouring from my eyes. "What...what if this means we...we just aren't m-meant to be?"
"That's impossible. It's okay. Well, I gotta go on soon. If you ever need anyone to talk to, 100% confidential, just pull me aside. I'm always all ears." he got up, patting my shoulder once, then leaving the room.
(Craig's POV)
"Craig? We're on in ten minutes," Mike interrupted us.
I responded, only blankness in my voice, "Thanks, Mike." I placed my lips on Dani's. "See ya, hun."
"Good luck," she told me. "Love you."
I reply with nothing, not knowing if I should say anything. Does she really? ...do I? Craig! We've been over this! It's love. You wouldn't have held on this long if it wasn't.
"Craig, man, is everything cool with you and Dani?" Mike asked, his voice filled with concern.
I shrugged, "I...I don't know..."
He sighed, "You can't let go of what you two had."
I felt anger rising in my chest. I let it out with a yell, "...but what if we have to, Mike?!?"
He stood in silence, scared to death. I walked off angrily. What was this sudden burst of anger?
(Mike's POV)
Matt came out of the dressing room, his hands deep in his pockets.
"Man...Dani and Craig...I just don't know...really...," he sighed, seeming defeated.
I nodded. "Dude...do you really think they'll make it?"
He shrugged, "I...I don't know."
I heard the dressing room door open and saw Dani walk out of it, brushing past us.
"Dani!" I called.
She turned and her tears were escalating down her cheeks, her eyeshadow smeared as well. She sniffled, "What?!"
Matt and I's eyes grew wide at the sight. She sighed and charged off.
Damn...Dani's gorgeous.
I blinked a couple of times, praying it would get rid of that thought.
What will that thought cause? More shit. Can't have that...
"Dude, I can't believe it..." Matt said in shock.
I nodded, "I mean...how'd it come to this...?"
"Guys, we're on in a minute," Jared stated. "Listen to this," he motioned to the crowd.
"BLESSTHEFALL, BLESSTHEFALL, BLESSTHEFALL," they chanted.
I smiled in astonishment.
"Craig, this is crazy!" Eric told him.
Craig was leaning up against a wall, zoned out. Poor guy...I'd act like him if I was losing Court...
(Craig's POV)
I felt like crying, but I wasn't gonna. I had a job. It was to go on-stage and give that crowd a show! Don't think this'll be one of my best nights...
Our intro interrupted my thoughts. Showtime...
Fun.
"Hey, Anaheim! How ya doing tonight?!" as always, my response was a scream. We broke into Guys Like You...well you know the rest.
I wasn't putting on my best show...the guys sure were...but I couldn't get the me and Dani factor out of my mind. It was poking at my nerves, trying to get a rise out of me. At one point, during Rise Up, Dani watched from the side of the stage, her eyes a bit puffy. I stared at her for a few seconds.
What happened to our love? I remember the day I thought I'd lost her...the day she disappeared...
(FLASHBACK: 12/19/2004)
I arrived back at Dani's house with the craziest news ever. Science Records recognized us!
I couldn't wait to hear her loving voice say, "That's amazing!!!"
We approached the door, only to see it was busted open. I bit my lip. Eric and Jared each placed a hand on my shoulder, gripping it. They were the only two coming to get Dani with me.
"D-dani?" I forced out.
I slowly stepped into the house. My soft footsteps appeared to be as loud as thunder with each step I took. It was too quiet. The only sound was MTV Cribs on TV. I gulped. Dani had been here. I walked, Jared and Eric waiting outside. Then I saw it...
I dropped to my knees in agony, muttering shit under my breath. "No...fuck...it can't...no!...it couldn't...she...love...Dani...NO!"
Jared and Eric rushed to me, and stood in silence at the sight. The gun...the blood...
I started bawling as I lay on the floor. We only went out for party food...one hour at the most. I...I should've waited for her to wake up...
"No...no!!! No!!! Not my Dani! Not her!!!" I screamed with what was left of my strength.
Eric and Jared immediately embraced me. I cried even more, muttering crap under my breath still. My nose stung with the stench of blood. No...
Jared began saying, "Craig...Craig...Craig...dude, c'mon," he grew louder with each word. "Craig!!!"
"Jared, let's take him to the van," Eric instructed.
He nodded in agreement and they struggled to pull me away from the house where I last saw my love. My girl. I struggled to pull away from their strong hold on me.
"No! DANI!!! No!!! It can't!!!"
They forced me into the backseat, Jared calming me while Eric drove. Why is this happening? Why me? Why me?