Guilt

Word Count 346

It felt as though a cold, ice covered, hand had plunged into my chest and gripped my heart. It squeezed, not bothering to be gentle, I didn’t deserve it.

The pain was unbearable. It was more than the stinging frost bite that started to surround the muscle that kept me alive, it was also the knowledge that I had brought this upon myself.

I knew the room I was currently sitting in was very well lit, but I could see nothing but darkness, and I knew that there were sounds all around me, but I didn’t hear them, but most of all I knew that I wasn’t alone, but I couldn’t even stand the thought of seeing someone else.

Tha-Dump The sound of my heart beating was as loud as thunder compared the silence that came before it.

Tha-Dump I could practically feel my organ forcing the cold and unwilling blood through my system. It brought the chill with it, causing me to shiver and shake at the drop in my body temperature.

Why, I asked myself as hand tightened its hold in order to make sure I had not forgotten what I had done. I could have kept walking. I could have let them be. I could feel the ice burrowing into my mind, and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I could only gasp at the now mental and physical pain.

The darkness that surrounded me seemed to become even darker and while before the chill was contained within me, I could slowly feel the air cooling.

With a groan of pain I rolled in a ball on the floor in order to protect myself from the cold. It was a futile attempt but I just had to try anyway.

It wasn’t long before the ice that had been slowly maneuvering though my system started to spread across my skin, encasing me in a tomb built of my own guilt.

That caused the last of my will to dissolve, I couldn’t fight it.