Status: one-shot

We Are Nothing

one.

We’re at the park, the usual after school hang out spot. Our job is to look pretty and watch the boys skate on the netball courts, clap every now and then and entertain them when they’re finished. Our skirts would serve better purpose as a belt and our stocking have strategically placed holes in them that run up the length of our thighs so the boys can make “easy access” jokes we pretend to be offended by.

There’s a loud, obnoxious laugh and we glance over to the play equipment. The nerds are there, laughing at some joke we probably wouldn’t understand. One of them starts singing the Doctor Who theme and we scoff - Not that we’d ever watched an episode of that in our lives. And even if we had we’d probably spend the entire time trying to figure out why those robots have a plunger in the middle of their face - They’re so pathetic in their superior knowledge and individual thought.
“Geeks.” We mutter under our breath. Secretly we want to be them.

One of the nerds is walking over to the boys. It seems Brad has called her over, and he is smiling. Why? We wonder.
“Still right to tutor me for English on Friday?” He asks her. Marie, we think her name is.
“You still right to teach me how to skate?” Marie counters, grinning. Brad laughs. He laughs?
“I can help you with English Brad!” We say. We’re ignored.

The rest of the nerds have wandered over. The boys let them into their conversation. They have joined us. No. The realisation hits us hard. We’re not part of this group anymore. No attention has been paid to us. We are nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are nice.