Status: Finished

The Other Side of the Door

I Don't Need You...But I Do

"You're overreacting, Lily!" Nick screamed. Lily was silent, her fingers curling into solid fists, the already pale skin turning near translucent.

"I'm overreacting? That's it, Nicholas Jerry Jonas! I'm done!" Lily turned just in time to see the look on Nick's face. He knew he'd crossed a line.

"No, Lily. I didn't mean it. Lily, I love you. Don't do this," Nick begged, grabbing her arm lightly. She turned to face him, brushing a strand of chestnut hair out of her eyes. Her pink lips curled into a bittersweet smile, and she shook her head, trying to make sense of it.

"I've had enough Nick." She gave her arm a gentle tug, her ocean colored eyes meeting his. He said nothing, just stood there speechless. Her boots made no noise against the scuffed tile.

She fled the apartment quickly, brushing at her eyes. Some people stared, but most didn't give her a second thought. By the time she'd hailed a taxi, her phone was already buzzing. Before she knew it, a scream was escaping her lips. The driver turned quickly, then directed his eyes back to the road.

"You okay, miss?" He asked, giving her another curious glance. She dabbed her eyes again, surprised at the amount of tears.

"Just peachy," she snapped, instantly feeling bad about it. It wasn't his fault. The ringing was getting to her. Pulling out her Blackberry, she saw Nick's picture appearing. Taking in a deep breath, she processed her options.

Option one, she could answer.

"No," she thought to herself. She was in no state to talk to him. She would do something rash, something she'd regret. She'd end it right there. And as much as she didn't want to admit it, she wanted nothing more than to be with him.

She turned her phone off, deciding to call back later, after she'd had time to cool down.

"We're here, miss." The man's voice was cautions, but rough. She smiled apologetically, handing the money over, adding a big tip. She scurried quickly into her building. The clouds were gathering, and the streets of New York had taken on an ominous look. The doorman let her in, and she went straight to the stairs. She didn't have time for the elevator, and besides, she wanted to be alone.

As she started her decent to the third floor, she thought about how different things had become.

"Shake it off. You can't keep doing this," she whispered, shutting her cerulean eyes. She knew the way to her apartment by heart, she'd lived there since she was a baby.

She slammed the door, knowing very well there was no one inside. She ran straight to her bedroom, closing the window. The sky had opened up, releasing it's tears upon the city. She slumped to the ground, out of energy. Shutting her eyes, she let her own tears fall. Her hands went behind her, exploring the floor underneath the bed. They made contact with exactly what she was looking for.

She pulled a shoebox out, opening the lid with care. Finally, she allowed her eyes to open, her gaze upon pictures, chronicling the two years she'd spent with Nick. If she hadn't been so proud, she'd be with him right now, watching a movie. Or listening as his calloused fingertips plucked at the bronze strings of his acoustic. Anything but sitting alone. Her eyes flashed to the land line on her end table. It was blinking with missed calls. What had he said to enrage her like this?

"How was L.A?" Lily asked, sitting on the plush tan couch. Nick smiled, sitting next to her. He entangled his fingers with hers, looking into her blue-green eyes.

"Great. But I missed you." He kissed her nose after saying this, and she laughed, pushing him playfully.

"I'm sure you have plenty of friends there."

"Well, yeah. We hung out with Demi, and went bowling with Nicole and Selena." Lily's mouth dropped, her eyes hurt.

"As in your ex girlfriends?"

"Babe, I work with them. We have to get along."

"You don't have to do anything!" She'd shouted back.

"You're overreacting!" He'd returned her shout, a notch louder.


It had all gone downhill from there, ending with Lily slamming his door. She buried her head in her hands, realizing her mistake, all too late.

They worked together. She'd misread everything. Nick had been right. He always was. Her eyes teared over, as she realized something.

"You didn't come after me," her voice was barely audible, even to herself. "Why didn't you see that?" She knew in her heart that the one she wanted to hear the words was across the city; he was also the only one she ever wanted.

She heard something against her window, something different from the plopping rain. Robotically, she set the faded brown cardboard box back in it's place, walking slowly to the window. She didn't think of her red eyes or the makeup running down her face. What she saw nearly sent her over the terrace.

Nick had a handful of rocks, down down on the mud ridden green grass.

"Leave, Nick!" She was shouting over the wind. The rain was coming down in monstrous drops. His brown curls were sticking to his face, his eyes were determined, but not in the usual way. Not like when he was writing a song, or recording.

"No, Lily. I'm in love with you. I'm in love with Lilliana Marie Smith!" People passing by stared from below their umbrellas or jackets as they rushed to their cars or apartments. Lily hesitated, not knowing if she was strong enough to say it.

"Nick! I can't even look at you! I don't need you!" She screamed.

"Oh, yes you do," her thoughts contradicted. She grinded her teeth, fighting it.

"Lily, I wanna make this work! I wanna make this right!" It occurred to Lily that the water was probably ruining the leather jacket he was wearing.

"Impractical. It's fricken raining," she muttered to herself, trying to ignore what they were really arguing about.

"Lily, answer me! What can I do?" His eyes reminded her of a puppy. But more than that, it reminded her she loved him. She needed him.

"There's nothing you can say to make this right again! I mean it, Nick! Leave!" It was hard to sound serious while competing against the wind to be heard. But he did hear. It registered on his face. She couldn't tell if it was the rain or tears running down his face.

"Okay," he said, just loud enough for her to hear. He turned his back, and she watched him, the rain soaking through her jeans, matting her hair against her porcelain skin.

"Damn it!" She screamed, slamming her hand against the black metal railing. She didn't process the pain. She sobbed, falling to the brick flooring of the small terrace. She curled herself in a ball, squeezing her eyes shut. All she could see was his beautiful face. The way his eyes looked when she told him to go. Then she thought about everything. Everything that they'd been through.

"Are you going to to be gone more than a month?" Lily had asked. He had to do press rounds, promoting his tour. He looked directly into her eyes, smiling a bit.

"No. I'll be back here in time for our anniversary."

"Will you call me everyday?"

"I promise," he'd sworn, engulfing her in a kiss before she could say anything else.


He'd called once a week, at the most. But it wasn't that big of a lie. He'd been back, just when he said.

"Nick, dinner was amazing," she whispered, scooting closer to him in the limo. Her silk emerald dress slid easy against the black leather seats. Nick was beaming in his tux.

"I'm glad." He furrowed his eyebrows when she yawned. "Get some rest, it's a long way back." She'd protested, but eventually gave in. The ride had been over a hour. When they did arrive at her building, he didn't have the heart to wake her. Instead, he scooped her into his strong, muscular arms, and carried her up to their suite on the third floor. She'd woken up just in time to tell him goodbye for the night.


She let her mind wander instead to the argument this afternoon. She'd cried so hard, all over his ex-girlfriend. Selena wasn't worth that fit. She liked Selena. Maybe that was the problem. She was afraid Nick liked her more; she was just some rich girl from a dysfunctional family. She sharply inhaled at this. She felt her senses leaving her, but she couldn't help but think of their first dinner with her parents.

"Nick, my family isn't like yours," she warned, holding his hand as they followed the waitress.

"Don't worry. I'm sure I'll love them." He smiled, his eyes raking over her body in her little black dress. As if reading his mind, she smiled, almost seductively. He had to blink a few times to concentrate.

They waited for an hour. Nick had kept her spirits up the whole time. Finally, the waitress walked up to them, her brown eyes apologetic.

"It seems your parents have been delayed-"

"They won't be making it?" Lily interrupted, not bothering for an answer. The waitress walked away faster than Nick had thought possible in heels that high.

"Let's go," Nick said, grabbing her hand.

"Where?"

"It's a surprise." They ended up in the park, and he played her a song. A song he wrote for her. She'd cried, and he wiped the tears away.


All of this rushed through her head. She mustered all of her energy and courage, and pulled her body off of the ground. Water dripped throughout the house as she scrambled of the terrace and to the front door. She pulled it open, slamming into someone. They both fell to the ground. Lily groaned, she didn't have time for this, she had to find...

"Nick?" Her voice was shocked, seeing him on the tan speckled carpet beside her. A puddle formed under them, but neither minded much.

"Lily, what are you doing? Why are you still soaked?" His voice was filled with concern, he sat up, running his hands over her face. He couldn't believe this was real.

"I-- never mind. The thing is, Nick, I was wrong. I need you." Tears began to pour from her ocean eyes yet again, and Nick's widened.

"Shh. Calm down." He wiped her tears, pulling her into his shoulder.

"Nick, I didn't want you to leave. I wanted you. You're all I need." She rambled, pulling back. Nick placed his finger on her lips, smoothing her water saturated hair.

"It's okay, Lil." He whispered, placing butterfly kisses all over her face. She wrapped her arms around him, and for the first time in hours, things fell into place.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know. I was bored, couldn't sleep, and love this song. Whatdya think?

xxxo, Sara