Reason to Live

Chapter 46

"Audrey!" Bruce yelled. I pretended not hear him. "Audrey, stop!" People watched curiously as I ran through the lobby, with Bruce chasing after me. I didn't care. "Audrey, come back!" I looked over my shoulder and saw that he was getting closer. Quickly, I turned into a corridor, finding isolation in an elevator. The door couldn't have closed slower if it tried.
Come on, come on!
He caught up pretty quickly I noticed, as he ran towards the elevator, his oversized jacket falling off his shoulders.
Yes!
The door closed in his face. As he banged on the door, I started to fear just how crazy he could be. The image of Bruce hanging from the bottom of the lift briefly crossed my mind.
I knew as soon as the elevator reached the 4th floor, I had to make a run for it. If I got there first, I could lock him out. To me, that was the best revenge I could think of. As soon as the motion stopped, I was already on my way, an inch away from the door as it opened. There he was, an inch away from the other side of the door. "What? How did you do that?" I asked, annoyed.
"Stairs," he deeply breathed, obviously a little out of breath from what would have been a fast paced journey.
"Get out of my way," I muttered, pushing past him and starting to run.
"No...Aud, please!"

I made it back to our hotel room first, as hoped. And as he tried to get in, I slammed the large oak door on his fingers. "Fuck Audrey!" I heard a muffled yell from the other side of the door.
I opened the door, to see him clenching his fingers in pain. "Now try and play guitar!" I screamed.
"Are you out of your mind? I think you broke my fingers!"
"Good," I said, turning my back on him.
"Audrey, I know you're upset, but...argh! God damn it, you're crazy!"
"Oh you think I'm upset do you?" I asked sarcastically. He just stared at me. "How upset do you think am, huh?"
"Pretty fucking upset, you tried to break my fingers! I kind of need those you know?" he yelled.
"You lied to me!"
"I never lied," he said.
"You sent me to a fucking day spa so that you could go and meet fans with Gene! I found out from Shannon Tweed!"
" For the record, we were doing radio interviews. I thought you'd like the spa thing, you always complain that your back aches. I thought a massage might help!"
"Why didn't you just tell me that you were working?"
"Honest? We're on our honeymoon and I thought you might get mad."
"Oh, well you thought right."
"Okay, I made a huge mistake. But I really wanted you to relax and have a good time."
"By having a stranger touching me?"
"If you came with me, you'd have to had sat by yourself for hours anyway. At least you got a massage the other way," he explained.
I sat down on the bed and shook my head in frustration. "How do you it Bruce? Always. You always, somehow manage to do this!"
He looked at me blankly. "Huh?"
"No matter what it is that you've done, somehow, you manage to make me feel like the person in the wrong. This time I did nothing wrong, but I feel so guilty right now that I could hang myself!"
"You feel guilty?" he asked.
"Yeah," I said, looking at the floor.
"Is it because you almost destroyed my career? Dare I say, jeopardised KISS? It's like Mark St John all over again."
"Give me a look at your damn fingers!" I snapped, standing up so that I could reach his hand. He wore a smart-arsed grin. I studied his face carefully as I squeezed his fingers so tightly that they changed colour. Not a single change of expression. "You're full of shit. There's nothing wrong with your fingers," I said, letting go of his hand and flopping down onto the bed.
"Baby, I'm just messing with you," he smirked as he crawled onto the mattress, making sure I was underneath him.
"Why? Why do you?" I asked, looking up into his dark brown eyes. "Oh no, don't do the puppy dog eyes. Bruce!" I complained, turning my face to the side, as to not fall for his trap. He pulls this face that makes me want to cry. It's pathetically adorable, and works like a charm. He laughed.
"Does Audrey now realise that she over reacted?" he asked, kissing my ear.
"Maybe she does," I replied.
"Is Audrey sorry?"
" I supposed so," I sighed, then laughed. Our eyes met and we both smiled. I felt the need to touch his face, to let my fingertips lightly brush against him. I gently pressed on his bottom lip, showing his teeth. He laughed.
"Having fun there?" he asked, amused by my need to play with his face. I nodded and smiled.
"Yeah, I am," I winked. I pulled his face closer to mine, so that our lips touched. Still, we didn't kiss. Our lips simply touched, so lightly that I barely felt it. It was one of the most intimate moments we shared. I slowly blinked, feeling my eyelashes touch Bruce's skin. It tickled when he blinked too. I could feel him breathe through his nose and mouth. I could feel him smile. Then he kissed me.

The next morning, we had slept in, almost to midday. We hadn't done that in years. At least not together. "I can't believe it," I yawned. "The day's half over."
"We did have a pretty big night," Bruce replied, nuzzling my neck.
"Yeah," I smiled. Then I felt something amazing. "Oh!" I gasped, looking into Bruce's eyes. He sat up, showing his concern.
"What? What? What's wrong?" he panicked.
"Nothing," I giggled. "I just felt the baby move," I smiled.
"You did?" Bruce dove under the blankets, spreading his hands along my belly. I had decent sized "bump" by then. I was at the stage where I was beginning to need maternity clothes. Until I got back home, I wore Bruce's shirts and jackets around.
"Yeah. It was like a bubbly feeling," I smiled, watching him with amusement. He pressed the side of his face gently on my stomach. "What are you doing?" I laughed.
"Listening. Make the baby do it again," he said, concentrating.
"Bruce!" I laughed. "I can't make her do it, she just does!"
He looked up at me and smiled. "She?"
"We're having a girl, I just know it," I told him.
"How do you know?" he asked, moving back so that we were face to face.
"I just know." He smiled and gently pulled my face to his, kissing me softly.
"You'll be a gorgeous mother," He said, smiling.

Italy was beautiful. Everything was so exciting, exotic and romantic. We saw some amazing places and did some amazing things. But my favourite day during our honeymoon, was the one where we spent the entire day in bed. No interruptions, no fights. No work, no phone calls. Nobody but me and Mr Kulick.