Reason to Live

chapter 10

When a 1958 Plymouth Fury pulled up in front of us, there was no doubt in my mind that it was Marie. It was a pretty awesome car, and she’s a pretty awesome chick, so it made sense. That and only the girlfriend of Eric Carr could drive that recklessly.

“Do you value your life?” Bruce joked.

“Get in Kulick, or get a taxi,” Marie yelled. It cracked me up. When Bruce and I got into the back seat of Marie’s car, I was more than happy to hear Led Zeppelin playing.

“Your place or rehearsals?” Marie asked.

“Mine,” Bruce said, putting his arm around me. She was about to pull out from the kerb when some inconsiderate jerk flew past, almost hitting us.

“You asshole!” Marie yelled. “Did you see that?”

“Welcome to New York,” Bruce said, kissing my ear. I giggled.

“That prick almost hit me!” Marie complained.

“Calm down Maire. He didn’t hit us,” Bruce said.

“But he fucking could’ve. And he probably wouldn’t stop if he did,” she growled, pursing after the guy.

“...uh, Marie. You’re going the wrong way,” Bruce pointed out.

“I think she knows,” I whispered to him.

“I’ll get you. You’ll be sorry. Nobody puts my car in danger,” she muttered, looking fierce.

“Sure, your friends might have died..but if the car got scratched” Bruce made fun of her.

“I’ll kick you out if you want...no? Well, SHUT UP!” she replied with anger.

“She does this,” he said to me, rolling his eyes. I laughed.
Marie sped through traffic, tailing her target and sounding her horn ruthlessly. The guy pulled over and flipped her off.

“Oh!” she squealed, slamming on the breaks. “Did you just see that?” she asked us. We nodded, curious as to what would happen next.

“I’ll shove your finger up your ass you...” she muttered, wasting no time getting out of the car.

“Should we follow her?” I asked.

“From past experience, I think it’s best we don’t,” Bruce laughed.
Marie stormed towards the other car, ready to fight. The guy must have seen her coming because he sped off in a hurry. That made us laugh.

“You are awesome!” I said, proud to be in her presence, once Marie got back in the driver’s seat.

“Thanks,” she smiled.

“Happy now? Can we go home?” Bruce asked.

She turned to face us and smiled innocently. “Of course.”

“Wow!” was all I could really say once I walked inside Bruce’s apartment.

“Wow look at all this crap,” Marie joked, looking at Bruce’s collection of collector’s baseball bats.

“Many, many uses,” Bruce said, pretending to whack Marie over the head with a bat. She was completely unaware, so she looked at me strangely when I started laughing.

“Hungry? Thirsty?” Bruce asked me.

“Happy? Sleepy?.....Bashful, sneezy?” Marie asked.

“Stop naming dwarfs,” I laughed.

“Can I get you anything Audrey?” Bruce asked, walking to the kitchen.

“Water would be great, thanks,” I smiled.

“Hey Bruce, you have new messages on your answering machine. Do you want to hear them now?” Marie asked him.

“Yeah, ok,” he yelled from the kitchen. Marie hit the button and Eric’s voice began to play.

“Bruce, I’ve been looking everywhere for that card that had the number to that place and have no idea where it went, so I just went driving around because I wanted to take Marie out for Italian too.” Marie smiled and Bruce walked into the room, listening cautiously. “I’m not sure about that place, but I found another restaurant that is so fucking romantic that Audrey will do just about anything you ask her to,” Eric laughed. “I booked a table in your name, so just get the number off me later if you change your mind.”

“You idiot,” Bruce said quietly, rushing to end the message. Marie tried her hardest to conceal her laughter.

“Here’s your water,” Bruce smiled awkwardly, handing me a glass.

“Thanks,” I said, raising an eyebrow.

“I’ve just got to make a phone call. Make yourself at home,” Bruce smiled, walking away.

Watching KISS go through a sound check, standing on stage playing random tunes, should have been an amazing and exciting moment for me. It was for the first two hours, but my mind was more focused on the events that were to take place after the show. Marie could read my mind.

“So do you like Italian food?” she asked, not removing her eyes from a guitar magazine she was reading.

“I love it,” I replied enthusiastically.

“Oh, well you’ll love it tonight,” she winked. I started smiling, and tried to focus onstage to avoid the awkwardness. Damn, Bruce looked good up there. “Ahaha,” Marie laughed. I looked at her, still smiling. “ You’re going to have a great night Audrey”

“I’m sure I will,” I smiled. “Too bad I haven’t packed anything better to wear. I was not expecting to be here at all.”

“Oh, not to worry. I stole Gene’s credit card. Let’s go shopping,” Marie beamed, jumping up from her seat.

“You stole Gene’s credit card?” I asked shocked.

“Ok, so it’s mine. I’m just trying to seem cool,” she laughed.

“Dude, you made your impression this morning with the car incident. I worship you!”

“Finally! About time somebody around here gave me a bit of credit. It’s like only Eric understands me at times. Actually, I’m so glad you’re here. When I’m sitting around here bored, I need somebody to talk too, and I don’t really talk to other women much. But you aren’t like the other girls. You’re cool.”

“Thanks Marie,” I smiled.

“And hopefully, although I’m certain I will, I’ll be seeing you at these kind of places more often,” she said with a promising smile.

I smiled back at her, turning just in time to see Eric leap from the stage. “Hey baby,” Marie said to Eric.

“Hey,” he replied, kissing her passionately. “What’s going on?” he asked, concerned.

“Nothing’s wrong,” Marie laughed. “You worry too much,” she said, pulling at his cheeks. “I was just going to show Audrey around the city, since she’s ...new.""

"Oh, hi Audrey," Eric waved, only just noticing me. He was so taken by Marie, I swear he thought she was the only person in the room.

I noticed Bruce walking towards us, carrying a sweet, cobalt blue ESP. I didn't know where to look, both were gorgeous!
"What's going on?"Bruce asked curiously, smiling at me at the same time. I was in the right position to see Bruce's face reflected on the shiny surface of the guitar he was holding. I had my cake and ate it too.

"They're ditching us Bruce," Eric told him.

"What? You're leaving!"He said, sounding saddened.

"Just for a bit, I'll be back. I promise," I said, hugging him. He looked so cute, it was hard to resist.

"That's not the first promise you've made," he reminded me.

"C'mon Audrey, we better go," Marie said before kissing Eric goodbye.

"Ok, bye Bruce," I smiled, then kissed his nose. As I walked away, I glanced over my shoulder. He stood there, looking at me like a lost puppy. I blew him a kiss and walked off, smirking.

"Poor Bruce," Marie yelled over the Pink Floyd album she was blasting from her car's stereo.

"Why?" I asked.

"He had it all planned. You'd come watch him, he'd impress you with his unbelievable guitar skills. He didn't tell me that, I just made the assumption," she laughed.

"The two hours I did see were very impressive," I told her.

"Aww, you two are going to be the cutest couple," she said sweetly.

"Has he... said anything to you about me?"I wondered.

"Audrey. He hasn't shut up!"she laughed. I flashed a victorious smile.

"Ok."I replied.

"He's probably pissed at me now though. Because I stole you. But he'll be thanking me for it later."

"He will?"

"Yes. Because, when we return for that concert, you are going to look hotter than hell."

"Hey Audrey?"Marie asked from outside the change room.

"Yeah?"

"If this dress is the one. Would that mean that your Van Halen t-shirt is up for grabs?"

I laughed and pulled the curtain across. "It's all yours," I said, handing her the inside-out shirt.

"Dude, thank you! It's so......wow," she said, moving her eyes from the old t-shirt to my new choice of outfit.

"I think the red material really brings out the colour in your hair," a shop assistant said.

"You look.... amazing. Bruce Kulick is going to go out of his mind when he see's you like this!"

I bit my lip nervously. "I'm going out of my mind just thinking about it! Oh god, I am so nervous," I said, falling onto a chair.

"Don't be nervous. I guarantee he really, really likes you," she reassured me.

"I just don't wanna mess this up," I replied.

"You won't, trust me."

When we arrived back at the studio place, the fake audience were already there. KISS were performing a mock concert for 500 lucky fans, as they were being filmed live for a tv show. They played five songs, but only Tears Are Falling and Detroit Rock City were ever aired on television.

"Here," Marie said, throwing me a leather jacket.

"What's this?"I asked.

"Um.. a leather jacket," she replied sarcastically. "It's Eric's," she said, locking her car. "Wear it to tone down the dress. That way when you take it off when you go for dinner, Bruce will be
like "wow!""

"Haha, ok.."

"WOW!"she screamed when we pushed our way to the front row.

YOU WANTED THE BEST, YOU GOT THE BEST! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD - KISS!!!!