Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

32

“Ugh.” Rayne stuck her tongue out as they moved back to Hollywood for a few months so they would do press on the half finished film. She still didn’t think she could actress; Jake was telling her other wise and causing her to question her feeling and views on life and love.

“What now?” Jake mused, his nose buried in a book. Rayne had taken notice to how often he read, it was almost as often as he worked out. “You groaned.” He pointed out looking up at her. She was in the seat in front of him looking back at him.

“I hate interviews. They treat me like I’m retarded!” Rayne huffed, crossing her arms over the seat of the van.

“Maybe, because you are.” Kristin shot from next to Jake.

Rayne glared at the woman for two reasons, one she was an evil human being Rayne wished she could run over and two because she was clinging to Jake for dear life. Rayne had be come protective of the full grown man nine to ten years her senior. He made her nervous, her palms sweat as if she were about to do a crazy stunt she’d never tried before, and her heart to beat faster than anything. He gave her an adrenaline high just by being near her, or smiling at her from across a large room.

“Right.” Rayne drew the word out, turning away from the two. “That’s why I can do basic math and you can’t.” Putting her hands behind her head she tried to smother the smile on her lips as Kristin growled loudly, like wild dog.

“Now, now girls.” Jake sighed and continued reading. They always fought like that, he didn’t understand why. Why did girls always act like that? Fighting with words and cat like claws…well in Rayne’s case it was motorized vehicles, but just the same, they never seemed to get along for more than short periods of time.

“Stop playing mediator.” Rayne snarled at him. Jake blinked startled. A whole month in L.A. had turned Rayne into a vicious human being. She was acting like a cornered dog with its teeth bared.

“I’m not.” Jake stated, hands raised in his defense.

“You are too!” she shot heatedly. Jake glanced down at his feet and sighed heavily. “Pick a side, or get the hell out of the way.”

“You make it sound like this is war!” Jake yelled back, just at heatedly.

Rayne crossed her arms over her chest and looked away. She looked stunning in that red dress with big black heels on. He licked his lips and kept his glare set, trying not to let his mind wander.

“It’s not war, but she’s pushing for a fight. She has been since day one. I’ve done nothing, Jake,” Rayne looked at him, fury in her eyes. “Nothing at all and gotten crap this whole time. Everyone seems to think she’s in the right and when ever I snap back at her I’m in the wrong. All but you, you stand there and tell us to stop fighting, as if we’re children. We’re not children though Jake. We’re adults, even if I chose not to act like one all the time.” Jake gave a weak smile at the philosopher in her. “She needs to be put in her place and learn she can’t treat people like crap the way she is. Learn that one of them, is she keeps this shit up,” Rayne pointed over his shoulder at the group across the fancy hotel lobby. “Might run her over and not look back. So stop playing mediator.”

Grabbing her shoulder’s Jake laughed gently and pushed her towards the doors leading out.

“I’m playing, mediator, as you put it for your sake, not hers. I could careless if she ends up with a broken nose, but if it’s you giving it to her then that’s a problem.” Rayne stated up at his confused. “I don’t need you in trouble. I enjoy having you around, you’re a good friend,” Those words hurt Rayne’s chest. She was just a good friend to him. “I don’t want you thrown off set because she’s sucked enough dick to get it done. She’s at the point where she’s trying to get you to throw the first punch. Don’t do it.”

Jake gasped as she pushed him away from her, a deep glare set into her features. She looked so…sad? Blinking he watched her walk off. Confused he followed after her, calling after her.

“Damn it! Rayne! Say something!” He snarled in the elevator. She refused to look at him and he didn’t know why.

She didn’t want him to see her cry. Those words, those simple words that weren’t meant to hurt her but comfort her, made her want to cry. You’re a good friend, rang in her skull with power enough to hurt her chest.

“What? What’s wrong?” Jake hushed grabbing her arm and trying to make her look at him. “Talk to me.” He begged. She simply turned her head away from him. “If you can’t talk to me who can you talk to? Big Cat’ll just turn off his hearing aids and as you’ve put it everyone always thinks you’re in the wrong. So please, Rayne,” Sighing he watched her exit the elevator. “Did I do something?” He yelled following her slowly.

“Just…” She paused outside her door, digging through her little clutch purse for the key card. “Just go away.” She whispered finally finding it.

Jake growled at those words.

“Why…”his words died on his lips as he spun her around. Rayne tried to turn away or cover her face to hide the tears. “You’re crying…?” Jake questioned, the words barely audible. It had to be impossible. Rayne was so strong, so happy and free. “If you wanna beat her up that bad, then do so.” He stepped aside. “I didn’t think you’d cry, I was just looking out for you, but by all means.” His words rushed in panic.

“Just go away.” She sniffed. Turning back to her door she fumbled with the key card, tears blurring her eyes.

Jake hung his head, she was crying because of him. Had it been to kick the crap out of Kristin she would’ve smiled, hugged him, and taken off down the hallway. No. It was his fault she was crying.

“What’d I do to make you cry?” he asked watching her fumble.

“It’s not you, I just…” Stopping Rayne took in a deep breath, wiped her eyes and forced and smile at him. “I just wanna be alone.”

“Bull.” Jake deadpanned. “If it wasn’t me you’ve hugged me and run off down the hall to beat the shit out of Kristin, and if it wasn’t about me you’ve told me and then asked to be alone. I know you well enough Ray, I’ve spent nearly everyday for the last nine months with you, I know you.” He stated stepping closed to her. “Tell me what I did.” He begged.

“It’s nothing, I’m just over reacting from everything that’s happened today…” Rayne frowned as those words left her lips. She could lie and pretend she’d forgotten her period was coming up, despite the fact it’d already passed of she could leave it at that. First one, she decided.

“Don’t even.” Jake growled eyeing her. “Don’t blame it on your period you’ve already gone psycho flying bitch on a motorcycle.” She snapped with a glare in his direction. “It’s not hard to tell when you’re on the rag.”

“Wow, thanks for putting it that way jerk.” She laughed. Jake simply shrugged with a smile. “And it’s just…” Sighing Rayne looked at her feet. “I just don’t want to talk about it right now, can I tell you tomorrow?” She pressed hopefully. If he gave her the night she could then avoid the subject for months, if not years. She was good at that, but being pressing on the spot right then her brain didn’t want to think straight enough to weasel her way around the actual problem at the moment.

“No.” Her head snapped to Jake stunned. “Did you just miss the part where I said, I know you? If you can’t think of I lie here and now it’s big, and,” Jake leaned in close then wished her hadn’t, she smell like fresh fruit. “P.S.” Rayne blinked startled by his proximity. “I know when you’re lying.” Rayne snorted.

“Right, cause I haven’t fooled cops my whole life.” Rolling her eyes she glared at him, daring him to prove his point.

“If it’s a good lie, you bounce, if it’s a sad lie you pout your lips to the right, if it’s an angry lie she you’re nose doesn’t scrunch up like it usually does when you’re actually mad…need more examples?” He laughed. Rayne blew hair out of her face. “If you don’t tell me now you’ll avoid the subject like a master and it’ll eat away at you for how ever long you avoid the subject.”

“Wow…someone pays way too much attention.” Rayne giggled at him. Looking down at her feet she sighed deeply. “You really are a good friend.” A genuine smile crossed her features as she watched him.

Those same words made Jake’s chest hurt much like it had hers. The sudden urge to give her a stiff smile and walk away made him stop.

“That’s how she reacted…” Rayne frowned at the soft hushed words unable to decipher them.

“What?” She whispered confused.

Jake took a deep breath, it was a fifty fifty chance he was right but he couldn’t not find out.

“What…” Licking his lips he stood up talker, Rayne watched him. That’s how he stood when he was about to do something he either didn’t want to do or wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to do. “What if I don’t just want to be friends?” She blinked startled.

“What?” Was all she managed to choke out.

Jake’s breathing was a little ragged.

“What if I want to be more than friends?” Jake asked stepping closed. Rayne blinked, stunned, unable to find words of joy, of agreement, the energy to kiss him, or ever smile at him. All that happened was she tried to figure out if this was real or a dream. “I want to be more than friends Ray.” Jake gently touched her warm cheek. “I want to hold you, protect you, despite the fact that means just giving you a lead pipe or a stun gun,” She giggled. “I want to do so many things that I can’t do as a good friend…like kiss you.” Those last three words was nothing but warm breath on her face. “If you’ll let me.” Licking his lips he could do nothing but stare at those plump lips he wanted to devour more than anything in the words, just once if he got the chance.

“Then why don’t you?” She whispered at him.

That was all he need. Pressing his lips to her he pulled her close. Their mouths worked in sync. Rayne gave a small moan as Jake nipped at her bottom lip.

“Get a room.” Another guest yelled as they paused. Jake ducked his head in her shoulder embarrassed, Rayne simple laughed.

“We have one but we figured it be more fun out here, gotta problem with that?” She called.

Jake took her card and slid it in the door, swinging the door open.

“Jesus woman!” Jake laughed shoving her into the room and following suit quickly.

“What?” Rayne giggled.

“Now! Down to business, don’t.” Jake laughed as she hummed at him with a wiggle of her eyebrows. “Why are you, or were you upset with me?” Rayne rolled her eyes. “Tell me!” He laughed, shaking her.

“Because you called me a good friend, I don’t wanna just be good friends!” She yelled. Jake stopped shaking her and pressed his lips to hers urgently. He’d been right.

“It’s a good thing,” He paused to kiss her deeply. “We’re not just good friends then, huh?” Rayne nodded and pulled him close to her.