Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

13

He stood in the Huston air port in nothing more than a pair of flip flops, ridiculous pants Eli had lent him and a sweater. He didn’t have any of his own cloths to wear since Eli had Roy, one of Jake’s costume designers, take all of his luggage. Everything went, including his backpack, could go on a earlier flight. Leaving Jake with nothing but the boxer briefs he’d gone to bed in and the sweater he’d hung on the chair in the corner instead of dropping in his open suitcase. He didn’t even have his own shoes!

“Whoa.” Spinning at the word he frowned at Rayne standing behind him with clenched lips. “Nice.” Pointing he glared from behind his DIOR borrowed sunglasses. One of the make-up ladies was nice enough to lend them to him. So he wouldn’t get spotted in the ridiculous cut off plaid pajama pants bottoms.

He couldn’t even fathom why someone would destroy a perfectly good pair of plaid pajama pants. It was a crime against fashion, nature, and everything that told him he had to wear them or walk around in his boxer briefs.

He felt quite ridiculous.

“Don’t even.” He warned slowly. “Eli sent all my stuff to Hawaii already.” He breathed an irritated sigh and took in her appearance.

She stood in clinging black skinny jean that hugged the curves of her hips and thigh, hi-top brightly colored DC shoes in neon colors and white leather, a jewel blue shirt with a melting ice cream and popsicle with horrified looks on their dessert bodies and a bright yellow sun smiling brightly over them while the ice cream cone said “You Monster!”. Her hair was in a messy bun on the nape of her neck long pieces hanging in her face as knock of Ray Bands with hot pink edges covered her turquoise colored eyes.

“That blows.” She stated simply. Humming Jake nodded looked away from her.

“Nice shirt.” He pointed.

“I know! Right! I love it.” She beamed, rubbing her hands over her body. Jake shook his head lightly.

In all honestly he wasn’t sure how she was going to pan out as an actress. He hadn’t seen her act. Eli had set up a meeting with her to read but Jake didn’t make it in time due to a swarm of media outside his house wondering who the woman he was with on the beach was the day before. So, he’d locked himself in his house and called Eli faking an illness. He’d blamed cheap Indian food to which Eli told him ‘never go for Indian food again’ and if he ever decided to munch down on spicy Indian food again ‘always go for the cheap stuff because there’s no point in paying good money for something that’s going to come out his the same way as the cheap stuff at the same rate of speed’. To which he bit back how racist the comment was and simply agreed to get off the phone.

“So…” She whispered eyeing his plaid shorts. Sighing he pinched the bridge of his nose at the words. “What’cha been up to?” She pressed childishly at while rocking on the spot. She gripped the straps of her OGIO traveling bag and pursed her lips to the side in an awkward smile at him.

Jake smiled at her gently.

“I’ve been dealing with Eli.” He stated simply. Rayne tipped her head to the side at his simple words. “This is his first major picture and he’s loosing his mind trying to make it perfect.”

“Sometimes if you try to hard you don’t get the quality you want but if you relax and enjoy your time doing it, it comes out more amazing that you would’ve ever thought.” Rayne stated walking past him. Jake spun watching her sit down in one of the plastic seats.

Following he sat down next to her.

“I guess.” He mused. “How’s your hip?” He pressed, eyeing her right hip lightly.

“Fine.” She smiled over at him. Nodding he began fiddling with the end of his sweater sleeves. “But I fucked my shoulder up.” She giggled at him. Jake frowned at her. “Freestone.” She mused gently.

Jake simply looked around confused. To him Freestone was something to do with freeing a pet rock from little kids’ older siblings. It made no sense to him, but to her or anyone in the moto world knew exactly what it was. Freestone was a large race in Texas that happened right after Hangtown which was the official start of motocross season. And Rayne was giving up going to High Point, Thunder Valley, and every other race that was going to happen during the race season of 2010 to work on Eli’s master piece.

“What’s Freestone?” Jake whispered confused. Rayne’s head snapped up to him startled by his words.

She’d assumed everyone around her, because prior to this moment in her life everyone around her did know what happened in the world of extreme sports- mainly motocross. It surprised her that he didn’t know what she was talking about. It was motocross, how could he not know about it? Didn’t guy like engines, motorcycles, dirt, going fast, and mixing them all together?

“It’s the second race of this motocross season.” She whispered slowly. Jake nodded lightly.

“So how’d you mess up your shoulder?” He pried. She was interesting and wanted to know more about her.

“Dug in to much on a corner and ate shit. First thing that hit was the good ol’ shoulder.” Rayne patted her left shoulder gently. “It’s still a little sore.” She giggled as Jake reached over rubbing it out of reflex. “Why are you touching me?” Jake shrugged slowly.

“I don’t even know what I’m wearing so,” Shrugging dramatically he laughed at her wide, tight lips smile. “I couldn’t tell you want I’m doing.”

“Ah. Nice save.”

The two laughed at the moment while glancing away from each other around the terminal at people. Rayne groaned at a man walking by in tie-dye pants, a jean shirt and a leather vest. Patting Jake’s thigh she pointed to the man. His face was priceless as he slowly lifted his glasses to see the man more clearly. Breathing outwardly in a gentle groan he looked away from the painful sight. Sure he wasn’t much better at the moment but clearly that man had picked his own outfit.

“Ooo!” She gasped at the sight just beyond the horridly dressed man. Jake jumped at her sudden sound. “Starbucks!” She hopped out of her seat hurriedly bouncing towards the tiny shop for caffeine she clearly didn’t need.

Shaking his head Jake let his eyes wander around the terminal and airport around them. Looking for other dressed as poorly as he was, dressed as awkwardly of their own accord. A lot of people actually had the most mismatched outfits he’d ever seen before.

Rayne bought her drink plus a few can of Rockstar out of their fridge to hold her over in the long flight. Everyone was going to learn real quick: Rayne Knightly + caffeine = No good for many people and that she needs a handler. That plus small cramped spaces with no where to hide would equal headaches for all.

Bouncing out of the store she sucked on the straw of her iced caramel macchiato. Jake looked so lost, so out of place. If he were in a ‘Where’s Waldo’ book they’d hide Waldo behind him to distract people from finding the sneaky little prick. People would approach the puzzle like: Look at that freak? Now where’s that Waldo prick? Defiantly the magicians slight of hand the Waldo bastards always seemed to have, yet Jake was applying it effortlessly. No noticed who he was, they noticed him - oh hell yeah they noticed him who wouldn’t – they more or less didn’t recognize him. Why would one of Hollywood’s rising stars where an outfit that could cause blind men to flinch? He wouldn’t, or so they’d assume.

Jake Gyllenhaal was a ninja Rayne decided as she began meandering over to him. The Waldo bastards would never be able to hide that prick as well as Jake hide in plain view of a crowded, bustling airport the size of a small city.

Jake glanced up hearing a soft mutter of ‘Waldo bastards.’ Rayne was sitting down next to him with a frown etched on her face.

“What’re you mumbling about Waldo?” Rayne’s head jerked in his direction with wide eyes. “You said something about Waldo bastards.” He pointed out trying to hide his smile.

“Oh, random thoughts. They happen a ton.” She nodded weakly. Humming Jake watched her. “Coffee.” She smiled holding it up to him. Laughing and shaking his head he went back to people watching.

Rayne followed suit, only with the massive metaphorical steel balls she seemed to have and her lack of tact she pointed to the people she found. They whispered and hushed their comments to each other about the people around them. Others didn’t seem to notice the on lookers making fun of them, laughing at their outfits or the awkward ways they moved to look suave

“You’re a bitch.” Rayne glanced two her other side at Big Cat sitting down. “Just abandon me.” Jake waved at him confused. “Nice pants.” He grumbled dryly Sighing Jake nodded with tight lips

“Their not his some crazy stole his close so he’s borrowing them from another” Rayne pointed out “Besides, Big Cat,” Jake frowned at that name. He had no idea who the guy was but clearly Rayne knew him. “It’s not my fault a lady pointed you out to security and said you not only looked like a terrorist but were supposedly acting like one too.” She used finger quote around the woman’s possible words.

“She said I had a bomb because I pulled out my iPod which looked like a detonator to her and tattoos are the sign of the devil.” Jake looked at the man’s tattoos, none were even dark and dangerous looking. They were bright colorful tattoos even the skulls looked a little cheerful with all the colors and designs on them.

“Not my problem.” Rayne shrugged. Jake glanced between the two.

“I was detained and strip searched thoroughly. I’m scarred for life.” Big Cat growled. Jake grimaced at the idea. “Yeah. Yeah.” Big Cat pointed at the awkwardly dressed actor. “Yeah, my life is fucked now.” Rayne giggled at him.

“Well it was either, A- help you and be detained and strip searched with you, or B- walk away and wish you the best of luck and pray to god you come out alive. No offense, I saw all the guys taking you away. I didn’t want to be strip searched thoroughly by any of those huge, scary perverts. I was looking out for myself, besides,” Patting his shoulder She leaned towards Jake as Big Cat’s stone cold stare. “You’re a big boy, and if they took you away for ever Potato Heads around the tattoos are just different and less dry, cold, sarcastic and awkward parts of you.”

“Meaning a completely different person that has similar facial features?” Jake cut in Spinning to face him Rayne pointed with a wide smile.

“Exactly! I have Potato Head to replace you!” Big Cat rolled his eyes.

“And who would replace Derek?” Big Cat sighed using his brother’s real name. Rayne pursed her lips having to remember Potato Heads real name.

“Oh!” She stated realizing what he was talking about. “um…” Letting her eyes wander around the terminal she crossed her legs. “Damn it…” She whispered.

“Stumped ya.” Big Cat mumbled glanced away. His whole body froze as his eyes shifted the the object. “You let her get coffee?” Big Cat gasped jumping out of his seat. “Oh my ass.” He groaned placing a hand on his lower back as Rayne pointed laughing. “I am not, I repeat, am not for the life of me sitting next to you!” He pointed at the small woman sipping away on her coffee.

“What’s wrong with coffee, it’s seven am.” Jake stated glancing down at Rayne. Big Cat groaned.

“Yeah and she had a Red Bull Rockstar mix this morning at five for the ride over here cause I couldn’t stop her…” Sighing Big Cat shook his head at the idea and Rayne’s proud beaming grin. “Now coffee?” He question.

As a response Rayne stuck the green straw in her mouth sucking on her drink.

“Fuck it.” Big Cat through his hands up in the air. “I’m not even sitting next to you now. Have fun.” He breathed as Jake. “You think she’s talkative and hyper now, you’re going to be banging your head on the window two hours into this eight hour flight. Have a nice time.” With that Big Cat walked away leaving Jake fumbling for words.

“He’s right.” Rayne stated. “Headphone?” She changed the subject quickly. Jake took it from her tentatively and placed it in his ear. He smiled at the music as Rayne held up her iPod. “Wanna play a game?” She asked hopefully. Jake leaned over her shoulder to see what she was talking about. On her iPod touch she had a few games. “I’ll play you chess or mahjong.” Jake looked at her a bit startled, she didn’t seem the type to play those games. Well, atleast stereotypically in his mind.

“Um…I don’t know how to play mahjong so chess it is.” Jake smiled. Nodding Rayne opened a new game picking two players. “I wanna be black.” He stated.

“That means I move first.” She pointed out looking at the pieces.

“Exactly.” Jake smiled. “I’m going to see what you got and match you.”

“Good luck.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. It means alot. Thank you again.