Small Change

The year is 1972. The place is everywhere from San Diego, California to a small town in Mexico to the throbbing streets of New Orleans. Your protagonist is Tom.

Tom Traubert.

Until a few weeks ago, Tom was just your run of the mill guy, working out at the track taking bets and sweeping up, playing the sax on Friday nights down at the club, your everyday occurrences.

Then, a not so everyday occurrence forces him to flee the country, slips him not so subtly into a few devious acts, makes him take on a few odd jobs, and eventually, delivers him to a fate he didn't see coming.

No, he didn't see it coming at all.

(c) Copyright 2010 to waits. All song lyrics by Tom Waits, copyright July 1976. I take no credit for any lyrics used in this story, however, the characters and situations are purely my own, even if they are inspired by Mr. Waits.

This story is being written for this contest.
  1. Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind in Copenhagen)
    Now the dogs are barking, and the taxi cab's parking, a lot they can do for me. I begged you to stab me, you tore my shirt open, and I'm down on my knees tonight.
  2. Step Right Up
    We got a year-end clearance, we got a white sale and smoke-damaged furniture, you can drive it away today! Act now, act now, and receive as our gift, our gift to you, they come in all colors, one size fits all!