Status: Finished

So Close

Ch. 1 Krista's P.O.V.

Why did it have to rain today? Normally I don’t mind the rain, but at the moment it was a nuisance. I could hear the thunder in the distance, but all I could think about was his call. I don’t know why. From the sound of his voice I could tell something was going on. After that call I was out the door of my small apartment.

I reached my blue Chevy and was on my way to Travis’ ranch halfway across town. Slowly I went from the normal streets to the highway. I couldn’t get his voice out of my head when he said those four words everyone dreads, “We need to talk.” Those words could have so many meanings and I couldn’t rest till I knew that it wasn’t something bad. The rain started pouring and you could hear the thunder. Still as other cars pulled over to stop, I continued down the highway.

I thought everything had been fine between us. I mean sure we had our struggles but didn’t every couple. To think we were just a few weeks away from a whole year together. The rain seemed to follow my emotions as it started to pour vigorously.

My car was the only one now on the highway and I was finally near my exit. I turned through more small streets and lastly onto the old road that lead to his ranch. As the trees and flower beds passed I thought of all the hikes and picnics we had shared there.

The rain had subsided a little, but the thunder and lightning seemed to only grow fiercer in its absence. I started to worry a bit, though that thought didn’t go very far. Just then my phone started playing, Back at One by Brian McKnight. I was so startled my car swerved and I eventually got control back of the steering wheel before it was too late. Then against my better judgment I still answered the call.

“Krista, where are you? You didn’t answer your home phone?” Travis asked.

“I’m not too far from our house actually.” I replied.

“YOU’RE DRIVING IN THIS WEATHER! KRISTA, HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? THIS WEATHER IS TOO DANGEROUS FOR YOU TO BE DRIVING IN.”He yelled. Good old Travis always one to slightly over react. Although, he really wasn’t the only one who over reacted half of the time, we both did.

“Well, it actually didn’t start to rain until I got on the high way.” I replied innocently.

“That doesn’t matter. You should have pulled over and waited it out.” He weakly argued. I could hear the anger dimmed in his voice as it became worried.

“I COULDN’T TRAVIS! You said you needed to talk to me.” I said my voice weakening.

Just then the thunder roared with such force I had to hold back a scream. Then there was a sudden flash of light and the sound of snapping wood. My cell left my hand as the sound of crushing wood enveloped me. I could hear someone screaming so terrified. Then I realized I was the one screaming. Soon after, I faded into the welcoming darkness.