Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

36

Jake bobbed his head as that seemed to wrap up the most part of their story. Rayne was playing with a string on her shirt as she talked, being the one to tell the story.

“After that she stayed with me for months, I asked her to move in since she was already pretty much living with me then….” Jake clicked his tongue. “I met the family.”

“And how did that go?” Alyssa asked.

Jake bobbed his head and licked his lips slowly remember the terrifying moment of meeting all of her over protective brothers; all five of them, her father, and her ready to kill if need be mother.

“Horrifyingly.” Jake laughed. “I get along with them now and their not scary anymore but at first…they all greeted me on the front patio with stone cold looks and death threats that I still hold into account when I do things.”

“Really?” Alyssa gasped.

“Yeah. She has five brothers, who are all adrenaline junkies and pro-athletes, her dad’s a mechanic so I’m sure hooking a bomb to my car wouldn’t have been to terribly hard for him, and her mom is very very over protective since Ray’s her only girl.”

“Yeah, and all I could do was give him the ‘I’m sorry about my family’ look as they threatened him but I did warn him in the car.” Rayne pointed at the idea and nodded. “I think that’s it though, after that, got married. Mom’s got mad about it at first, then…then that was it.” She nodded.

“Wait, you’re mom’s got mad that you got married six months ago? They were reported being happy.” Jake and Rayne frowned.

“Oh, no. Not six months ago. No, no, no.” Jake laughed waving a hand at her. “That’s what we mean by, people still think it was six months ago.” Jake smiled. “Let’s just…how do I say this. A year and six months ago, Ray and I took our families to Vegas for a reason.”

“Wait…” Alyssa pointed confused now. “So…a year and six months ago you…” she trailed off trying to wrap her head around.

“Jumped off a plane, well my brother’s, dad and I jumped out of it, dragged our families to some random chapel and got married Vegas style. Out mothers’ were livid.” Rayne finished. Alyssa’s shoulder slumped. “We’ve been married a year and six months.”

Both Jake and Rayne pulled out a different set of rings that didn’t rest on their fingers, more traditional ones than the one’s they wore. Alyssa pointed at them and blinked confused. So instead Jake got up and grabbed the pictures handing them to her. In the pictures they looked almost drunk in street cloths with Elvis between them as they made weird faces.

“You didn’t tell anyone?!” She gasped outraged.

“Nope, well no one that wasn’t important.” Rayne smiled. “We didn’t want to hear the crap that we’ve been hearing but we promised out mom’s we’d have a real wedding and so we did. It just happened to get out to the public.”

“Which was okay, seeing as by that point, we could careless what people actually thought of our relationship.” Jake mused. Bobbing his head he looked around his living room, movie posters of his, or their favorite movies, Rayne’s awards and medals, and pictures of them, family, and close friends just being them. It was cozy. “Now it’s just…back lash. So that’s why we agreed to this.” Jake smiled as Alyssa.

“Wow…” Dave mused holding the picture up before the camera. “Elvis looks ready to die standing next to you two.”

“Yeah cause our mom’s threatened the King.” Rayne gasped. “We figured they’d be happy, we we’re getting married and to each other, but noooooo.” She waved her hands and rolled her eyes. “Letting Elvis, the King, do it isn’t right apparently.” With a huff out she leaned into Jake’s side more. “I felt so bad for that man after what our mothers said to him.” Jake snorted, covering his mouth at the thought.

“So a year and six months, happily I assume.” Alyssa laughed.

“Uh, duh!” Rayne snorted.

“Yes. Completely.” Jake added, pushing Rayne. “Ow woman!” He yelled as her small nails dug into his thigh. “That was completely uncalled for.” He laughed, rubbing the spot.

“Then don’t push! It’s rude!” She huffed at him, nose in the air. Jake stared confused, horrififed, and utterly lost.

“Who are you and what have to done with my wife?” He asked, laughing softly.

“She left.” Rayne stood up skipping from the room.

“Not funny!” Jake yelled still rubbing his leg. “And that hurt.” He breathed to himself.

“Is this how you guys are usually?” Alyssa laughed at the joking and odd couple.

“Minus the injury, on my part, but yes….” Jake trialed off watching his dog skid across the wood floor in the jersey Rayne had sent him a picture of earlier that morning. “Jesus woman! I thought you were joking!” He gasped at the sight.

“I’m trying to get them helmets too!” Rayne called from the kitchen. “GO! GO! GO! HOLE SHOT!” She yelled as their other dog went running around the corner. Throwing her arms up she dramatically fell over.

“Well,” Jake clicked his tongue, looking over the back of the couch at her. “Glad to know my wife came back to me.” He teased. Rayne rolled over looking at him.

“Actually she came back for her things and the dogs.” She teased back. Jake blew a raspberry at her. “Pfftt, don’t write checks your body can’t cash son.” She teased. With a scream she scrambled away as Jake jumped the couch running after her.

“Checks I can’t cash! I’ll show you woman! Get over here!” He laughed chasing her through the kitchen.

Jake huffed hands on his knees, Rayne down in the dirt of her jumps pointing and laughing at him.

“Cheater!” He yelled down the hill at her.

“Winner, winner, chicken dinner!” She screamed back dancing around.

“You can’t dance! White girl!” He teased.

“Look who’s talkin’ white boy.” In response Jake began to do the sprinkler. “Oh ya, show them white boys dance moves!” She laughed. Laughing Jake stopped and flipped her off, heading back into the house. Dave stood just inside the doorway.

“Damn,” He clicked his tongue pointing. “You got that on tape didn’t you?” Dave simply nodded.

“Fuck yeah! I love you camera dude!” Rayne screamed as she jumped around happily. “Best idea you’ve ever had!” She stopped, thinking. “Second best, Second best idea you’ve ever had.” She corrected herself.

“Brown chicken, brown cow.” Jake called passing Dave embarrassed. “Well…I’m screwed.” He smiled at the camera. “Enjoy it while you can I guess.” He added to himself.

“So, she seems to be the happy and pep to your sense of reality and sobriety.” Alyssa laughed. Jake shrugged lightly. “You’re opposite, she see’s the bright in every situation and you debate whether or not it’s a truck heading down a dark tunnel at you. Or something.”

“Usually she’s the one pointing out we’re playing chicken with said truck in a tunnel,” Jake paused and gave her a big fake smile with a thumbs up. “But it’ll be awesome.” Rolling his eyes he began making himself a sandwich. “But I love her, pat her on the back, get the hell out of the way, and yell: Good luck babe! And it works out.” Jake smiled up at her. “That and she’s the nicest person I’ve ever met. I don’t want to be with anyone normal. I like her craziness.” Alyssa frowned and Jake sighed. “She’s dancing right outside the open door isn’t she?” He pointed over his shoulder as she spoke.

“Wow, you’re good…” Dave laughed.

“I know her.” Turning he laughed at her big smile and awful dance moves. “It’s never dull around here…” He added as she turned around to wiggle her butt at them. “One sec.” Rushing through the door he tackled her off the porch. “Winner, Winner chicken dinner!” he yelled as he got up laughing at her. “Oh yeah! Didn’t see that one comin’ did ya?” He laughed. Rayne stuck her tongue out at him.

Jake slung her over his shoulder and carried her inside and tossed her on the couch in the living room.

“Abuse!” Rayne laughed as he threw her. “Abuse.” She giggled at his retreating form.

“Wow. What’s a fight look like?” Alyssa asked out of curiosity.

Both looked at each other trying to think of the last time they fought.

“No talking, no joking. Nothingness.” Jake mused. “Then a lot of swearing…on her end.”

“Oh you swear too!” Rayne giggled.

“Yeah but I don’t yell insult across the house like you do when you’re mad.” Rayne pointed. “Yeah I know I’m right!” he lifted his arms trying to look tough.

“Oh I’m so scared!” She mocked, hand to the back of her forehead and fell back into the couch.

Lifting a finger to Alyssa and Dave he walked back over to the couch, turned to them and gasped before falling over the back of it on her. Rayne began swatting and wiggling under him as she just laid there on top of her.

“My god you’re fat!” Jake laughed at her comment and wiggled into her as if getting comfortable.

“I think theirs something wrong with the couch. It’s all lumpy.” Jake mused and began throwing himself lightly into her, listening to her grunt and laugh. “Rayne!” He yelled. “I think we need a new couch!” He laughed.

“Jake!” She yelled.

“Yes?” He called before she could continue.

“Get off of me!” She laughed still struggling. Jake hummed and looked down at her with a grin.

“No wonder it’s so uncomfortable. I thought it was the couch. But it’s just you.” With that Jake hoped up and moved back into the kitchen. “yeah I know.” He stated as Alyssa’s slowly opening mouth. “We’re weird and an odd couple” He laughed.

“But it works for you.” She smiled.

“It does. And I wouldn’t change it for the world.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The End. :]