Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

20

“Okay.” Eli smiled after the first scene they’d read. It was their first meeting as characters. Rayne had accidently kicked Jake in the chest because he’s reaction time was slower than hers. Rayne’s years of extreme sports gave her quicker reflexes than his.

Jake sat on the floor rubbing his chest. He’d ignored the throb in his chest for thirty minutes and now he was examining it. Amazement found him as he realized he didn’t have a hole in his chest. He’d been sure she’d pushed her foot through his chest with those strong, well sculpted thighs of hers.

“Here.” Rayne stated quickly unbuttoning Jake’s tan button up. “Let me see.” She whispered pulling it open. “I’m sorry.” She grimaced at the sight of the forming bruise. Jake had frozen the second she’d begun unbuttoning his shirt. His mind had gone in a whole new direction. “I didn’t mean to actually kick you.” She whispered touching his chest.

Gasping at her fingers he let out a soft laugh.

“Does that hurt?”

“Cold.” He whispered. Her fingers were like ice.

“Sorry.” She smiled sheepishly touching the bruise. Jake groaned when she touched one spot. “It’ll be a little tender for a few days.” She whispered. “The colors not that dark so it should be gone in three to four days but it might still hurt after that.”

“Thanks” Jake mumbled. Suddenly he felt like a little girl. Getting kicked in the chest by a woman who was half his size and lifted twice his weight, probably, made it feel like his chest had caved in and he was dying. That in turned made him feel weak, out of shape, and like a little girl for wanting to cradle his chest and curl into a small ball. It’d taken everything in him after it’d happened not to. The upside was, he felt no need to cry so he wasn’t that much of a little girl. Atleast in his mind, in Rayne’s he was probably the biggest baby to ever step foot on the earth.

Rayne on the contrary didn’t. Many of her friends couldn’t even take a simple punch to the arm when they deserved it with out bitching, let alone a kick to the chest. Her Jake was, never taken a hit or kick from her with out so much as a word but lightly rubbing the spot. She found the fact attractive. Most men wouldn’t deal with her and here he was and taking the accidental beating like a man. Granted he was working so he couldn’t just go home and not deal with her… could he?

“Sorry.” She whispered against sheepishly.

“It’s okay.” He laughed gently standing up. Rayne stood up as well. “Let’s get this next one done with so we can get out of here.” Nodding Rayne giggled.

Taking their scripts for Eli they began reading them to figure out where they were. Jake sat down on the ground and adjusted himself into a comfortable position as Rayne knelt next to him, he leaned towards her as they began acting through the scene.

“What’s that one?” Jake asked gently pointing to nothing. Rayne turned her head lifting her hands as she pretended to have something land in it.

“The Kriro. The bird of the morning.” She smiled over her shoulder at him. “This is the bird of passion, of the heart.” She smiled lowering her hand, still pretending a bird was on it. It was suppose to be a big colorful bird. “We call it the Lalu. Our word for your word love.”

“So its like our dove?” he questioned reaching out for the bird only to flinch away as it ‘flew away unexpectedly.’ “It’s huge.” He swallowed as they both ‘watched it fly to a near by branch.’

“Love is huge, when it’s true.” She whispered looking over her shoulder at him with small smile. Jake smiled back at her just as softly, the two of them just staring at each other, gauging the others reaction.

“Love is a beautiful thing.” Jake whispered. Rayne’s smile grew as her gaze was cast downward before out at where the ‘bird’ was.

“The Lalu is our most beautiful creature. It’s also our rarest.” Glancing over her shoulder she glanced at Jake. “You should be honored it’s graced its presence to a stranger such as yourself.” She stated sharply. “It’s odd that it has. It rarely shows its self to our people.”

“Why?” Jake frowned still watching Rayne. He took in her profile, her sculpted chin, her thin yet oddly plumped lips, her small nose, and the way her massively teased hair framed her face. She was beautiful.

“It’s said,” Rayne shifted back into a sitting position bringing her knees of to her chest, one hand rubbing her right one as it ached. “the Lalu knows true love when it sees it. Those who have seen it have been confusing their love for another and are the few still together through all the troubles through the tribe or themselves.” Rayne glanced back at him with a weak smile. “Your love to that Crizo must be true.” Jake frowned.

“Crizo? You haven’t taught me that one.” He whispered.

“Witch.” Rayne stood up walking away leaving him sitting on the floor. “Ah my knee hurts.” She grumbled rubbing it while holding the paper back to Eli.

“There’s more, flip it over.” Rayne did as told. Jake laughing at her confused expression as she slowly rolled the paper over.

“Thanks for telling me in advance.” She grumbled. “Jerk.” Jake rolled his eyes as Rayne stood tall stretching. Jake’s eyes lingered on the muscles of her torso extending elegantly.

“No need to finish. We’ve got what we need.” Eli breathed. The connection between Jake and Rayne was undeniable. The two looked at him startled. “On another note, tonight we’re having a dinner for the whole crew. Black tie.” Eli added before rushing them out of the room.

“Dude!” Rayne groaned adjusting her top once more. “This is gonna blow.” She breathed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading, commenting, & subscribing.