Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

25

“Told you.” Rayne sang from her bed as she watched television, not even looking up as the door swung open. Jake sat up, hands still behind his head and took note that Big Cat was in fact walking in with food.

“Would you look at that…” Jake mused thoughtfully.

“I could say the same thing.” Big Cat laughed. “Only I’d add on, you’re alive. It’s a miracle.” He laughed placing down the bag. “You already went? Thanks for letting me know.” He huffed seeing the bag from their trip in the trash.

Rayne snatched the bag pulling it open and peering inside at what was inside the bag. Humming she pulled out the same thing Jake had ordered and held it back to him. Taking it slowly he rolled it over unsure if he could eat other one as he watched Rayne hold out a salad container muttering something about Big Cat being a ‘veggie munching fruit’. Jake wasn’t too sure.

“You’re going to eat that?” Jake asked watching her bite into a hamburger herself.

“Hell yeah I’m going to eat it. I’m fat as fuck!” She laughed once she’d swallowed. “I get kicked out of all you can eat buffets I’m so fat.” She smiled over her shoulder at him, dramatically taking a big bite out of it for him to prove her point. “Just ask him.” With a mouthful of food she pointed at Big Cat eating his salad slowly.

“No comment and I plead the fifth.” Big Cat grumbled monotonously. “Oh, by the way if your choosing, willingly, to hang out with tubby over there.” Rayne giggled glancing between the two. “You’re going to want to learn those two phrases with dedication and no emotion because you will have to say them a lot.” Jake laughed.

“Are there people who don’t willingly hang out with her?” Jake laughed nudging Rayne with his leg and unwrapping his burger feeling his stomach grumble with hunger, how he wasn’t sure.

“Yup.”

“Bullshit!” She laughed at him. “And don’t say you’re one of them that’s Potato’s fault if you don’t wanna hang out with me and your own. You’re just over dramatic and, and emotionally over charged.” She stated sternly. Jake laughed at her words and Big Cat’s scowl.

“Tanny T., Aron, Michael R, oh and Tommy. You’re mom pays him to hang out with you.”

“Tanny love me, Aron is hoping to get laid which is never and I do mean never going to happen, Michael only hangs out because of Aron’s delusions, and Tommy…” Licking her lips she waved her index finger around slowly. “Okay, I’ll give you Tommy, maybe, he does like doing stupid things with me. Even if Mom didn’t pay him he’d still be on board for my half baked and sketchy ideas.”

“Some guys paid to hang out with you?” Jake asked concerned.

“I’m the only girl in my family,” Rayne sat up facing him. “So my mom hired someone that understands crazy people and knows how to control them so she figured I’d need a babysitter to stop me from following in a few of my brother’s footsteps.”

“Despite the fact they use to get all their crazy ideas from her and now she’s big enough to not simply share them but par-take in them.” Big Cat cut in. “I’m going to bed and not telling you what happened after you left.”

“Wait something happened?” Jake and Rayne asked concerned. Big Cat nodded. “What?” They looked at each other a bit surprised before back at Big Cat.

“No. I’m going to bed.” Big Cat left with out another word.

“You deaf, depressing prick!” Rayne yelled, laughing at the closed door. Jake laughed pulling her back towards him.

“You’re mean to him.” He pointed out.

“Who said I was nice to begin with?” She teased looking up at him. Jake rolled his eyes and shook his head not sure what to say to that. “Besides I treat you the same way. I treat everyone the same way. No special treatment from the special child here.” She teased pinching his cheeks. Jake began nipping at her fingers playfully.

“Still.” Licking his lips he picked up the remote changing the channel.