Hajime no Insho

sho gojuni.

“You look nervous.”

Kouyou gave a short laugh, and he turned his head to look over at his old friend. There was a smile on his lips that had been lingering there for days, and it widened as he said, “Nervous? No, not nervous. Anxious as hell, yes, but I have nothing to be nervous about.”

“Not even getting married?”

Kouyou shook his head, laughing softly once more. In the four and a half years that he and Yuu had been together, he’d never had anything to be nervous about. He’d only ever felt anxiety over what felt surreal and too good to be his life, and he’d only ever felt absolute content with the man waiting for him a mere twenty feet away. “This is all I’ve ever dreamed of having with him.” He smiled again, and his expression softened, and Akira simply chuckled quietly and drew the guitarist into a hug.

“I’m happy for you, Kou,” he said, and he could only chuckle as Kouyou kissed his cheek and then pulled away. “I’m glad you have someone like him to take care of you.”

Kouyou rolled his eyes, swatting away the hand that threatened to ruffle his hair, even though he knew that this day was one of few days that Akira wouldn’t actually go through with his threat. “Yeah, I know, you sap. Otherwise you’d do it yourself, ne?” He winked, chuckling a little, and then he glanced past the door, where less than a hundred of his and Yuu’s friends and family members had gathered, barely spotting the man waiting for him, and his smile widened. “But I know what you mean.” He sighed, the sound quiet as a breath, and he looked back at his friend. “I’m glad I have him, too.”

Akira smiled. “Ready, then?”

Kouyou grinned, nodding once. “Yeah. I’m ready.” He watched as his oldest friend returned to his place at the front of the room, and his smile remained as he watched Akira murmur something to Yuu and as Yuu glanced up and smiled. Something in his heart tensed, and he bit his lip as music played – something not too typical, something that Yuu had written for him, something that still made his heart rate go wild – and he lifted a hand and pushed open the door.

He bit his lip as he made one foot step in front of the other, and, for the most part, he trained his gaze on Yuu, the man that he was there for, and it was all he could do to keep his smile intact as he walked. His heartbeat seemed to quicken as he neared Yuu’s side, and he felt his heart jump as the dark-haired man reached a hand out, gently folding it around his and tugging him close.

Yuu’s palm was warm and soft against his own palm, and Kouyou smiled brightly up at him as the two of them took their place. Yuu’s other hand found his, squeezing gently, and the dark-haired man smiled, and Kouyou found it difficult to remember a time when Yuu had ever looked happier to be near him.

He barely heard the words being spoken as the man that would be marrying them began the traditional wedding sermon, barely noticed that his mother’s eyes teared up as she watched him and Yuu watch each other, barely noticed that their friends, their band mates, were sniffling beside them. If it had been any other day, he would have been teasing them for being grown men with tears in their eyes, but honestly, there were very few things that he noticed that didn’t involve Yuu.

He noticed the thumbs brushing over his knuckles. He noticed the soft breath leaving the lips that were mere inches away from his own. He noticed the dark gaze that held onto his as though his eyes held the secret of the universe, and he noticed the way that every second spent standing there with Yuu made his heart continue to race more and more. He noticed the way Yuu’s hold on his hands would tighten as their officiator spoke about their relationship, and he sure as hell noticed when Yuu whispered an I love you so that only the two of them could really hear.

He was standing there and running on auto-pilot as he willed his self-restraint to keep him from sliding his arms around Yuu’s neck and kissing him far too soon, and he squeezed the dark-haired man’s hands as his eyes closed once the words Speak now or forever hold your peace had been said. He’d been assured countless time that no one would ever contest, but the very idea of their wedding had always seemed far too perfect, and, until now, someone contesting their marriage was something that Kouyou had grown to fear. But, as the silent seconds passed, Kouyou’s smile returned, and he opened his eyes to glance up at the man that, within minutes, would be his husband, and he felt a flurry of butterflies in his stomach at the very thought.

And then Yuu was prompting him to look away and over at their officiator, and he smiled, freeing one of his hands to take the ring that Akira was holding out for him, and he bit his lip as Yuu extended his left hand. He smiled, and he pressed a kiss to the golden band, and he answered with a shaky, “I do,” as he was asked if he promised to always love this man. His heart fluttered, and he slid the ring onto Yuu’s third finger when the officiator told him that he could.

His heart was pounding now, and he bit his lip once more as Yuu turned to accept Kouyou’s ring from the band’s beloved drummer, and he half-smiled as Yutaka beamed and winked. His hand was shaky as he extended it for Yuu to take, and he actually shivered as the dark-haired man’s hand closed tenderly around his wrist.

Time seemed to freeze with Yuu’s hand holding the ring lingering mere inches away from his finger, and he looked up and tried a smile as the officiator asked Yuu the same question he’d asked Kouyou, and he could have sworn that his heart nearly stopped when the dark-haired man grinned and said, “Yes.”

And then, time settled effortlessly back into place. Smoothly, Yuu slid Kouyou’s ring onto his finger, and moments later, it was declared that they were married, and finally, finally, he and Yuu could kiss. He beamed as Yuu’s hands found the dip of his back and pulled him closer, and he closed his eyes and sighed quietly as his arms wrapped around the dark-haired man’s neck and their lips met for a kiss. Kouyou was in heaven, his head spinning, as Yuu, his husband, gave him the kiss of a lifetime, and he grinned and held on tight as they broke apart.

“Finally,” he whispered. “Finally, you’re mine.”

Yuu chuckled, and he gave Kouyou another kiss, and when he drew back, his smile was incredibly bright. “Kouyou, love,” he said, and his voice was nothing more than a whisper, meant only for the two of them, “yours is all I’ve ever been.”