Status: Active!!

A Melody from the Heart

Audrey

I never knew that walking into that building at that exact moment would change my life forever…

Matt Sanders walked into the recording studio not knowing what to expect, exactly. He was hoping to find something new, different, and exciting. Of course, whether or not he actually found that was still a mystery to him at the moment.

All he knew was it was his last hope to find what he had been searching for. The new record he was writing didn’t seem to come together in the way all of the others seemed to, and he didn’t know what ingredient was missing. Everyone else didn’t know why he thought this, but he knew he couldn’t let the record be finished as it currently was. Everyone else thought it was ready for release, but not him. Matt knew there was something important he had to find first.

The rest of his band members were fed up with waiting, and at this point they were willing to do anything necessary to just finish the record already. It had been long enough since they had released any new material, and they knew fans were starting to get antsy. They had moved back the release date so many times now that people were beginning to wonder if there even was a new record.

In order to find this mysterious missing piece to the puzzle, Matt had dragged his band mates across the country to New York City. They had made all of their music in California, but Matt thought they might be able to find that one special quality that would make the record stand out in a different state. One of the farthest states from California, in fact.

He wanted to work with new people to get different inputs. They had mostly everything recorded already, but Matt thought that someone who never heard the material before may be able to add the things that made a good song turn into the kind of song that stuck with people forever.

They all had been impressed with the recording studio since they walked into it. It was nothing like they were used to, with waterfalls and fountains in the lobby and polished marble floors. There were mostly glass walls, which just added to the overall modern feel of the building.

The studio they had recorded their last few albums in was by no means shabby, but it was nothing compared to this. They were getting outside of their comfort zone for sure.

The studio was owned by their record label as well, so it was no problem to have it arranged. In fact, their label was more than happy to accommodate Matt and his pickiness. He knew it was because they were starting to get tired of his delays, too.

“I guess we’re not in California anymore,” Zacky mumbled under his breath as he brought his face up to one of the glass walls to look through it.

“Have you found what you’re looking for yet, Shads?” Brian asked. He had been the most frustrated by Matt’s unhappiness over their recorded material. “It looks a lot fancier here, but I’m pretty sure they have all the same equipment we have at home.”

“Stop whining, Brian,” Jimmy said. “As long as Matt knows what he’s looking for, that’s all that matters, and the more you talk, the longer he’s going to take. All I have to say is if he doesn’t find some magical shit soon, we may get the award for the most postponements of an album.”

“You know I can hear all of you talking about me,” Matt said. He wasn’t mad though. He had been in good spirits since they got into the city since he was in new scenery. “I’ll know what I’m looking for when I find it. I know it’s here though, I can just feel it.”

Just then a tiny man with a clipboard and a headset came bustling up to them. He looked disheveled as he pushed his glasses up onto his nose. “I’m assuming all of you belong to the band called Avenged Sevenfold. It seems to me the appearance fits the name,” the man said quietly, under his breath. None of them knew whether he was actually talking to them or to himself.

“We’re Avenged Sevenfold,” Zacky replied, not caring if the man meant for them to hear his snide remarks. Zacky was thinking how the people here were going to be much different to deal with than the people back home. They were much more businesslike in New York, apparently.

“Yes, well I’m glad I found you somewhere. I’ve been looking for you all over the building because the receptionist said you disappeared,” the man said. “But then again, I guess that’s her fault for not telling you to stay put. Anyway, my name is Glen, and the label assigned me to you for the time you’re here to make sure everything goes smoothly. If you need anything, I’m the one to ask. I’ll also be the one to show you around here today and let you know who everyone is. I’m afraid since it’s later in the day, not everyone is here though, but I’m sure we can make do with what we have.”

“Well, our lead singer here thinks you have something here that isn’t in California,” Brian said, clearly trying to get this visit over with as quickly as possible. “Do you think you’ll be able to point out to us just exactly what that is?”

“If that was my job, I wouldn’t be here so late giving all of you a tour,” Glen said, clearly not taking any of the attitude that Brian was giving him.

“You know, I think we’re going to get along just fine, Glen,” Matt said with a smile as he followed the man through the hallway.

“I’m thrilled,” Glen replied sarcastically as he took them down a hallway that branched off to the left. “Now, while I can’t personally help you with your music, I can show you the things that can. Our studio includes many state of the art recording rooms, all with soundproof, glass walls. This allows everyone to know what’s going on inside and outside of the recording room.”

They turned a corner again, and that’s when Matt saw her. It was almost as if his world had stopped for a moment, and the only thing that was real was her. She recording something, and she was playing the violin. It was perched on her shoulder, yet as she played, she never bothered to look at the sheets of music that were laid out in front of her. Her eyes were closed, and it looked like there was a pained, yet somewhat peaceful look on her face.

“Most of our staff has worked with many different successful, mainstream artists today. Our studio records all type of music, from rock to classical, and everyone knows how to produce songs that are worthy of the number one spot,” Glen was explaining as he continued with their tour. Matt had missed some of what he said as he was watching the girl in one of the studios. More importantly, though, he hadn’t even realized that Glen was actually walking straight towards the recording room she was in.

He stopped in front of the door with his hand on handle. He turned to talk to them again before entering the room, “Now, like I said before, it’s late, so there weren’t very many choices to show you. They wanted me to show you an example of how we conduct our recording sessions, but I’m afraid this won’t be a very accurate example. Unfortunately, this is the only room that still has someone in it, and I know it’s not a singer or rock band recording, but it’s the best I can do at the moment.”

With that, Glen opened the door and they followed him inside. There was a young man sitting in a leather chair at the control panel, and he was clearly frustrated. He let out an angry sigh as he ran his hands over his face and through his hair.

“Audrey, you have to work with me here,” the man said as he pushed a button so she could hear him. “We’ve been here all day, and we’ve had a thousand perfect takes, but none of them seem good enough for you.”

“It’s not good enough, Ryan,” the girl, Audrey, snapped back. “I will not settle for giving someone subpar work. They wanted me to record in order to get the best, and that’s what I’m going to give them. You get paid by the hour, anyway, so I don’t see why it’s such a big deal.”

“Fine, let’s try this again and hope it’s good enough for you this time,” Ryan said. “Be ready to go in three minutes.”

Ryan turned to face Glen and the guys as Audrey looked over her sheets of music again. “Glen, what can I do for you?” Ryan asked. He looked glad to see new faces. “I’m surprised that anyone is even here anymore since it’s starting to get late. We’ve been here since five in the morning.”

“Who is that?” Matt asked out of curiosity as he watched the girl.

“This is Audrey Townsend,” Ryan said as he leaned forward on his chair and put his elbows on his knees. “She’s amazing violin player, but she’s terrible to work with. On her first take, everything was perfect, but not to her. And now, thirteen hours later, she still thinks everything she recorded isn’t good enough.”

“What makes her so great?” Zacky asked as he scrutinized the girl.

“She’s a natural at playing,” Ryan explained. “That sets her apart from the rest already, but put on top of that the fact that she’s been doing nothing but playing that thing since she was around four, and you’ve got one of the greatest players in the country. Ever since she graduated from Julliard, she’s gotten thousands of offers to be the soloist in numerous Orchestras all over the world. Once you hear her play, you’ll see why everyone wants her.”

Ryan turned back to the wall that looked into the recording room. He once again turned the speaker on to talk. “Audrey, whenever you’re ready to start, go ahead.”

“She’s hot,” Matt heard Zacky whisper to Brian. He shook his head with a smile on his face. Of course Zacky was only thinking about that. He wasn’t wrong, though. This girl had beautiful aristocratic looks that let Matt know right away she came from a family with old money.

His thoughts, however, were completely erased at the sound of the first note she played. Audrey, once again, had her eyes closed as she played. She made it look so effortless, but he knew that was anything but the case.

Each note contained every kind of emotion possible. It made you want to smile, yet cry at the same time because the sound was so beautiful and rich. He didn’t understand how someone could put so much emotion and feeling into their music.

Matt noticed none of the guys were talking to each other anymore, and the annoyed expression Brian had been wearing since he arrived in New York had been erased off of his face. There was no other choice but to listen to what she was playing with awe.

She played for a full five minutes, but in the time they were listening, it felt like a life time. When Audrey finally stopped, it was weird coming back to reality, and Matt found himself wishing he could listen to her play more.

After she played her final note, she lowered her bow slowly to her side, but she still kept her eyes closed. After a few moments, a smile crept to her face, and Matt heard her say, “That was the one.”

“Finally,” Ryan said in an aside to Glen. “It’s about time. I couldn’t deal with her being a prima donna any longer.”

At that moment, Matt knew he had finally found what the missing element to his album was, and he was going to do anything to get it.

“That’s what I want on the album,” Matt said to everyone in the room.

“Dude, I’m sure there are thousands of violin players in California,” Brian said. “Don’t tell me you dragged us all the way across the county just to realize you want fucking violins.”

“Well, since you’re here,” Glen said. “I’ll tell the producers that’s what you want. We have plenty of studio violinists for you to use so your trip won’t be a total waste.”

“No that’s not what I want,” Matt replied, looking at each of them. “I want her to play on the album, no one else. I mean, imagine it you guys. With her sound brought down to accompany Brian and Zacky’s guitars, it would make some of the songs that are lacking quality something different.”

Glen and Ryan burst out in laughter at his statement.

“No offence, but she’s not going to work with you,” Ryan said. “I’ve heard your music, and your band is really good, but Audrey doesn’t just work with anybody. You’re better off just going with one of the other ones we have here.”

“If you’re talking about money, we can offer her whatever she wants,” Matt said. He wasn’t willing to lose his discovery.

“It has nothing to do with money,” Ryan said. “In fact, she doesn’t even care about the money when she records with someone. For instance, what she was recording today was for a famous orchestra based out of New York City. She’s recording this for free just because she respects their music so much. Again, no offence, but she’s not going to record something for a rock band.”

“All I’m asking of you is to tell her we’re making an offer,” Matt said again. He heard Brian sigh behind him, and he knew Brian thought he was wasting their time. There was something about this girl, though, and Matt was determined to have that amazing, heartbreaking sound they just listened to on his new album.

“Alright, but I’m just warning you now, her answer is going to be no.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, try and stick with this through the first couple chapters. They're going to be a little slow and shaky because it was really weird for me at first to write about people other than Brian and Ellie. (Oh, the italics at the beginning of each chapter of this story is a little bit of narration by Matt)

Speaking of them, the next chapter of that story should be out tonight. It's long as hell.

Thank you for all of the support for this story already! I'm glad all of you like it so far, because I wasn't sure what everyone was going to think. Keep all of the great comments coming!!