Status: Finished

So Close

Ch. 2 Travis's P.O.V.

“KRIS! KRIS! KRISTA, PLEASE ANSWER ME!” I shouted into the phone.

All I heard was silence. I couldn’t tell what was worse, her spine-chilling screams or the silence that now lingered. Quickly I dialed my cell, grabbed my coat, and was out the door. As the 911 operator assured me help would me there shortly I drove out of my driveway. I just hoped it wasn’t too late. I was slowly going down the road searching for her car. I hadn’t traveled more than five minutes from my home when I saw it.

A tree lay on top of its now dented passenger door, and the car turned over lying on its driver’s side. Slowly I approached the car as I heard sirens in the distance. He arm hanging outside the windshield. Krista’s whole body lay motionless as it was impossible to tell if she was even breathing.

The rain stopped as soon as the ambulance arrived. They managed to remove her and rushed her to the hospital. I felt my heart breaking as I saw them carry away her now broken body. I followed them to the hospital and into the emergency room. I didn’t leave her side until they forced me to wait in the waiting room. I could only wait for the doctor’s verdict. I paced for what felt like hours, but eventually I reluctantly sat down. I did all I could think to do now, I called her brother, Marc.

“How is she? What happened?” Marc questioned when he arrived half an hour later.

“They haven’t told me anything besides that she’s stable at the moment. She was driving to my house when the storm hit. You know your sister, she’s stubborn. She wouldn’t stop or pull over because she wanted to know what I wanted to talk to her about.” I paused as I felt the tears flowing freely form my eyes, “I think she was afraid I wanted to break up with her.”

“That sounds like her alright. She’s a fighter though, Travis. I’m sure she’ll be fine. What was it you wanted to talk to her about if you weren’t going to break up with her?” he inquired.

“I wanted to ask her to move in with me. I already lover her so much but I was afraid it was too soon to ask for her. I was thinking I was would ask her for her hand on New Years, you know her favorite holiday.” I murmured.

“I’m sorry. I’m………” he was cut off by a white coat.

“Who is here for Krista Mayer?” the white coat asked.

“We are.” Marc and I replied

“I’m Dr.Otani. I’m sorry, it seems she has slipped into a coma and her heart is very weak at the moment.” Dr. Otani informed us.

“What are the chances of her waking up from the coma?” I asked.

“We’re not certain of that yet. It all depends on how her surgery goes later.”
He concluded

“Surgery?” Marc asked.

“Yes, as I said before her heart is very weak and she will need a heart operation. It’s her only hope but the surgery has a 50/50 chance.” He said. I noticed how his voice had been constantly monotone.

“When’s the surgery?” I finally asked

“It will be tomorrow evening, and then a 24 hour waiting period.” He said then left without another word.

I didn’t leave the hospital, but I was afraid to go to her room once she was settled. The most I could manage was about five minutes in her room at a time. I couldn’t stand to see her that was. I forced myself to stay with her though when it was a few hours till her surgery.

Then it was time for her to go as I kissed her and said see you soon. Later that night I was told she didn’t survive the surgery, but she felt no pain when it happened. I drove towards the ranch and I burned the tree that took her from me.

She had never woken up from the coma, and I cried as I knew she would never know how much I loved her. I would never have answers to my questions. Most of all I would never see her smile, hear her laugh, or hold her in my arms again.

I couldn’t face anyone for a while. People would come and go to leave things since I wouldn’t answer the door. I let my answering machine take all calls. One day I got a call from the jewelry store. Krista’s engagement ring had arrived and I could go pick it up.

Marc went with me to go get a few days later. Then two days after that was her funeral. As I stood side by side with her family I couldn’t stop thinking that it was all a lie. That tomorrow she would pull up in her blue Chevy and none of this would have ever happened. Then people started to go up and say their final goodbye and leave.

I was the last one there with Marc waiting for me. I kissed her forehead and whispered I love you one final time. I took the ring out of my pocket and placed it on her finger.

I started to walk away then turned back to the casket and said, “Happy one year anniversary love.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a sad ending. I hope you enjoyed reading.