Reason to Live

Chapter 48

It was that perfect moment where I knew I was finally falling asleep. I had the whole bed to myself, and I could relax knowing that both Eric and Marie were alright. They were embarrassed as hell, but alright. I still cringe at the thought of Eric breaking his leg while "sleeping". I don't even want to know.

Everything was great until Bruce yelled "Audrey!" I groaned and rolled over, not wanting to be awake. I snuggled into my pillow, while he continued to yell at me from the living room downstairs. "Aud, quick! Help! Audrey get up! It's an emergency!" he screamed. Within a breath I was on my feet, quickly feeling my way along the walls in the dark. I hurried down the stairs, terrified. When I walked into the living room where Bruce was, I couldn't believe what I saw.

"Bruce, you arsehole!" I yelled, reaching for something to throw at him. There was no emergency. Eric Carr's baby woke, that was all. "What the hell was that all about?" I demanded an answer.
"I need help," he begged, awkwardly holding the child.
"You said there was a fucking emergency! You scared the crap out of me, don't you ever do that again!" I growled, turning back for the door.
"No, no don't leave me! It is an emergency, I have no idea," he panicked. I saw the look of worry on his face and shook my head.
"Well, he's a baby, not container of toxic waste," I said, picking at the way he held Mitchell, as far away from himself as possible.
"Don't be so sure," he replied.
Mitchell wept at first, then, in seconds, unleashed a deafening squeal that turned into painful baby cries. "Oh, Bruce!" I complained.
"Make him stop!" he yelled.
"Don't yell!" I said, gently taking the baby from his arms. "Shhh, It's okay," I hushed.
"You really think so?" Bruce asked.
"My god, I was talking to the baby, not you!" I whispered. I calmed both Bruce and the baby down. Something I would learn to be very good at.
"Is he okay? He hates me doesn't he?" Bruce asked, following me to the couch. I had to laugh.
"I don't think he knows what hate is yet," I replied. I re-adjusted the blue blanket wrapped around Mitchell and smiled as he closed his eyes.
" I'm so sorry. Audrey, I suck at this!" Bruce said, sitting next to me. I kissed his cheek.
"See, he's sleeping. Too easy. Not hungry, clean diaper...he's just tired, and he's not the only one, " I said with a sarcastic grin.
"Why didn't he go to sleep then?" Bruce asked, confused.
"Because you actually have to put him to sleep. The poor little thing was left all alone with uncle Brucie," I cooed in a baby tone. I gently rocked Mitchell in my arms while Bruce watched, amazed. I looked over my shoulder at him and laughed. "You are the cutest Bruce. I have never seen you so scared before," I giggled. He glared at me with dark, tired eyes. "C'mon, let's go to bed before my eyes fall out of my head from overtiredness," I said, standing up.

I carefully kneeled to the floor where the baby capsule sat. Without waking him, I gently placed Mitchell in the capsule, making sure he was comfortable. Pushing both hands into the plush carpet, I tried to get back on my feet. Realising that I had an enormous gut in the way, I tried a few other positions, but couldn't seem to stand up. My legs were like jelly and I had a massive boulder weighing me down. Bruce stood there snickering at his struggling, pregnant wife. "Bruce, help me would you?" I snapped. He laughed. "Don't laugh at me!" I whinged.
"Why not? You laughed at me."
"I can't stand up!" I sulked.
"Audrey ,Audrey ,Audrey," he said, shaking his head. He bent down to hug me, and from there, I clung to his shoulders as he stood up, pulling me off the floor. "Who says I can't look after a baby?" he joked.
"I'm not a baby," I said, seriously.
"You're my baby," he smiled, then kissed my forehead.
"Yeah," I sighed.
"I might not be good at caring for a screaming baby, but as long as I look after you, I think we'll be okay," Bruce smiled, reassuringly.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's not much, but it's better than nothing I guess