Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

29

Jake stretched a towel out on the sand and sat down as Rayne stood a few feet away from him in nothing more than a white bikini, her long hair pulled up into a messy bun on the nape of her neck and a pair of large white framed sunglasses over her eyes. She placed her hands in her hair messing with her bun as Jake’s eyes scanned her body. The white of the bikini brought out ever line, every curve, and every inch of her being like a spot light was shining on it.

Rayne barely took notice of his wandering eyes as she scanned the waves rolling and crashing before her. Looking around she smiled down at him as he licked his lips nervously.

“You just gonna sit on the beach all day long?” Rayne asked still messing with her hair idly.

“Probably.” Jake laughed laying back and putting his hands behind his head. “Make sure you come out alive. I don’t think I could handle Eli if you didn’t.” Rayne laughed walking over to him and sitting on his chest. Grunting he peeled both eyes open to look at her.

“You’re more worried about Eli and not Big Cat?” She asked. Her fingers absentmindedly began to play with the hair on his chest. Jake simply smirked.

“No.” Rayne’s head tipped sideways. “Eli would cry, and destroy things over the loss and Big Cat would shrug and say something like…” Pausing he wracked his brain for a Big Cat like statement. “Eh, we’re better off with ow!” He laughed rubbing the spot she’d smacked him at. “It’s true.” He laughed pushing her lightly. “That hurt.” Pouting he rubbed his chest as she giggled at him.

“You wouldn’t be sad if I never came back?” She gasped smacking him again, this time playfully.

“I never said that! You asked me if I would be more afraid ow! Stop hitting me!” Tossing a handful of sand at her he laughed as she pushed him into the sand roughly. “I would miss you I’m just saying Big Cat probably wouldn’t….” Rolling them over he laughed at her pinned in the sand below him. “Shouldn’t you be surfing?”

“Shouldn’t you be…” Jake threw sand at her as she began to mimic him. Coughing she pushed at him trying to wiggle free or possibly flip them over. Jake being twice her size and having more muscle to weigh him down kept her pinned under him as he watched her amused.

Pouting she sniffled up at him, still wiggling to get free. She wasn’t sure what to do or how to get free, she was used to getting free in no time but Jake was stronger.

“I just wanna surf.” She pouted. Laughing Jake rolled off her laughing as she jumped up and stared at him.

He wasn’t surprised when she sat on him again. He simply laughed at her.

“You win this round Gyllenhaal.” Huffing she got up, grabbed her surf board, and headed for the waves.

Pushing himself up on his elbows he watched her amused. Shaking his head he laid back down in the warm sun. This was a good way to spend his time in Hawaii.

“Do what?” Rayne asked confused as they stood in Jake’s hotel room later that night.

Both of them had earned a new coax of color to their skin, though Jake had walked away injury free and Rayne would wake up the next morning with brand new scabs along her right shoulder, hip, and thigh. The two had also developed quite the friendship. Rayne would go surf for a while and on occasion the two threw sand at each other while they talked to each.

Jake laughed at her horror struck face.

“Let’s start with the meeting scene, please don’t kick me in the chest too hard.” He laughed hands raised at her concerned for his safety.

Rayne smiled at him and sagged her shoulders.

“Aw, but that takes the fun out of my day!” she teased. “Don’t worry. If you can fake a fall I can fake a kick.” Jake nodded at her.

Rayne climbed up on the nightstand jumping on the item mounted to the wall and floating just above the floor. She smiled at him as the lamp poked out from between her legs. Jake snorted at her.

“Shut up!” she squeaked. “I’m in a tree.” She giggled.

“That tree’s very blinding between your knees. I think it gives you away.” Jake smiled.

“Shut up before I kick you!” Teasing she jumped on the nightstand a bit more, testing its stability. Who knew how many times they were going to do this scene.

“You ready lamp hugger.” Rayne glared at Jake lightly.

“I’m going to really kick you.” She teased lightly at him.

The two began rehearsing, though more snide and sarcastic comments were shot at one another between their readings. Jake laughed as she coughed something at him while he was mid line but tried to push through it.

Four hours later they were no further.

“We’re never going to be able to do this on camera if we can’t do it here.” Jake groaned flopping down onto the bed. Rubbing his face he laughed gently at the idea of having to do this for real in front of camera.

“Sure we will.” Rayne stated sitting on the nightstand still, hunched to the side to avoid the lamp. “This is just practice, practice never has to be good. I mean, you could have a knock out practice then totally flop when it matters. You never wanna take a practice run too seriously other wise you over work yourself. Besides it’s a practice neither one of us is taking this seriously.” She mused pulling her foot to her face as she examined the cuts on her feet from surfing pipe line. She began picking tiny pieces of sand grains and possibly coral from the healing wounds.

“I swear.” Jake groaned, chuckling as he paused. “You’re the strangest human being I’ve ever met. One moment your slamming your face into the cement and laughing while swearing like a sailor, the next your all dolled up and sophisticated, then you’re a dirty, beat up and stating wisdom a bunch of old folks couldn’t even give me.” Rayne giggled

“You hit your head as many times as I have things get jumbled.” Pausing she looked around the room. “By the way who are you?” She asked blankly watching him with wide eyes. Jake slowly sat up with a small frown. Smiling she went back to her foot with out another word.

“I hate you.” He laughed still rubbing his face as laid back down stretching out on his bed.

“You totally bought that.” She chuckled watching him closely through the top of her lids. “Hook line and sucker.”

“Shut up.” Rayne jumped onto him pushing him into the bed. “God you’re like a child.”

“And you’re any better?” She teased bouncing on him. “Let’s go get something to eat.” Jake agreed to that and got up following her out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading it means alot.
I made this one a little longer since it's been a while since the last update.
Comment and let me know what you think. Thanks! :]