Status: WORKING ON IT

Stories Left Untold

Fifteen

“Where the fuck is my phone?” I yelled searching through the couches.

“Is this it?”

I look up to see Patrick smiling, holding my phone.

I narrow my eyes. “Give it.”

He shook his head. “Nope. Not until you decide to be nicer.”

I snorted. “Nicer? To who? You?”

“Ok fine. Have it your way.” And with that, he put my phone in his pants.

My jaw dropped. “I cannot believe you. I need to go get my brother at the airport and you are going to make me late.”

He grabbed his shoes and keys off the bar. “I’ll go with you. I need to meet your family anyways since I am married to you.”

I rolled my eyes. “We are not married.”

“The marriage license seems to say so. So are you coming or not?”

I had no choice but to follow him out to his rental. He opened my car door for me.

“My lady.”

I rolled my eyes and got in. This was going to be a long ride.

When we arrived at the airport, I rushed to get out of the car and away from Patrick. A few minutes later, I saw him come up beside me.

“So, um, your phone has been ringing.”

I rolled my eyes. “Ever think to fish it out of your pants and answer it?”

“Well, I was hoping you would get fed up and go hunting for it.”

I stopped and slapped him. “You are a fucking pervert.”

He rubbed his cheek. “What the fuck. I was joking. Anger problems much?”

I look around for Matthew. “Can I please have my phone? I need to see if my brother has landed.”

He reached into his back pocket and gave me my phone. I gave him a skeptical look.

“I took it out of my pants before we got into the car.” He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes and dialed my brother’s number.

“I’m behind you and who is the guy that is with you?”

I turned around, ran and jumped into my brother’s arms.

When he sat me down, I slapped his arm.

“Asshole. I told you not to come to Vegas.”

“Sis you know I need to save my relationship with Kim. I love her. Now who is the guy?”

Patrick pushed his hand in between us. “Hi I’m Patrick, Katey’s-“

“My new friend from Chicago.” I gave Patrick a look.

Matt laughed. “Good cause for a second I thought you finally decided to get a boyfriend.”

Patrick laughed and I rolled my eyes. “You know you will be the only man I ever need little brother. Now let’s get you back to the hotel so all hell can ensue.”

As the boys talked sports on the drive back, I texted Kim.

Are you ready to deal with Matt? Cause we are five minutes away.

Yeah, I suppose. Just send him into my room.


I sighed and heard Patrick say my name.

“What the hell are you two talking about?”

Matt turned around. “Patrick wanted to know you better, so I am telling him some stories.”

I groaned. “Please no embarrassing shit.”

Patrick laughed. “Oh yeah. He definitely just told me about your graduation party.”

“Matthew James. I swear to god I will kick your ass.”

They both laughed as we pulled into a parking spot and got out. The walk up to the suite could not be fast enough.

After I showed Matt where Kim was, I settled onto the couch with a glass of wine.

“Drinking again?” Patrick said as he sat beside me.

“Do you ever go away seriously?”

He put his feet on the table and ignored me. “Matt and I seemed to get along well.”

“Do not get used to it.”

“So, what are you going to do with the rest of your day?”

I looked at him. “Try to ignore you?”

He rolled his eyes. “Come on, let’s go get something to eat, go gamble, or go to the bar!”

“I don’t gamble, and drinking is what got us into this mess.”

“So food it is!” He grabbed my hand and dragged me off the couch and out the door.

A few minutes later, we were sitting in a booth at a local diner. I decided to flip the ‘getting to know you’ game around.

“So Patrick. Tell me some things about you.”

He smiled. “You are warming up to me. I like it.”

I rolled my eyes. “Okay, tell me something other than that fact than you are a cocky son of a bitch.”

He laughed. “Fine. I am Patrick Kane, grew up in Buffalo, have three sisters, and yes, I am a junior.”

“What else?”

“I play hockey for the Chicago Blackhawks and like to have fun.”

“Well that’s obvious shit.”

He laughed. “Why so interested? I thought you hated me.”

“Why are you so interested to know about me?”

He tapped his fingers on the table. “Why not? I mean, something attracted me to you last night to make me marry you. I’m just trying to figure it out.”

“You were drunk, I was drunk. People make stupid mistakes while drunk.”

“Is it that hard to think I might not be a bad guy?”

I sat there and stared at him for a minute. “Well, no. I guess not.”

He leaned forward. “Then why all the resentment?”

I sighed. “I don’t know. I just never needed a man in my life. Our mom died when we were 15 and dad disappeared soon after. I supported myself and my brother since then. Every guy I have dated has either wanted me to ignore my brother or want all my time. I couldn’t do it. Then when I got this job, most guys only want to date me to get close to the team. So to be happy, I have realized I don’t need a guy in my life.”

“Ever think that all guys aren’t the same?”

I rolled my eyes. “Probably so. But I don’t need one.”

“What about a family? Did you ever think of having one?”

“No, well yeah. I mean, I’m sure everyone has. I’m just not ready to think that far ahead yet.”

“But you’re what, 25, 26? Shouldn’t you be worrying about it?”

I narrowed my eyes and got up. “And this is why I don’t think you are different from anyone else.”

I started to walk back to the hotel when Patrick caught up to me and grabbed my arm.

“Look, I didn’t mean it in a bad way. Shit, sometimes I don’t know what’s coming out of my mouth.”

“Ya think? From what I can tell, you are a conceited son of a bitch who thinks everything is a joke. And I’m over it.” I pulled my arm out of his grasp and kept walking.

“You know what. I’m tired of your bitchiness. But I cannot seem to get enough of it.” He grabbed me, turned me around and kissed me.

The feelings going through my body at that moment were ones I never felt before. He was making me all tingly and… girly.

When we finally parted, he just smiled at me as I touched my lips.

“What was that for?”

“To shut you up. Besides, don’t act like you didn’t like it.”

I rolled my eyes. “Keep dreaming ice boy.”

“Ice boy? You’ve called me that before.”

I stared at him. “What?”

“Yeah, last night….” His eyes lit up. “Hell yeah! My memory’s coming back!”